Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is so simple. The carriers are the responsible ones. They know the devices are in moving vehicles and they can act on that knowledge but they don't. They are responsible IMO and have been for these thousands of deaths related to distracted driving.
First, people should take individual responsibility on everything (including their health). Second, So the passengers in the car can't use their phones either, do I have that right?

Reactions: SoGA Fan Club
WTF? This lady is using this place as a point to soapbox about wages? Terrible logic in any event. If more people HAVE safety systems then that's preferable to fewer people having less than perfect systems.

Anyway, am I the only one expecting a Giga Austin announcement in the near term? Elon is spending a lot of time in Austin.

"Elon is spending a lot of time in Austin."

Great music and social town....

btw: city is less prone to tornadoes and destructive weather although I seem to recall it's a fully employed market.

So, did the NTSB time it so the the findings, conclusions, and recommendations were read out after market close?
Made me a little panicky, but fear was unwarranted, back to normal breathing.

Closing statement by chairman:
'In this crash, we saw several facets. We saw an over reliance on technology. By the driver. We saw distraction by the driver. We saw lack of policy prohibiting PED use by employers. By the employer of this driver. We saw infrastructure failure, Caltran CHP they didn't do what was required to fix this barrier. And when all of these combine, we end up with a tragic accident and one less father that's coming home to the child he had just dropped off to school that morning.

We urge Tesla to work on improving automatic -- autopilot technology and for NHTSA to fulfill its oversight [typo from closed captioning] speedometer to ensure that correct corrective action is taken when necessary. It's time to stop enabling drivers in any partially automated vehicle to pretend that they have driverless cars. Because they don't have driverless cars. I'll say it for the third time. '

Cars with Level 2 driver assist = one death a year? (less?)
Cars without???? hmmm.... mysteriously they seem to be lacking some really important information.

Did anyone catch this nonsensical statement from the Chairman? He comes from an aeronautical background and tries to say the brand name of Tesla's Autopilot is misleading (presumably because it's not fully automatic as the name "autopilot" implies) but then he concludes that both ground and airplane autopilots require human oversight. So, I guess this naming problem goes back to early airplane autopilot naming. But in all his years at NTSB, I bet he never once suggested airplane autopilots were misleading!

I have a -- I have a personal belief that the term autopilot may not be from a safety point of view the most well branded name. Does anyone agree with me on th>> Yes. It's just an observation. It's a neat thing. It'll steer your car. But -- I -- have a lot of time on autopilot at 35,000 feet. But I still had to watch that thing.

Duh!

Did anyone catch this nonsensical statement from the Chairman? He comes from an aeronautical background and tries to say the brand name of Tesla's Autopilot is misleading (presumably because it's not fully automatic as the name "autopilot" implies) but then he concludes that both ground and airplane autopilots require human oversight. So, I guess this naming problem goes back to early airplane autopilot naming. But in all his years at NTSB, I bet he never once suggested airplane autopilots were misleading!

Duh!
Let's hope he is grounded now; an unpilot as it were. :p

Model Y March deliveries. I’m seeing orders from 2/5/20 and 2/7/20 being contacted for delivery. One of those is in Seattle and not with Autopilot option.

what do I need to read into this? It seems even some early California performance Y orders have not been contacted. Is this just allocating a paint color/seat combo? Demand has got to be outrageous compared to current production, so why the late orders getting filled?

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11 and MikeC
I agree. I need to sift through the model again and make sure there were no egregious errors on my part. I went through the assumptions of that PA Consulting report - they basically assumed robust EV sales. As you say, very curious.
Maybe their "target" was just to at least get max super-credits since they knew it would be impossible to have no fines.

Let me give the closing argument, but first let me buy some of them 2000 calls...

"Judge, Gentlemen and ladies of the esteemed court... I come to Praise autonomous driving not to bury it.
Every single damn one of you at some time or another while behind the wheel has been a hindrance to the safety of yourselves and others. And on a personal note a PITA to me. Many of you that drove here have been such TODAY, others as they leave here will be such.
To the common man you are all a-holes, but to this review board WE ARE THE PROBLEM. All of us are included in "WE."
Now this dear man, Elon Musk, and the fantastic vision he has of taking the damn steering wheel out of your worthless ephen hands...
OH! Forgive me, I still occasionally suffer a flashback to the many times I have succumbed to road rage. It will pass...for the moment.
As I have started to tell of this noble creature, Mr. Elon Musk has started to protect me from you, and thereby is going to protect you from me and my road rage. You see, soon, very soon, he will relieve me of having to pay attention to your pathetic driving habits no matter how noble your effort, and also relieve you of the feeble attempts you have made to safely navigate the roads of this great Nation.
And to do this he will bring the gift of FSD to all (for $7000 at the time of vehicle purchase). Already, this great man has saved enumerable people from death, disfigurement, and dismemberment. WHy I offer as exhibit "A" the event during a 100 years storm in Great Britain that would not be noteworthy had it only been one family that was saved by the great work of the great man, but TWOOO families were saved from certain tragedy had their vehicles not had the watchful eye and assistance of this great invention. One coming from one direction, and the other from the other direction...A single tree falling could have killed several people in both automobiles. And yet all lived, none harmed. Families remained intact. Children will grow and make grandparents of their parents. And the great work of a great man is responsible.
And the conclusion...
If this committee has any recommendation let it be that ALL cars be equipped with FSD going forward.
Let's eat!"

Long story short:

Lots of blame on cell phone manufacturers, car manufacturers, etc ...instead of the guy sitting in front of the window that could have seen the situation right in front of him. Adults are adults. They should be responsible for their actions. It's a shame society has begun to point fingers at everyone except the one that's truly and solely responsible.
It's similar to the comic when the 1950's era parents are in school with the teacher and asking the kid to explain the bad grades. Shift to today and parents are asking the teacher to explain the bad grades.

Model Y March deliveries. I’m seeing orders from 2/5/20 and 2/7/20 being contacted for delivery. One of those is in Seattle and not with Autopilot option.

what do I need to read into this? It seems even some early California performance Y orders have not been contacted. Is this just allocating a paint color/seat combo? Demand has got to be outrageous compared to current production, so why the late orders getting filled?
am just playing the strategy game here...if there is going to be a real effort to get the highest number of cars out that is possible perhaps those closest to the factory will be contacted the last week of the quarter. that way when a car is starting to get in the production line they can call a local to pick it up the next day.
Just a guess.

Ah, I'd forgotten where the setting was. Its under "Do Not Disturb" and on my phone is set to activate "automatically". Since I now have a car with bluetooth it might make sense to change to "When connected to car bluetooth".

My underlying point is this: Apple (and maybe Google, I don't use Android and don't know) already has the feature. The most serious complaint I could see levied is that it is discretionary not advertised better.
There was a lot of publicity when the driving DND first came out. However, that was a few years ago so I suppose Apple believes that everyone is aware of it. (I'd suggest that it should be defaulted to Automatic rather than off).

Reactions: humbaba