Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have posted about your success with call spreads. At what point do you typically roll them over? I have call spreads that now have about 35% of their maximum value, with 2 months to go before expiration. At what percentage of maximum value do you typically liquidate them and buy a higher strike call spread?

I'll admit that my method isn't very scientific... I basically just roll whatever spreads are getting close to ITM or go ITM. I try not to let the upper ends of the spreads get to more than roughly half the value of the lower ends.

My Mon&Tue went unproductive and shockingly upsetting.

I let go of 5 of my Q4 play calls too early, for mere change. That's on the con side.

On the pro side, I try to console myself that I didn't sell last week when we saw an intra day runup to 690, for coronavirus, or Thu/Fri when stock was manipulated. So, not the most worst outcome.

My margin is gone for the first time in like 1.5 years(-$45k) and I have +$10k in the account. I prob left $100k on the table with these 5 calls.

In the net remainder, besides my 2022 calls tailored for CT purchase, solar roof etc, I still have 4 short term calls left - 2 are gambles 750c & 800c. The others are 6/20 600c that I'm holding for 1.5 years(long term cap gains qualified) and 650c 1/21, which I can prob hold for 1 year.

My goal for these is to exercise one and keep 100 shares, use 2 others to pay for it, and sell 1 to pay taxes.

Question: what is better from tax perspective-exercise 750c and sell long term 600c and short term 800c to pay for it
OR
exercise 600c (seems I'm losing my long term gain that way?) and pay with 750c, 800c, +10k in acct
OR
sell 750c, 800c, 600c and just buy shares with proceeds? It seems I generate an extra taxable event for 1 call this way, but maybe can wait for SP drop to benefit more?

What would you do?
I'm thinking SP needs to be ~1000 for this to work out perfectly.

These extra 100 shares are actually something I didn't count on, so a nice bonus.

Now, my 2022 calls... I'm totally confused. I actually was mostly hoping for today's SP in 2022.

Do we think it will go up more in 2 years? Like what, $1500, $2000?

DaveT was projecting this price for 2024-25 I think? This is not working out how I thought it would:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rb48888 and mongo
I have a friend, a few years ago we were chatting about work, personal interest... He doesn't have lots of knowledge about stocks, but he read a lot online. He said he was worried about economy, so he sold all his stocks, waiting for a recession to get in again. That was in the end of 2012. My interest happen to be in investment. So I explained to him why his move was wrong when the stock market was undervalued. I ended up helping him to pick a few stocks and set thing up correctly. Today his account passed 9 million. Almost 10 fold. No margin, no option, no frequent trading. Learning investment is not a trivial task, but it's worth it to learn early and get good at it. When you get a chance, help your kids to learn. It will make a big difference.

I know I did the lol emoticon, but I will point out that I actually like the Mach-e, and I hope it does well. I also hope they really do develop and deliver an electric F-150 style truck, since it'll grab lots of brand loyal truck buyers.

At the same time, lol @gas.
I think Ford is a deranged/delusional parambulating disaster of a dumpster fire. Just listen to their CEO ramble on future of mobility and compare that to autonomy day...

The market sees $970 coming up, loses bowel and bladder control all at once. Grumpy old guy thinks maybe $970 is the limit for awhile.

At $1110/sh, Tesla beats out Toyota as worlds most valuable automaker by market cap.

Nothing good happens above $970, grumpy old guy mutters, nothing good.
At least you're all set up for your colonoscopy!

Thanks, Google. Absolutely nothing else happened today, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Screenshot_20200204-163719~2.png

Massive profit taking combined with short manipulation.....already back over $900 AH.

These fools need to cover and get it over with. There's no scenario where they can get out below $750 and a decent enough chance they get margin called at $1200.

Longs are not flinching and grow each day. Veeeery interested to see early volume tomorrow.

Do we think it will go up more in 2 years? Like what, $1500, $2000?

DaveT was projecting this price for 2024-25 I think? This is not working out how I thought it would:)

When FSD is feature complete and rolls out to the fleet and it's good (suggesting robotaxis are likely) then we should get another big leg at that point, or whenever the street catches up again. The same is possible with battery investor day. I don't think it's likely, but if they announce a step change in batteries that would be another huge shift. I'm thinking S&P inclusion is priced in at our current SP range.

Reactions: S3XY