Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes I have read post after post of MM being the impetus. But I do not know how they find the shares available to use the strategy. And how it can be such a dramatic drop. And they can do it day after day.
You're kidding right? You know that "naked short selling" means selling the shares short without locating them first?

And that Market Makers are ALLOWED to do so via the 2007 "Madoff Rule"? Justified by providing "liquidity" but specfically disallowed to support their own proprietary for-profit trading, only allowed for their market making role.

I've literally linked to dozens of articles on the SEC website and other places, hundreds of times. Is this becoming an issue you care about only now?

Or did you forget the /s in your question? If not, my 'not advice' is 'do your own research'.

Guys, I can't tell... any idea if this 'Lora Kolodny' is biased against a specific company or not? o_O

upload_2020-3-13_9-54-35.png

You forgot the /s
I am very sorry to be blunt, but while I was being humorous, this time I was in no way being sarcastic. Not everyone will die from the Coronavirus, but even those who do die will not hurt the factory. It’s dumb the stock market has to take a swing when all the economy is doing is taking a vacation, but whatever dumb thing the stock market does shouldn’t mean a differential outcome for Tesla (or most any huge publicly listed company for that matter): Tesla will be economically sound just like everyone else, vacations and funerals and all, since more than enough good enough people will survive to make that happen. That hasn’t changed.

Electric cars are still cost effective for a lot of buyers, and even budget minded used car buyers will support the new car buyers by making a market for the new car buyers to sell into with the usual ladder through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd owner. Discretionary spending cutbacks will give way to sensible replacement of the personal fleets and the economy isn’t shutting down forever. When’s the last time you saw more Model S’s than Model 3’s? Tesla is slowly moving closer to mass market yet has huge demand problems: a too much demand problem, not a not enough demand problem. Model Y and Cybertruck will exacerbate that problem. Finally the new Roadster will be their first totally impractical car in years, and that’s a long ways off.

Last edited:
I am very sorry to be blunt, but while I was being humorous, this time I was in no way being sarcastic. Very few people will die from the Coronavirus, but even those who do will not hurt the factory. The idea the stock market has to take a swing when all the economy is doing is taking a vacation is a dumb idea, but whatever dumb thing the stock market does shouldn’t mean a differential outcome for Tesla: Tesla will be economically sound just like everyone else, vacations and funerals and all, since more than enough good enough people will survive to make that happen. That simply hasn’t changed,
I just advocated it's use to designate the humor in your post, not necessarily that you were being sarcastic... I use it for both. I could tell you weren't being serious, but others were having a hard time.

Maybe we should start using /h...

Reactions: jw934
Please feel free to move my post, just thought it's relevant to short term price movement:
House GOP wants Trump support before backing coronavirus bill
Reps are not willing to sign off on the bill without Trump's approval. So my guess is Trump is going to announce his approval at 3 pm, taking credit for the stim.
Not advice.
GOP doesn't hold the house, they control the Senate. Unless this headline is wrong, its a non-issue what House GOP representatives want.

when the article starts with misrepresentation (I quoted it) I don't usually bother with the rest. Are you part of the lawsuit suing Musk? Is any member of TMC who holds shares a party to the lawsuit? How about Cathy Woods? Or any other large shareholder? ....

I gathered you didn’t likely read the article from your comment. FWIW Long term shareholder here and bought significantly below current price. Don’t plan on selling during this downturn or any time in near future and believe Tesla will weather this just fine down the road so don’t know where your comments are coming from. Seeing boogey men around every corner calling out me, TMC members, Woods? Geez.

Please share how to identify the bottom if you don't mind.

As someone who jumped at 700, bought at 640 and jumped again at 580, I've thought about this a lot lately. I'm thinking in 10-15 days when convention centers are filled with hospital beds and I'm getting a constant stream of NYtimes notifications on celebrities and politicians that have died, that'll be the time. I do hope that never happens and I completely miss the bottom.

I gathered you didn’t likely read the article from your comment. FWIW Long term shareholder here and bought significantly below current price. Don’t plan on selling during this downturn or any time in near future and believe Tesla will weather this just fine down the road so don’t know where your comments are coming from. Seeing boogey men around every corner calling out me, TMC members, Woods? Geez.
I also read the article and found it to be very informative. I wasn't aware about the way they handle lawsuits there and I hope Elon takes the advice, which I think he will.

GOP doesn't hold the house, they control the Senate. Unless this headline is wrong, its a non-issue what House GOP representatives want.
I think it's all connected, house rep, Mnuchin, Senate, Trump. Earlier there was a tweet about Mnuchin/Trump backing out because they didn't get what they want. So I think either one of 2 things: pay roll tax or Trump getting to announce it. If it's the first, we're ****ed. If it's the second, it's fine, if only juvenile. He needs all the helps he can get for re-election. ALL OF THEM.

There is virtually no limit to the number of virtual shares they can create. They have thirteen days to cover, which means in practice they are never required to cover.
how and why is that legal at any time?

Mod: You are clogging up the forum with questions that have been answered multiple times before. Please do your homework. Just look up @Artful Dodger 's back articles for explanation. --ggr

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the timing of Trump's announcement is interesting, just before markets close on Friday.
I would take this as bullish, like declaring 'national emergency' which would allow releasing massive funds (US friends, is this the case, right? - like EU comments this morning).
I would also assume some of the people close to him (and banks) may have explained the situation is critical, so this would rule out another 'ban EU flights' negative comment, which would kill the market effectively.

Or are they really that stupid?

Reactions: Thekiwi
OT but I've possibly been exposed myself. A guy in our building has a family member who has it (he isn't sick but that doesn't mean anything). Will be my last day in office for the near term.
Please feel free to move my post, just thought it's relevant to short term price movement:
House GOP wants Trump support before backing coronavirus bill
Reps are not willing to sign off on the bill without Trump's approval. So my guess is Trump is going to announce his approval at 3 pm, taking credit for the stim.
Not advice.
Spineless sycophants.

Or are they really that stupid?
He only allows yes men near him.

I expect a bullish jump and then digestion of the real world issues over the weekend bringing things back down.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
Trump to declare a national emergency in response to coronavirus

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/13/coronavirus-latest-news/

“The declaration would allow the administration to utilize the Stafford Act, the federal law that gives FEMA responsibility for coordinating disaster relief efforts, to provide emergency funding to state and local governments. President Trump plans to declare the national emergency this afternoon during a 3 p.m. news conference, according to a senior administration official.”

Last edited: