Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if we are using the same reference to IV.

I haven't seen TSLA below 40% IV in all its life. Maybe it did dip below from time to time, but I don't recall noticing it. We are currently at about 90%. The day it peaked was 125% or so.
At the end of October, I noticed that IV of LEAPS was well below 40%. I found that to be insanely low and it probably has reflected the fact that for several years prior TSLA was range bounds, so historic volatility was low. Apparently iv was even lower before (?). I have also figured at that time that Tesla has reached the point where it has not merely produced the best premium cars, but it also would become the lowest cost premium car maker. Moreover, the market would soon realize that. So I figured that TSLA will break out from the range bound, and option prices with low IV-s are mispriced.
Then I acted on it and a couple of days later I signed up also to this forum. I keep striving to post absolutely accurate negative comments about Tesla that gathers the most disagreements. (Going to seekingalpha to learn negative things about Tesla, no longer works. All TSLAQ articles are either manipulative garbage or clueless.) I feel since TSLAQ does not help us find the problems we have to do it.

To get back to IV: A vlogger who disassembles battery (name? link?) made a youtube video a little bit later presenting his options trading strategy based on the mispriced options with low IV. He bought a bunch of OTM calls and puts. His strategy was correct.
To summarize: Options were mispriced with very low iv-s couple months ago. The higher iv reflects the fact that TSLA became much more volatile. I have no clue whether the current options are priced correctly now or not.

So who is selling in pre market ...not much volume but SP is down 2.5 percent.

I’d assume it’s shorts trying to set the tone for the day. If macros hold up, we should be ok. The only thing that worries me is the uptick rule no longer being in effect. Shorts might try to pile in after being handicapped yesterday.

Thank you so much for posting this. I was literally thinking ALL NIGHT in my sleep, "Are there any ships taking cars to be delivered? How many cars are going to be delivered this quarter?"

So you answered one of my questions. Wish you had posted last night though - maybe I would have gotten twice as much sleep with half as many questions on my mind. :)

Yah I was kinda wondering too. Has there been Tesla’s being delivered anywhere in the last 5 weeks? I don’t think Canada has any, inventories were depleted world wide at end of last quarter, I don’t think they have been making many US variants yet as most are headed overseas. I’m hoping this doesn’t shape up like last year first quarter when mid February came and they essentially had very few delivered. Where have deliveries been taking place. ?

Yesterday, for first time saw a Toronto Transit Commission Electric Bus in service. The World is going electric. No doubt about it.
Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 9.15.51 AM.png

EDIT, next time I see one, I'm getting on, no matter whether it's heading to the office direction or not.

IMO all POLICE vehicles should be Tesla, due to fast acceleration, safety, longevity, low maintenance and long range.
But let's not confuse those crooks. Change the Police graphics to POL EVS, move the Police graphic to right or left of Tesla logo, or move the Tesla logo to above the Dual Motor badge.
View attachment 508870
I remember being warned not to buy used police cars because significant time they idle seriously underestimates the effect that mileage has on “age” of car. Electric cars of course don’t idle

I wonder if they are talking about a separate DC-DC converter directly connected to the main pack? Maybe a separate set of contactors so that the car can power accessories even when the drive rails are de-energized?

I would think Tesla would consider this a serious void of warranty if they are directly accessing the traction battery. Very unlikely IMO. I suspect the article is incorrect and confusing things. Seems to me accessing an existing accessory circuit would be sufficient. The DC to DC supply in almost any EV should be more than capable of supporting some LED lights and low power radios. The reason they do not need a second 12v battery is related to a weakness in ICE vehicles that does not exist in EVs. This is all my read of it so YMMV.

Reactions: scaesare
Based on FactChecking's great tip the other day of the site that collects all reports of new 2019-nCoV cases, I wrote a script to automatically generate CSVs that are easy to make graphs from, so I can do it regularly. Here's the first output. Overall, the situation is looking good, as it stands.

View attachment 508866

View attachment 508867

View attachment 508868

View attachment 508869

It looks like the buildup - and now, a (hopefully sustained) decline - was due to the incubation period before the government stepped in to try to keep people at home.

Great news. There is an increase in local transmission in other countries over the last few days - hopefully slowing the export of Chinese cases will happen before local transmission reaches critical mass so as to be self-sustaining.

Yesterday, for first time saw a Toronto Transit Commission Electric Bus in service. The World is going electric. No doubt about it.View attachment 508872
EDIT, next time I see one, I'm getting on, no matter whether it's heading to the office direction or not.

There is no reason for the rear to blocked in an electric bus,there should be a window there.

Much more pleasant experience. No diesel/CNG noise and vibration but also much more sunlight at the rear of the bus and less claustrophobic with sightlines out the back.

images

I’d encourage you guys to review AlanSubies comments and graphs on the following thread. The Y is not more efficient than the 3 and the EPA numbers are using a different scaler for each model. Based on my quick calcs, the Y gets about 295mi range vs the 3 getting about 320mi combined. I’m all for the improvements being made to the Y but we should have all the facts before making the long case.
Model y battery upgrade?
No magic, huh ?

Exec summary: the test protocols vary between the cars; awaiting dyno and US06 raw data from the EPA

There is no reason for the rear to blocked in an electric bus,there should be a window there.

Much more pleasant experience. No diesel/CNG noise and vibration but also much more sunlight at the rear of the bus and less claustrophobic with sightlines out the back.

images
True, but the bus manufacturers don't want to invest in a new body style. Also, more windows equal more heat in the buses which are already way too hot.

A German channel did a comparison M3 LR vs Tycoon Turbo - and the Taycan has similar range (-6%) tested at 90+ mph, which is normal cruising speed at Autobahn Germany. And also Charging Speed in Kilometers is faster if charged to 80%, but even to 50% on V2 Superchargers Taycan I faster. I am a Tesla Fanboy but Taycan seems to be legit, I compare Taycan to Model S and it's a shame, Model S is sooooo sloooow charging it's not even fair!

I can't wait for Bjorn to get his hands on a Taycan to perform his standard battery of tests that can be compared against all the other EVs.