Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used profit from options to add more shares, and sold mid term OTM calls against these shares. If it stays flat, the option premium will reduce my cost a bit, I can sell covered Calls again. If it goes up, I will let go the trading shares. Then sell OTM Puts. If it drops a lot, I plan to buy more. The ultimate goal is to increase shares.

I don't sell Calls against my long term holdings.

Who is he accusing of doing the insider trading? Tesla should sue him for defamation if he has no evidence.
He didn't get into specifics, just complained about Musk promising things (he called it puffery) and how the price has gone up beyond any reason. So this has to be insider trading. He said he actually likes what Tesla is doing with EVs and solar energy but thinks this is all manipulation. He is clueless about the real manipulation of course.

With some shame I have to admit I temporarily got shaken out. So yeah, I'm a weak long now. I rode it all the way down from 350 to 178 and kept buying. The lowering of my average price insulated me against the drop last spring.

But the last 20 hours the manipulations, the huge movements and the amounts at stake were getting too much for me. So I cashed out at 760 this morning with a profit op $520k (yep, I know I could have chosen a much better moment as that is near the low).

I will look if I can get back in over the next weeks when things settle down, because I fully believe in the long term prospects of this company. Maybe I'll start writing puts and buying long-term calls, but I first need to switch provider to be able to do that as my current provider does't offer options. Sorry guys for participating in this drop. :oops:

I could be wrong but I don't think he's ever been wrong so much as had a wider margin of error than people thought was acceptable but otherwise his numbers were accurate as to the general trend.
He's absolutely gotten the direction of a move wrong before. That's pretty critically wrong.

He's implied that whatever is happening is happening outside of his data sources.

Also, SpaceX is valued once a year I think - which makes this a very long term investment with significant tail risks: funds have no obligation to tell you their weighting in advance, so you'll lag behind.
Twice annually 'liquidity events' allow investors to add or subtract from their positions. Valuations are set by a 3rd Party Accounting firm, so no 'bidding' process like the Market.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
Did you know TSLA is in a bear market now?

Here's the proof:

EQBrHk5UwA0nnnQ.jpg

Oh CNBC...

Nothing wrong with retail longs selling >$600. There are so many institutional investors in now that none of these fluctuations matter anymore. Literally none of the positive events for 2020 have even happened yet!

We need to give it a rest with the warnings about selling regret. After all.....our handfuls of shares mean nothing now.

An update on my fidelity saga. They are processing my transfer of shares again. They were refusing to transfer my shares to another broker. It’s an ira account (margin not allowed in iras) was supposedly refused by their margin department although no margin in the account. I suspect they loaned out the shares and are trying to get them back (they’re not allowed to loan out shares on a non margin account. They refused the transfer for bogus excuses for 3 days, the time allowed to return loaned out shares

I think you need to report them to the Secretary of State/Attorney General ASAP.

Virgina Consumer Protection Hotline might be a start:

1-800-552-9963

Last edited:
He didn't get into specifics, just complained about Musk promising things (he called it puffery) and how the price has gone up beyond any reason. So this has to be insider trading. He said he actually likes what Tesla is doing with EVs and solar energy but thinks this is all manipulation. He is clueless about the real manipulation of course.

I hope he brings in a bunch of new shorts with his "analysis". That would be great!

FWIW, I'm closely following the coronavirus facts (to the extent it's possible), and while the daily growth of new patients in Hubei has slowed from 50%+ to 20%, it's still very rapid growth that is going to strain the health infrastructure of China.

There won't be any lifting of the quarantine in Hubei until growth of new cases has gone negative, plus 15 days for the max incubation period. I.e. we are at least 3 weeks away from the lifting of the quarantine - but probably more.

Shanghai is in much better shape, there's only a trickle of new cases, suggesting that there's no exponential outbreak on the loose within the city/state.
Just a note, this will likely increase the number of cases the coming days:
Wuhan "Fire Eye" lab beings trial operation, able to complete 10,000 nCoV PCR tests per day. : China_Flu

With some shame I have to admit I temporarily got shaken out. So yeah, I'm a weak long now. I rode it all the way down from 350 to 178 and kept buying. The lowering of my average price insulated me against the drop last spring.

But the last 20 hours the manipulations, the huge movements and the amounts at stake were getting too much for me. So I cashed out a 760 this morning with a profit op $520k (yep, I know I could have chosen a much better moment as that is near the low).

I will look if I can get back in over the next weeks when things settle down, because I fully believe in the long term prospects of this company. Maybe I'll start writing puts and buying long-term calls, but I first need to switch provider to be able to do that as my current provider does't offer options. Sorry guys for participating in this drop. :oops:

You've got to do what you've got to do. I sold my call yesterday when the SP was near $960 so feeling good about that right now.

However, I question a bit selling ALL your shares. I mean 25%, 50%, but all? Again your call and obviously you did very well buying under $200 so that helps a lot. I think the stock will hit $980 at minimum before potentially having a longer term pullback, but I'm really just guessing.

I am very glad I sold my call, but still hold 100% of core shares and happy to continue to hold.

How do you know this?
It's called "Level 2 Quotes". You can get them through most Brokers with a sufficiently priviledged trading account. @Cherry Wine has been kind enough to post the occasional screenie from the App.

Basically, if there's a steep 'wall' of sell orders waiting on the Order Book at a certain price, it'll take a lot of buying before the SP can exceed that level. Pile it up high enough, and it becomes a 'sell wall', capping the share price at that level.

We need to give it a rest with the warnings about selling regret. After all.....our handfuls of shares mean nothing now.

When I recommend that people don't trade their long shares in good growth companies in an attempt to profit from the volatility, it has nothing to do with the minuscule impact it has on the share price. It's all about personal investment returns. You seem to be conflating the two.

Had to put my cash to work today. The volatility and options premiums make spread trading profitable in light of the risk.

Bought 100 tsla @ 755 and sold 1 covered 200207C770 Call for credit of 26$

and sold

1 200207P740 Put for credit of 23$

This will force me to buy tsla @ 705 if the options expire worthless and tsla does NOT go below 705

Reactions: reardencode
TBH, I'm actually impressed that the shorts managed to pull that one off with their shenangians yesterday afternoon and this morning. That's one hell of a sell-off, with volume, even after the uptick rule was activated.

Now to see if we recover this week. The uptick rule screws up their manipulations for Thursday and Friday, but they can still cap it...

Indeed, yesterday's 9% drop set the closing price without triggering a pause. That low value set the floor for today's day drop. Without that first step, we would have flattened at $864 or so.