Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I liked this one further down from Shane Parrish that’s applicable to Elon/Tesla/SpaceX:

Successful people are just unsuccessful people who know how to recover from mistakes.

He also has this one:- The Stoic Emperor on Twitter

Rapid learning requires a high tolerance for looking stupid.

Brilliant.

Why have protocols if each person does as they please ?

Are you kidding me? I’m being punked. Right? You’re having fun with me. Jerking my chain. Because no sober, rational, intelligent human claiming to be a medical doctor could possibly pose that question with a straight face. Come back when you’re ready to be serious and have a coherent discussion.

Adding: Still waiting for you to answer the questions posed to you about what actions you’ve taken to implement the solutions you’ve been talking about since January. Or are you still in the talking phase of your study?

Last edited:
Your graph shows TSLA down 11%! I guess that's from high (near opening of pre-market) to low, but that doesn't jibe with the normal practice (of counting rise/fall from previous close).
This is NASDAQ's graph. Every equity is reset to 0% change at 08:00 ET. The daily change in % is relative to that point.

Showing change from yesterday's Close hides After-hrs and Pre-Market moves. But AGAIN, this is from NASDAQ.

Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) Interactive Chart

It looks like you are a high-functioning individual who "get's it".

Elon could have done what you are recommending without first making controversial comments but a true master has to pique interest and curiosity to gain a willing audience. Otherwise good rational and convincing arguments fall on deaf ears.

Short-sighted and superficial people appear unable to see how Elon is gaining a voice in this debate as it develops daily. They can only see the skin of the onion while everyone knows an onion has many layers. Elon is getting people to look at the layers inside the onion. It's so obvious it's comical to watch those who criticize him as if he is an emotional idiot who doesn't know exactly what he is doing.

Looks like others on twitter agree with you that this was a brilliant marketing move

David F on Twitter

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 11.45.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 11.49.32 PM.png

Looks like others on twitter agree with you that this was a brilliant marketing move

David F on Twitter

View attachment 537663
View attachment 537664
To be clear, I don’t think Elon was thinking about brilliant marketing ploy, he was just expressing his honest opinion. I am just posting something I saw on Twitter. But it has definitely helped in opening up this discussion and if it ends up helping them with marketing, all the better!

David F on Twitter

View attachment 537663
View attachment 537664
If anything, appealing to the heartland is a byproduct of his goal. He has already said he has more orders than he could possible hope to fill in the next few years for CT.

I think it's pretty clear that he believes Fremont can be safely reopened (with proper protections in place) and he needs to kick ant nests to do it. Doing so will help His own interests along with employees and the hundreds of thousands of people engaged up and down the supply chain for Tesla.

*** PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: ***
  1. There is now a new Sub-Forum entitled "Smak Elon Tweets"
  2. Sub-categories include:
    1. Co-vidiocracy: "Is it the best form of Gov't, or our current form?"
    2. The Biggest Loser: "Stay at Home and Post Edition"
    3. Bird Song: "Sanctimonious Murmuring"
    4. Finally, for All Else: "Smak Elon's Mom Tweets"
  3. Kindly redirect all matching discussion to the approriate sub-Reddit (where you find all the feathers you need to fluff your nest)
  4. All Else, Please Stay On Topic.
Warning - If Zombies Chase Us I'm-tripping You.png

This has been a PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT.

Thank-you.​

271,550 RMB = $38,450

If Made-in-China Model 3 Is going to keep getting cheaper to produce, to the point it is significantly cheaper than model 3 from Fremont, then I’m wondering if the MiC 3 (and MiC Y once it enters production) becomes the model that serves more markets outside North America and Europe (actually the 3 could serve Europe as well for 2020/2021).

Tesla could then reallocate Fremont 3/Y capacity more heavily towards the (eventually) higher ASP/margin Y, while the MIC 3s earn bigger margins internationally and/or could be sold at cheaper prices for markets where price is a barrier to adoption.

(Totally selfish hope on my part so we get potentially cheaper models 3/Y units in New Zealand).

If Made-in-China Model 3 Is going to keep getting cheaper to produce, to the point it is significantly cheaper than model 3 from Fremont, then I’m wondering if the MiC 3 (and MiC Y once it enters production) becomes the model that serves more markets outside North America and Europe (actually the 3 could serve Europe as well for 2020/2021).

Tesla could then reallocate Fremont 3/Y capacity more heavily towards the (eventually) higher ASP/margin Y, while the MIC 3s earn bigger margins internationally and/or could be sold at cheaper prices for markets where price is a barrier to adoption.

(Totally selfish hope on my part so we get potentially cheaper models 3/Y units in New Zealand).
You have to back out 20K worth of incentives. It's still more than the US built SR+

You have to back out 20K worth of incentives. It's still more than the US built SR+

On yesterday’s earnings call management confirmed shanghai built model 3s are already cheaper to build than Fremont model 3 (and looks like will get significantly cheaper still in future);

Zachary J. Kirkhorn -- Chief Financial Officer

Yeah. And on the manufacturing cost portion of the question, the cost of vehicles produced in Shanghai in Q1 is already lower than the cost to produce the Model 3 in Fremont, and there's still significant opportunity left to take costs out. So fixed cost absorption from higher production volumes, which are occurring in Q2 and will occur through the rest of the year were not fully localized on the supply chain yet. And so while a lot of the supply chain is localized, it's not complete, and there's additional opportunities there. And so we'll continue to bring the price down and expand margin -- costs down and expand margin even with this reduction in price that Elon mentioned on the standard range version of the vehicle.
So the question remains - why would Tesla choose to send cars from Fremont to international markets when the Shanghai produced car would be cheaper and provide more profit? (all else being equal) - once they have excess capacity in Shanghai of course.