Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thomas Edison:

LOL, but really ... what would be the explanation for this $60 oscillations?
Shorts trying to hold the lid?
I guess some big short is starting to get afraid of liquidation and is pulling his last effort ... we should not expect victory without any fight.
I was seeing the same thing on the eTrade chart... not in the lines, but in the numbers below. Bizzare...

This. We all hope (and many of us think) there's still a several-bagger from here, but everyone should look to their own financial situation. It can be an entirely rational decision to cut your moonshot possibilities in half in exchange for greatly improving <insert aspect of your life here>. There's no guarantees but death and taxes, etc etc.
Yep, I’ll be facing those choices in five or ten years or so, when I retire the second time. Smart predictions say Tesla has many years of growth, but I have no intention of being the richest guy in the cemetery.

I suppose the smart thing would be to tap all other investments and pensions for living/play money and keep Tesla for the emergency funds.

Yep, I’ll be facing those choices in five or ten years or so, when I retire the second time. Smart predictions say Tesla has many years of growth, but I have no intention of being the richest guy in the cemetery.

I suppose the smart thing would be to tap all other investments and pensions for living/play money and keep Tesla for the emergency funds.
Been thinking the same thing.....i.e... sell other funds to eat, drink and keep TESLA to be merry.

If you wanted to sell 2.5M shares, there were far more profitable ways to do it than driving the SP down $85. Clear short manipulation with precisely coinciding media blitz. Looks like it will have little effect. Lol

I'd like to see this SP settle down somewhere around here for a while, but the shorts are piling back in AGAIN....so it's not going to settle.

Probably more ridiculous climbing as they're forced to cover AGAIN......then folks can take some more profit and drift back down to..........

So then why wouldn't you dump earlier in the day? 10 mins doesn't give a lot of people time to react besides activating stop losses but also activating buy orders. But then again low volume after market would have a much bigger impact on sp even though there's a possibility of gapping up the next day correct?.

I think it's because the circuit breakers aren't in effect in the last 15 min of the day (not certain of this). If you trigger a >10% drop earlier in the day then trading stops and people chill. Whereas if you trigger it at 3:45 then people have unlimited ability to panic for those 15 min, plus with the market closing soon people are rushed to make a decision.

So if you were wanting to short the stock in a deep pockets way, that would be the way to do it. Trigger the drop and then let continued panic let you cover. That party could have netted $80/share in a few minutes.

Last edited:
First I journal'd, with permission of my wife, over to our two GrandPups (8 & 10) 6 shares each of Tesla (TSLA) while it was at $588.02 a share. When I was their age we used to take a small envelope to class with a nickle or dime for a savings account. So, I am hoping to educate them on the virtues of savings knowing full well they could turn out to be day traders. Bottom line ~ crossing my fingers for the best.

Now, as for my second televised football game (Super Bowl 2020). One of the few in-stadium games, or the first high school/stadium game competing at the bottom the tier of California state competition. Unknown to each of us, my wife was on the opposite team as a flag girl. She was safe from meeting me until I graduated from high school and two and three quarters of a year volunteering to earn the GI Bill in the late sixties and early seventies. As a cross country runner and track star, I watched the game from the sidelines with my first ever girl friend, that two years later dumped me for an older guy with kids ~ dodged that bullet:eek: My team, Hawthorn High, lost to Monroe High:-( If only we had had drones then for instant replay:)

The bottom line here is that NOT one of those advertisers or Pre-Existing big name auto-manufactures got the desired advertising they hoped/paid for during the Super Bowl. Not, not compared to Tesla during this big stock run-up, the end of 4Q19 results, the releasing into the wild of the Model Y, and the trickle-down releasing of Semi's into the wild during 2020. While one could say that "it takes money, to make money," I say "the bigger they are (Ford, GM, Toyota - Et Al), the harder they fall." Tesla/Elon got a bigger bang for the buck ~ the buck stops here:D

If you think the run is over, my humble non-technical uneducated slow to boil guess is that Elon took a breath today ~ just sayin':D Besides, once my two GrandPups come of age, they will be able to use the stock to buy a Model 3, Y or CyberTruck. Probably give my CT to my son-in-law by then. Do not worry, they will receive more shares over time. Grandma and I have priority on the shares for now, and I am not selling.

FYI ~ I only watched the game because my brother-in-law and sister came to town to visit. I am hoping that the station providing the game did not burnout my TV. I managed to survive the visit. They have inhaled too many of those silly little yellow pills that make otherwise intelligent humans very, very stupid. Brother dear was a family (second generation) farmer in the Sacramento Delta, could, I guess blame it on the water ~ hard as his head:confused: To him Ford is still king;) How hard can your head get?o_O

People keep asking me: "So what's going on with TSLA?"
First: No the stock (stonk) is not worth $200B... Maybe in 3-5 years it will be, but today's fair-value price is no more than $100B (and that's a bull-market scenario, bear market it could be worth half that).
So what's going on: The way I see it, you have a bunch of shorts that got destroyed on the post-earnings spike. They are now buying to cover their shorts... But they know that buying huge quantities will spike the stock price... So what do you do to mitigate losses? Buy OTM calls... But calls are thinly traded... So market makers try to ask for a premium, this rally keeps going, so they ask for larger premiums, and as the stock starts moving, they start hedging bets with buying more stocks... More fuel to the mix.
Half of $TSLA float is locked up by institutional investors who aren't trading, and while we've had high-volume days, most of these are hedges and day-traders.. Net short-interest may be down, but I'd be surprised if it was more than 8million shares.
So where does $TSLA go from here? Look at the closing drop: $100 in 15min. Buyers are exhausted, when a big whale comes in to dump a large number of shares. Or insitutional investors like $ARKK who are forced to sell for regulartory reasons, this thing will come crashing down.
I suspect we may go up over $1k or even $1150 tomorrow before coming back to $650 in the next week.
And No that's not a buy at $650... $650 is still too expensive for core holdings.

I think it's because the circuit breakers aren't in effect in the last 15 min of the day (not certain of this). If you trigger a >10% drop earlier in the day then trading stops and people chill. Whereas if you trigger it at 3:45 then people have unlimited ability to panic for those 15 min.

So if you were wanting to short the stock in a deep pockets way, that would be the way to do it. Trigger the drop and then let continued panic let you cover. That party could have netted $80/share in a few minutes.

I just feel like if you dump AH, then retail investors would think the big guns are dumping so better get out tomorrow when you still have gains. Plus you have plenty of time to think about it. Also whatever app you are using will clearly show big gigantic red color with -70 dollars as if autopilot killed Elon or something. But if your circuit breaker rule is true then that's another angel of attack.

Everyone has their own price targets, depending on age and goals. No need to be judgmental. And I believe the moral of this story was that the advice by the wealth manager to sell when SP was half what it is now was wisely ignored.

And that same, repeated, advice to sell, which was finally obeyed, will seem even more stupid when the stock is deep into 4- or 5-figures . . . .

As someone else wisely posted here, knowing what we've known for YEARS: where else would you invest the money?

100% agree. My 19 year old daughter recently got interested in the stock account I had set up for her. So she entered all her gifted holdings into a stock tracker. Today she texted me this picture.
[5 All Time High Stocks today...]

BTW, TSLA isn't her best performing stock, not by a long shot. TSLA is only up 221% in her account.

PAYC is up 775%. NOW up 440%, and MA is up 475%. There is a whole world of high flying growth stocks out there...

My reading of this... thread over the past few days. I really need to gain some confidence on trading options. :eek:

From my experience, I'd recommend against touching options. I've almost got destroyed with them, and not only did I think I knew what I was doing I was, as many here may view it, very conservative with them (long term and in the money calls, and cash covered out of the money short puts).
I know it's common wisdom, but just buy shares and hold long term. Don't let those short term outsized gains of some members lure you into gambling.