Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know where to begin on this.

Let's just say that on the way to becoming a millionaire many times over, I have paper "losses" more than 100 times as large as the millions that I took home in the form of realized gains.;)

You are counting "paper losses" on intra-day price moves, aren't you? Or do only end of day closing prices count? ;)

Taken to the extreme, we can count losses anytime the bid price drops from the last trade.:rolleyes:

@dha stated that paper losses are real losses. You seem to disagree, but it is not clear from your response how you view the difference.

Can you define the difference between a paper loss and a real loss and give explicit examples of each?

@dha stated that paper losses are real losses. You seem to disagree, but it is not clear from your response how you view the difference.

Can you define the difference between a paper loss and a real loss and give explicit examples of each?
I assume your question is genuine and not sarcastic. I believe he means "paper loss" here as unrealized loss, meaning if you don't sell the stock, the loss will never be real. As stated many times here, it's all depending on your investment horizon. If you are long term investor and believe in Tesla, you know the share price will come back and beyond current level one day. It may be 3 months, 6 months or >1 year. The point is Tesla has good roadmap, good product line, name recognition, and executes well. I don't have doubt that Tesla will emerge stronger after all these settle down.

Here is one: You can't deduct a paper loss from your taxes because it isn't real yet.

Circuit Breaker rules:

Level 1 halt (on -7%)
  • Trading will halt for 15 minutes if drop occurs before 3:25 p.m.
  • At or after 3:25 p.m.—trading shall continue, unless there is a Level 3 halt.
Level 2 halt (on -13%)
  • Trading will halt for 15 minutes if drop occurs before 3:25 p.m.
  • At or after 3:25 p.m.—trading shall continue, unless there is a Level 3 halt.
Level 3 halt (on -20%)
  • At any time during the trading day—trading shall halt for the remainder of the trading day.

I assume your question is genuine and not sarcastic. I believe he means "paper loss" here as unrealized loss, meaning if you don't sell the stock, the loss will never be real. As stated many times here, it's all depending on your investment horizon. If you are long term investor and believe in Tesla, you know the share price will come back and beyond current level one day. It may be 3 months, 6 months or >1 year. The point is Tesla has good roadmap, good product line, name recognition, and executes well. I don't have doubt that Tesla will emerge stronger after all these settle down.

Sorry, but tax consequences aside, the loss is just as real as any other loss, whether you sell or not.

Here is one: You can't deduct a paper loss from your taxes because it isn't real yet.

‘Agree there may be a difference in tax consequences, but I took his meaning to extend beyond that.