Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So was at the Tesla service center today and I have to say people really do love their Tesla or the company more than they deserve..lol.

Was talking to this guy who took his kids down to FL for a Disney vacation. His new Model 3 performance with 6k miles on it decided to throw the "reduce power" error near the end of the trip of 1500 miles. Service center said it's an issue most likely related to the coolant pump but will fix it for him in the next few hours.

Have to say, the service center in Central FL is absolutely amazing. They will squeeze emergencies in and take care of the problems asap.

Anyways, he said his dad was telling other family members that his Tesla require service and he was like "I told my dad it's really not a huge deal". Talking about a happy camper whose new car broke down in the middle of a road trip and down playing the inconvenience/significance.

Don't you want the newest MCU not just for the games but for reliability? I thought MCU1 had only 64gigs of flash memory and breaks eventually due to written daily logs.
Sure, we'd prefer the newest MCU, but we're not going to go out of our way to pay another $2500 for it on a 2012 vehicle. Hopefully, when refurbishing MCU1 units, Tesla has been putting in a flash memory chip (eMMC) with more storage than the original, but I don't know. In any case, the original MCU in the car seems to have lasted at least a few years before its eMMC failed, so we're not super concerned about reliability. (We bought our 2012 Model S pre-owned from Tesla in 2016.)

It is indeed remarkable that Tesla is continuing to avail its very earliest Model S vehicles of both software and hardware updates. Hopefully, when the time comes, replacing the main battery pack will turn out to be a reasonable proposition. Really looking forward to "battery day".

MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade is now official, and will cost $2,500:

Infotainment Upgrade

EDIT: They're pushing people that want priority on this upgrade to buy FSD:

"Owners with Full Self-Driving Capability will receive early access to the Infotainment Upgrade and a complimentary upgrade to the Full Self-Driving Computer during their appointment. Purchase Full Self Driving Capability from your Tesla app or Tesla Account to enjoy priority access the Infotainment Upgrade. Learn more about the Full Self-Driving Computer."
Just got this email. We will get the upgrade for our 2017. We already are in line for the FSD 3.0 upgrade.

Re: MCU Upgrade

Adding my $.02 as we’re also shareholders: We will be performing this $2500 MCU retrofit on our 2017 S100D as soon as it’s available. We use our rear facing seats all the time and I love opening the sunroof. Both of those options are gone now. We’re very happy with the range and deep down, my smugness over free supercharging can’t be denied, a new S 100D is just not in the cards.

We also prepaid for FSD when we ordered in 2017 and while I know there isn’t much divergence currently, I’ve wanted dashcam and sentrymode. Being able to throw on YouTube for the kids will also be a nice plus.

Since we planned to hang onto this car for a while, I feel like this is a fabulous upgrade at a reasonable price. A 2-channel dashcam plus installation isn’t cheap and the matrix seems to indicate this will enable recording for all cameras.

Relevance to investor thread: How many “like me” owners are out there? Obviously doing the MCU upgrade at the same time as their obligated AP3 upgrade saves SOME tech time, but they already charge $2500 to do MCU upgrades for folks with broken MCUs out of warranty, so...

$2500 plus $2500 prepaid FSD minus shop time minus MCU cost minus AP3 chip cost times number of folks who will opt for this = ???

Re: MCU Upgrade

Adding my $.02 as we’re also shareholders: We will be performing this $2500 MCU retrofit on our 2017 S100D as soon as it’s available. We use our rear facing seats all the time and I love opening the sunroof. Both of those options are gone now. We’re very happy with the range and deep down, my smugness over free supercharging can’t be denied, a new S 100D is just not in the cards.

We also prepaid for FSD when we ordered in 2017 and while I know there isn’t much divergence currently, I’ve wanted dashcam and sentrymode. Being able to throw on YouTube for the kids will also be a nice plus.

Since we planned to hang onto this car for a while, I feel like this is a fabulous upgrade at a reasonable price. A 2-channel dashcam plus installation isn’t cheap and the matrix seems to indicate this will enable recording for all cameras.

Relevance to investor thread: How many “like me” owners are out there? Obviously doing the MCU upgrade at the same time as their obligated AP3 upgrade saves SOME tech time, but they already charge $2500 to do MCU upgrades for folks with broken MCUs out of warranty, so...

$2500 plus $2500 prepaid FSD minus shop time minus MCU cost minus AP3 chip cost times number of folks who will opt for this = ???
MCU2 upgrade is free for people that bought FSD

MCU2 upgrade is free for people that bought FSD
I do not believe this is accurate when you read through their recent post. You get a “complimentary” AP3 chip upgrade at the same time as the optional MCU2 upgrade, but not a free MCU2 if you prepaid for FSD.

Some think this may eventually be necessary if they can’t run AP3 on MCU1, while others think they’ll just dumb down the visuals on MCU1.

After-action Report: Mon, Mar 02, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

VWAP: $716.46
Volume: 20,215,016
Traded: $14,483,199,485.52 ($14.48 B)

Closing SP / VWAP: 101.96%
(TSLA closed ABOVE today's Avg SP)​

Comment: "SP followed macros at a multiple until After-hrs, then took off"

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE – 2020-03-02.png

I'd like to add one thought in relation to the MCU2 upgrade availability and Tesla service progress. Quite recently, we took our Model 3 in for service on a couple of relatively minor concerns, its first service center visit since we bought it in 2018. Via the Tesla app, I noticed that service appointment slots were plentiful here in inland Southern California. Within a day or two of scheduling an appointment, someone from our service center called to ask if we'd like to take in the Model 3 right away, as they were a bit slow that day.

It appears to me that, at least in some key regions, Tesla's service infrastructure may now be more than adequate for present needs. This could be a function of improvements in manufacturing and reliability, combined with more service resources coming online. Tesla's willingness to use its service centers to offer optional upgrades further supports this thesis. From my standpoint as an investor and customer, this is bullish!

I'd like to add one thought in relation to the MCU2 upgrade availability and Tesla service progress. Quite recently, we took our Model 3 in for service on a couple of relatively minor concerns, its first service center visit since we bought it in 2018. Via the Tesla app, I noticed that service appointment slots were plentiful here in inland Southern California. Within a day or two of scheduling an appointment, someone from our service center called to ask if we'd like to take in the Model 3 right away, as they were a bit slow that day.

It appears to me that, at least in some key regions, Tesla's service infrastructure may now be more than adequate for present needs. This could be a function of improvements in manufacturing and reliability, combined with more service resources coming online. Tesla's willingness to use its service centers to offer optional upgrades further supports this thesis. From my standpoint as an investor and customer, this is bullish!

Keeping service well under control is all amount nailing Model Y reliability from day 1, that is what i expect.

So Model Y can help fund a geographic expansion of service without overloading existing service locations....

I agree with Elon, Service Centres and Superchargers are the kind of advertising that works every time someone drives by.

And hearing about a friend getting good service at Tesla is again great advertising... plenty of reasons to aim high...

Reactions: abasile
Re MCU1 failures: this is only a problem for certain MCU1s in a specific VIN range. No MCU1 replacements purchased recently (and even manufactured BEFORE a certain VIN range) have the eMMC problem. I know this for a fact from an experienced long-term Tesla employee who would know.

Tying this to short term movements, these options add $$ for Q1. I like :).