Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Questions -

Let’s say demand for Tesla cars in NA drops due to the stock market plunge now and, in Q2. What could happen? Could China GF3 pick up the charge with battery production being siphoned to there?

Also, anyone remember/recollect, who was an investor in Tesla (pre-IPO) back in the last recession, the style of decision making Musk has during those times?
The thing that first got me to really believe in Musk and Tesla was the meeting in the Santa Monica store when all the people who had Roadsters on order heard him talk about the hard stuff, how the cars were delayed and would cost more than we thought, how stuff we'd been told would come with the car was now extra, but he was very frank and explained that it was necessary to make money on the cars or they wouldn't be there to service them later. Part of this meeting appears in the movie "Revenge of the Electric Car" (2011). Elon doesn't shy away from making hard decisions.

I didn't buy your shares. Instead, I bought options; MMs are using your former shares to delta-hedge my options buys ;)

(I think this was a really bad move on your part, BTW, but to each their own. Would have been better to PUT-hedge if you're scared of further collapse. I'm just started to profit take from my PUT hedges)

what you bought?... not an investment advice question ;)

If he continues to bobble basic communication of what's in the EU travel restrictions like last night (which IMHO precipitated this mornings dive), he won't make it to the election. Anybody see a risk of a Twenty-fifth Amendment Constitutional crisis in the next month if SHTF with a feeble response to a US outbreak? VP Mike Pense is aready doing the #ELBUMP in spite of Trump's handwaving.

His bungling of a national crisis proves he is not fit for office. This is an impeachable offense (unfit for office).

Any CEO of any American corporation would be forced to resign immediately after such an obvious and serious bungling (people will die) and I don't see why impeachment should be any different.

I panicked. Sold all my shares @ 557

You should have waited one more minute, because it's 580 now :p

If you waited one more month, it will be up much more. If you waited one more year, it will be up much much more.

"Fear is the mind-killer." --Frank Herbert, Dune

What has changed about Tesla's dominance in renewable transportation and energy, the global need for renewable transportation and energy, the colossal profit-potential of robotaxis, Tesla's stupendous lead in driving data and AI, Tesla's rapid expansion of production capacity, and the imminent TSLA catalysts such as Battery Day, S&P 500 inclusion, and Model Y crushing of competition?

Calm down and think.

I bought some dumb calls in April. Hoping delivery+model y+ battery day send us soaring quickly. Haha horrible decision in this environment

Long-term or short-term?

what you bought?... not an investment advice question ;)

March '21. The pandemic will have long since washed over and the economy had time to recover.

7300 Naz target hit as predicted and yes we also hot the circuit breaker like I thought we would...3-4 days ago when I said Naz 7300 would be hit not many believed me, they didnt want to believe me...we absolutely must hold this level today and rest of week or this is gonna get real ugly like full on long term bear.

Bought first tranche off TSLA at 564.00 this morning....will watch now.

For societies sake, I really hope Naz 7300 holds.

Been pounding the table on Naz hitting 7300 for a week now...you guys notice the intraday low on Naz while down over 600 points...7295!!!...;)...now we gotta hold today and tomorrow....want to see a huge intraday hammer candle today.

• Informative
Reactions: riverFox
I think it's pretty obvious that recent events have all but eliminated any chance the President has of re-election. That means there's a very high likelihood the next president will have much more progressive policies when it comes to renewable energy. And that's probably an understatement!

I'm calling this a win for the environment and a win for Tesla going forward.

If he continues to bobble basic communication of what's in the EU travel restrictions like last night (which IMHO precipitated this mornings dive), he won't make it to the election. Anybody see a risk of a Twenty-fifth Amendment Constitutional crisis in the next month if SHTF with a feeble response to a US outbreak? VP Mike Pense is aready doing the #ELBUMP in spite of Trump's handwaving.

Is this good for Tesla, or bad? Certainly could roil the markets in the short-term.

His bungling of a national crisis proves he is not fit for office. This is an impeachable offense (unfit for office).

Any CEO of any American corporation would be forced to resign immediately after such an obvious and serious bungling (people will die) and I don't see why impeachment should be any different.
While this might be considered off-topic, I venture to claim that is is indeed pertinent to present market conditions and plead for MODS to agree.

I agree with the above gents' reasoning. On the other hand, the prospect of #25 Am. US Const. is not new and still needs what amounts to more or less a Republican Coup. On the third hand, Pence may now finally see the ammo he needs to climb his own stairway to Heaven -- to corn a semaphore mix. :p

I’ll take the other side. I’m in all cash since Friday and building a large put position in a specific stock I’ll keep unnamed for now because I am not done building the position.

Due to the incompetence of our government (USA), this thing is just getting started. We’ll be getting near the bottom (hopefully), when both our crisis and our response to the crisis starts looking like Italy.

So my unwillingness to share what stock I was buying puts on is already working against me lol. There is no liquidity in the options for it, so I'm going to mention it in case anyone wants to come join the fun. It's Toyota. Buying Oct puts because that's as far out as I can buy. Low IV relative to many other stocks, but also very illiquid with very wide bid / ask spreads, so be sure to use limit orders. Come join the fun!

Also, 'building a large position' just means large relative to my investable cash. Peanuts for most on this board.

If you waited one more month, it will be up much more. If you waited one more year, it will be up much much more.

"Fear is the mind-killer." --Frank Herbert, Dune

What has changed about Tesla's dominance in renewable transportation and energy, the global need for renewable transportation and energy, the colossal profit-potential of robotaxis, Tesla's stupendous lead in driving data and AI, Tesla's rapid expansion of production capacity, and the imminent TSLA catalysts such as Battery Day, S&P 500 inclusion, and Model Y crushing of competition?

Calm down and think.
Exactly. I. Sure everyone here thats holding has a friend saying "you have balls of steel", I sure do - hear it.
But I come here to understand from some of the most experienced investors ever.

One thing I've pondered often is this. When some sells shares out of fear, that's not rational. But when they adjust leverage... that's somehow not also trying to timing the market? I'm pretty certain there was a lot of deleveraging here going on this month. Having troubles distinguishing the two scenarios.

Who has margin calls? In an economic analysis such as this, the fact that only a very small percentage of all Americans who comprise the economy have margin debt renders any margin calls as nearly inconsequential.

Unexpectedly, the traditional car makers that I recently short sold are down by more than the Tesla stock I bought for the proceeds, so at this time I am (even) further from a margin call than when I opened my short positions.