Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So odd to see a sell-off (well, maybe not with how manipulated TSLA stock seems to be) when GM is basically saying: (i) Tesla has done what we should have done years ago; (ii) Tesla has done it really well; and (iii) we are going to try to get into the EV market in a big way (but, we are way behind). Also, competition is good - backs-up the Tesla thesis, and will likely take away from ICE sales not Tesla EV sales.

How is this a selloff? The stock is holding stead in spite of the low volume manipulation going on. Every time it drops somebody is picking up the bargain shares.

Maybe you haven't been paying attention but it's normal for wait times to decrease in the US at the end of the quarter. It's what management has termed "the wave". Domestic deliveries are filled at the end of the quarter with cars fresh off the production lines. The longer wait times earlier in the quarter are due to earlier production being slated for ships (so they too can be delivered overseas by the end of the quarter).

Make sense?

I’ve been paying attention since 2012, thanks.

I appreciate the opinion. I don’t appreciate the snarkiness.

How is this a selloff? The stock is holding stead in spite of the low volume manipulation going on. Every time it drops somebody is picking up the bargain shares.
TSLA was down substantially compared to the markets earlier today (likely in anticipation of the GM event), and TSLA is still down on a huge up day for the markets. And, yes, there is clearly relatively low volume manipulation going on (again, likely enabled by this GM event).

We were down substantially compared to the markets earlier today (likely in anticipation of the GM event), and are still down on a huge up day for the markets. And, yes, there is clearly relatively low volume manipulation going on (again, likely enabled by this GM event).
But Tesla was up a bunch yesterday compared to the whole market. Also remember the spring is getting compressed again.

Anyone catch when GM plans to have their "massive" battery factory online? Even if you assume their smallest 50KWh packs for all vehicles, those 30 GWh are only going to be enough for 600,000 vehicles. I suppose if that's a starting capacity targeted for next year that's pretty decent, but if that capacity doesn't come online until, say, 2023, that's not particularly impressive and seems like it would be meant to satisfy compliance requirements.

"General Motors claims that through its joint venture with LG Chem, announced late last year, will drive their battery costs down to below $100 per kWh."

GM Unveils Battery with Capacity Twice as Big as Tesla’s

By the way.. I noticed in GM's presentation that the 'below $100 per kWh' is at the cell level, not at the pack level.

Isn't Tesla already at the $100/kWh level at the cell level? I believe Tesla's battery day will reveal ~$100 per kWh at the pack level.

Anyone catch when GM plans to have their "massive" battery factory online? Even if you assume their smallest 50KWh packs for all vehicles, those 30 GWh are only going to be enough for 600,000 vehicles. I suppose if that's a starting capacity targeted for next year that's pretty decent, but if that capacity doesn't come online until, say, 2023, that's not particularly impressive and seems like it would be meant to satisfy compliance requirements.

Mary Barra said in her opening remarks that G.M's new EV line would debuting in 2025. At least they have a lot of time to build out their battery capacity.

So is this sales "slump" of the Model 3 in Europe YTD due simply to Tesla diverting cars to sell elsewhere in the world?
So is this sales "slump" of the Model 3 in Europe YTD due simply to Tesla diverting cars to sell elsewhere

Renault Zoe Shines In Hot Market — Europe EV Sales Report | CleanTechnica

Renault Zoe Shines In Hot Market — Europe EV Sales Report | CleanTechnica

No shipments to Europe in Jan
These are January numbers.

Reactions: neezer
Some things I would like to see or answered in GM's presentation
1 battery source or factory
2 evidence that these will not be merely compliance cars including geographic distribution, price and volume production
3 price and specs that will compete with ICE versions from both GM and others.
4 price and specs that may attract EV buyers even if not equal to Tesla
5 OTA integrated system
6 address dealer issues maybe like Saturn
7 long distance charging
I'm not holding my breath however.

You're me, right? Is this it, seriously? What a joke!!

General Motors to spend $20 billion through 2025 on new electric, autonomous vehicles

The company declined to break down how much of the $20 billion would go specifically to all-electric vehicles but said that the amount includes capital and engineering resources.