Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Announces Date for First Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Webcast
PALO ALTO, Calif., April 15, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Tesla will post its financial results for the first quarter of 2020 after market close on Wednesday, April 29, 2020. At that time, Tesla will issue a brief advisory containing a link to the Q1 2020 update, which will be available on Tesla’s Investor Relations website. Tesla management will hold a live question and answer webcast that day at 3:30 p.m. Pacific Time (6:30 p.m. Eastern Time) to discuss the Company’s financial and business results and outlook.

What: Date of Tesla Q1 2020 Financial Results and Q&A Webcast
When: Wednesday, April 29, 2020
Time: 3:30 p.m. Pacific Time / 6:30 p.m. Eastern Time
Q1 2020 Update: http://ir.tesla.com
Webcast: http://ir.tesla.com (live and replay)

Not everyone... so there's hope!

Not sure if this is on topic - part of greenfield discussion for next GF. Anyway, about that Texas coal fever - and this appears recent data.
Texas - State Energy Profile Analysis - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

"Coal

Texas is the largest lignite producer in the nation.

Texas has more than 9 billion tons of estimated recoverable coal reserves, almost 4% of the nation's total.89 The state is the largest lignite producer in the nation and is among the top 10 coal producers overall.90 Lignite is the rank of coal with the lowest heat value. It is used almost exclusively for power generation, usually at coal-fired power plants near the mines.91 Substantial lignite deposits are found in narrow bands in the Texas Gulf Coast region.92 Higher-grade bituminous coal is located in deposits that run southward from north-central Texas to the Rio Grande Valley at the state's southern border.93 Although coal was primarily produced from underground mines in Texas before the mid-1950s, production at those mines ceased decades ago, and now all of the state's coal production is from surface mines.94 Lignite is recovered at eight surface mines, and one surface mine produces bituminous coal.95 In 2017, one of the state's lignite mines closed because the power plant it supplied with fuel shut down.96,97

Texas is also the largest coal-consuming state.98 On a tonnage basis, Texas lignite accounts for more than one-third of the state's coal consumption, with nearly all the rest of the state's needs met by subbituminous coal brought from Wyoming by rail. The lignite mined in Texas is consumed entirely within the state, and almost all of it is used to generate electricity. Lignite is delivered directly to Texas power plants by conveyor belt, truck, or rail. A small amount of coal is delivered to industrial facilities in the state"

However, actual coal use for electrical generation is down to 20%.

960x0.jpg

Not much sway on the downside now. Upside remains to be seen. I think GS doing a 180 on their view on TSLA is very significant. Think about it: GS is one of the largest, if not the largest lender of shares to shorts. Their revenue from stock lending has just about 100% margins. They were in the thick of the manipulations during the several bear raids of the stock. They even had an intentionally stupid analyst to spout their non-sensical, uninformed calls on the stock. Over the past 3 trading sessions they have covered their short positions and have gone long in a big way. After the P/D results were announced, I figured that the chances of meeting S&P requirements for inclusion were pretty close to 50%. Now with GS's sudden "Aha" moment, I believe the chances for S&P inclusion have gotten significantly brighter.
BYW, I like your most-symmetrical-puppy-in-the-world Avatar the best.

exactly

and yes, the big borrowers & lenders from inv bank perspective are GS, MS, JPM, BAML

but they don’t come close to the size/qty of agent lenders like black rock, northern trust, state street, and other managers of some of the largest mutual funds and pension funds

the question is, once tesla is mainstream enough to be added to more funds will it be easier for the inv banks to puppet the stock around like they have in the past, due to more margin shares available to borrow on the street, or will the building of sizable holdings drive the price up so far that we don’t even care if it gets taken for a 100-200 ride during the process? and does the ESG movement (i imagine its part of the reason GS tossed tamberino and ‘it’s an auto stock’ to the curb)

• Love
Reactions: BBone
TL;dw the Model Y heat pump wins ;)

Cheers!

How did you draw that conclusion? The Model S totally cleared the front windshield of snow more thoroughly than the Model Y and it did it using less kWh of electricity. The Model Y used more electricity per hour of being on "Hi". Where is the efficiency some were expecting?

Answer: The Model Y has a heat pump AND a resistive heater. In very cold temperatures it is not significantly more efficient than a fully resistive heater. In this non-scientific test, it was actually less efficient. This should not be a surprise.

That said, the heat pump is a great improvement in milder climates like the one I live in. A large portion of my driving is in 45-55 degree weather that is ideal for a heat pump.

Sorry for the Texas Tea Topic, it was fun tho. I was just testing my luck at being a "standup comedian" on this forum, lol...abms.

Try a different second career. Is advice.

Besides, all those people that just hold while I get admonished for ever selling TSLA... Side trades keep this exciting because otherwise, why even come here? If you're certain about $3,000 SP and have zero intentions of trading until then, why not just set an alert and go watch some golf on TV or something?

Occasionally there’s some real good info here and golf has sucked since Nicklaus and the gang retired. I’ve watched so much TV lately that all I’ve got left to view is Tiger King and I just won’t go there. You can’t make me.

I’m not sure of $3,000 SP - that would be a 100 bagger. Haven’t thought that far ahead; like to live in the moment. Okay, just thought about it; yeah $3,000 shouldn’t be a problem.

I’m just hanging around because the day’s going to come when I get to say, ‘I told you so’ to soooo many people. Imma bust with happiness on that day. So you just keep on day trading and trying to time the market to make a few bucks and keep that adrenal pumping and the cortisol levels high.

Answer: The Model Y has a heat pump AND a resistive heater. In very cold temperatures it is not significantly more efficient than a fully resistive heater. In this non-scientific test, it was actually less efficient. This should not be a surprise.

That said, the heat pump is a great improvement in milder climates like the one I live in. A large portion of my driving is in 45-55 degree weather that is ideal for a heat pump.
Yeah, below 10C or so, the heat pump is only in the 1-2 COP range. However, the Y ditched the cabin PTC heater. It has two low voltage heaters for zone control, but most aux heat comes from running the compressor motor in an inefficient manner. Similar to how the Y/3 drive unit is is the pack heater.

• Informative
Reactions: Eugene Ash
I think the financial results that will be posted at end April are "irrelevant" ...

Clearly all businesses have been affected by Corona virus and lockdowns..
I have seen photos of Los Angeles over a 2-3 week period and the clear skies tell it all.
People around the world are seeing the sky !!!

So the bean counters will go 'tut tut' Tesla profit is down ... terrible and the stock price will fall ..
I will be jumping in a buying quickly ...

Why ? Because the general public will remember the clear skies ... and they will buy EV ... and Tesla is way ahead of its competitors.

My view ...

Update on Giga Berlin from today
Seems like Giga Berlin could be delayed by a few months. No idea if Tesla can get preliminary permits for pile driving until the public display time frame of the changed permits is over. Preliminary permits can get issued if the approval of the permit is very likely.
On the bright side, in this time frame China may FINISH another Gigafactory section.
Shows what a truly motivated country can do.

I think east coast is better b/c the center will lag adoption and we have a plant on the east coast. What am I missing? Maybe it's a Daniel Boone strategy to make friends with the Indians? (Or was that the "Long" Ranger? Oh, here we go...)

The center is all excited about the Cybertruck. Let the East and West coast have all the SEXY they want. We will take the Cyber.

According to 10 Things You Didn't Know About 'The Beverly Hillbillies'...

6. The Beverly Hillbillies came from Missouri
In the pilot episode, the narrator at one point says, "Let's take them back to their home in the Ozarks and see how this whole thing got started." Series creator Paul Henning was, in fact, from Missouri in real life. The state contains much of the Ozark mountains, so it makes sense that Henning gave the titular family members a similar origin to his own.

Edit: Back on topic, TSLA seems to be hanging around $730 this afternoon, which @Artful Dodger says is where the Upper Bollinger Band will be at the open tomorrow. I'm not sure what that means for tomorrow's trading.
Good to know, back to the "seement pond" (it's 84 in the desert today)

• Funny
Reactions: Prunesquallor
The Model Y has a heat pump AND a resistive heater. In very cold temperatures it is not significantly more efficient than a fully resistive heater.

Telsa solved that long-standing problem by engineering the new Model Y heat pump design to include a local heating loop. This allows the heat pump to self-prime itself where other heat pumps fail to start the cycle due to cold temps. Once the heat pump is started and operating normally, it then continues to operate more efficiently than a resistive heater, even in cold temps.

Here's how Elon described the Model Y heat pump on the recent 3rd Row Podcast: (time index 5:18)

"The thing that's really interesting about the heat pump design is that it has a local heating loop. So heat pumps typically encounter issues around -10 to -20 C. They have a problem spooling up. Essentially they can't get going, the cycle can't get going.

"So the solution that the HVAC team came up with was to have a local heating loop. So the thing will basically just sort of spin itself up and get hot locally before opening another valve that then tries to heat the cabin.

"So a heat pump with a local loop. That local loop part is very important for low temperatures and that's where really I think a lot of heat pump designs fail is they don't have a local heating loop"​

Paging @mongo

Cheers!

Last edited: