Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk says 'coronavirus panic is worse than virus itself' in email to Tesla employees - Electrek

Musk is an absolute idiot on this. The Board needs to make him stop saying this *sugar*. The so called “panic” is necessary to stop the spread of the virus. I don’t understand how someone has smart as him on certain issues can miss this blatant fact.

And yet we go through influenza seasons with half a million deaths on a regular basis without anyone blinking an eye or shutting down the economy. 8 million annual deaths due to smoking and 4 million annual deaths due to outdoors air pollution aren't generating any screaming headlines, public panic or mandating any draconian measures either.

But here we are, buying toilet paper and shutting down businesses.

Last edited:
And yet we go through influenza seasons with half a million deaths on a regular basis without anyone blinking an eye or shutting down the economy. 4 million annual deaths due to outdoors air pollution isn't generating any headlines or mandating any draconian measures either.

But here we are, buying toilet paper and shutting down businesses.

please read the research, I beg you, you will understand why it is necessary to shut down society once it has reached the level in the community that covid19 has here. please read why the UK govt backed off their stance of letting the virus work through the population. the science is clear.

mid we let the virus spread in our communities undeterred we will have a cascade effect to our health care system that will cause far more than 4 million deaths.

please read the research, I beg you, you will understand why it is necessary to shut down society once it has reached the level in the community that covid19 has here. please read why the UK govt backed off their stance of letting the virus work through the population. the science is clear.

mid we let the virus spread in our communities undeterred we will have a cascade effect to our health care system that will cause far more than 4 million deaths.

Pretty sure the research azaz is referring to (or at least part of it) I just posted a link in the coronavirus thread.

And I strongly urge everybody to go read the paper, or at least the abstract. Highly readable, thorough.

Reactions: Drumheller
Elon Musk says 'coronavirus panic is worse than virus itself' in email to Tesla employees - Electrek

Musk is an absolute idiot on this. The Board needs to make him stop saying this *sugar*. The so called “panic” is necessary to stop the spread of the virus. I don’t understand how someone has smart as him on certain issues can miss this blatant fact.
Jeez... Elon Musk telling his employees that they can stay at home if they feel uncomfortable or ill but he will still be coming to work regardless.

Refers to Covid-19 as a form of the common cold.

This is to be honest reaching the point where I am having to completely recalibrate my prior assessment of the man.

Pretty sure the research azaz is referring to (or at least part of it) I just posted a link in the coronavirus thread.

And I strongly urge everybody to go read the paper, or at least the abstract. Highly readable, thorough.

it’s not just that one. That one is a 10 on the panic meter, but all the research makes it pretty clear, the worse your testing is (and ours was horrible) the more you have to socially isolate after. You have to break the chains of transmission or your health care system becomes overwhelmed.

Reactions: Drumheller

You need to understand what "Panic" is. Panic make people do crazy irrational things that are FAR worse than the virus itself.

Let me give you some examples from my experience of what damage "panic" has done.

-All pharmacies have absolutely ZERO children anti-fever medication or milk. So what are parents suppose to do with toddlers with a fever right now? Risk being infected and go to an ER?

-Our hospital is now hiding surgical masks and N95 masks because employees are raiding them. We actually have pts that are in isolation with nurses scrambling for masks

-Many people have express poor attitudes toward Asians in general and I have experienced many incidents of this.

This is the type of panic Musk is talking about. It's absolutely worst than the virus. Practice sensible precaution is great, raiding groceries stores or pharmacies due to panic is NOT.

You need to understand what "Panic" is. Panic make people do crazy irrational things that are FAR worse than the virus itself.

Let me give you some examples from my experience of what damage "panic" has done.

-All pharmacies have absolutely ZERO children anti-fever medication or milk. So what are parents suppose to do with toddlers with a fever right now? Risk being infected and go to an ER?

-Our hospital is now hiding surgical masks and N95 masks because employees are raiding them. We actually have pts that are in isolation with nurses scrambling for masks

-Many people have express poor attitudes toward Asians in general and I have experienced many incidents of this.

This is the type of panic Musk is talking about. It's absolutely worst than the virus. Practice sensible precaution is great, raiding groceries stores or pharmacies due to panic is NOT.

Don’t put word in Musk’s mouth. He’s made it pretty clear in his tweets and emails (he called it a form of the common cold!) that he doesn’t understand why we are taking the measures we are. He thinks the whole thing is overhyped.

Panic buying of supplies is dumb, what’s worse is not understanding why every single professional is telling us we need to break the chains of transmission ASAP. And apparently he no longer trusts medical experts because they once misdiagnosed his malaria? I’m sorry, but this is an indefensible position.

Don’t put word in Musk’s mouth. He’s made it pretty clear in his tweets and emails (he called it a form of the common cold!) that he doesn’t understand why we are taking the measures we are. He thinks the whole thing is overhyped.

Panic buying of supplies is dumb, what’s worse is not understanding why every single professional is telling us we need to break the chains of transmission ASAP.
A strong and independent board would be making an intervention against the ceo at this point.

Panic buying of supplies is dumb, what’s worse is not understanding why every single professional is telling us we need to break the chains of transmission ASAP.

And did he provide any advice contrary to the recommendation from public health officials? He sent out an email to his employees (mostly male, 20-50 years old, in reasonable good health working in a factory) stating risks of dying is lower than dying in a car crash. That is true.

The Shanghai plant was up and running for a few weeks now, in a region where Corona virus ran rampant. Shanghai was a ghost town and yet we don't see any indication of mass infection affecting the plant operation. Tesla knows what they are doing. They have the track record proving it. I honestly don't have any issue with the Fremont plant continue operation.

Not sure which employees he’s referring to when he says they can feel free and stay at home at their own choice because that’s not the case with the factory. Maybe he’s talking about the Palo Alto HQ staff.

There's zero correlation with the level of hysteria being witnessed and other societal health problems. Outdoors air pollution and smoking together kill 12 million people annually and I'm not seeing any draconian measures or public hysteria to bring these numbers down.
Thanks for your post. It gives me the confidence to refrain from buying TSLA and to continue holding index puts through any market bounce on Tuesday and Wednesday. You are not an outlier here so feels like there is still a big chunk of the money that has not yet reconciled themselves with what the world is facing.

I can't help it, I have to rebut your fear-mongering.

Panic isn't necessary to perform prudent acts.

PANIC is BAD.