Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The downside for Newsom of authorizing Tesla to open is if Tesla becomes a hotspot for coronavirus. He doesn't want to risk taking the blame.

What is the downside for Congress critters of getting Tesla included in the automotive relief package?

There will just be pissed off constituents and their families if the fail to bring home the pork.
That's not the only risk--or even the important one. The one they are concerned about is losing campaign contributions from fossil fuel companies and their allies. They are in this for money and nothing else.

Observations

Pace is still just mind blowing.

Piledriving to extend the power workshop complex. Substation extension building almost done (tricky part is the inside though) , room for 4 additional massive transformers.
Screenshot (153).png

North east corner of Model Y complex gets a ramp to the 2nd floor. Wild guess: Model Y complex could be designed to produced way more vehicles than the Model 3 complex -> two "lines" and thus exits needed. Model Y complex will look quite different from Model 3 complex.
Screenshot (151).png

Phase 3B (very south east) is being build rapidly as well, some parts got heavy foundations.

... but the expense rules for GM are little different than they are for Tesla.
In this respect, I must differ vociferously. GM is NOT vertically integrated. In many cases >75% of ttoal vehicle cost including CAPEX is done by third parties. In the Bolt, for example, the entire running gear was designed and is manufactured by LG in Korea. The BIW was designed and is built by GM Korea using mostly third parties.

Accounting for those expenses has little resemblance to that of Tesla which is highly vertically integrated and does all design in house.

The two companies are so structurally dissimilar that equating them is equivalent to equating Amazon with Sears. Bluntly, there is no comparison in accounting rules because company structures are totally disparate.

Sorry if I seem rude. I do not wish to be. However, this subject cannot be dealt with at a superficial level.

That's not the only risk--or even the important one. The one they are concerned about is losing campaign contributions from fossil fuel companies and their allies. They are in this for money and nothing else.

If FF companies and their allies controlled California officials then Tesla wouldn't exist.

In California Tesla didn't even face the inability to sell direct.

FF interest couldn't stop a carbon tax in California

Nor did FF interest stop the increases in gasoline/diesel charges last year.

Average gasoline prices today in

California $2.74
Oklahoma $1.39

The downside for Newsom of authorizing Tesla to open is if Tesla becomes a hotspot for coronavirus. He doesn't want to risk taking the blame.

What is the downside for Congress critters of getting Tesla included in the automotive relief package?

There will just be pissed off constituents and their families if the fail to bring home the pork.

I really depends on the power of lobbying groups.

We are seeing the hottest month ever on human history, I am not seeing NRDC or Sierra or MoveOn serious about working with congress that EV cannot be excluded.

Tesla is lone wolf and it does not support unionization. UAW is a bigger force for Democrat part and GM / F executives are pretty much inline with Republicans. Tesla holds very little water.

UAW political contribution: 98% Democrat, 2% Republican
United Auto Workers Summary | OpenSecrets

GM donation history
OpenSecrets

TESLA donation history
OpenSecrets

The traditional automakers are much more involved in the politics.

Observations

Pace is still just mind blowing.

Piledriving to extend the power workshop complex. Substation extension building almost done (tricky part is the inside though) , room for 4 additional massive transformers.View attachment 539275

North east corner of Model Y complex gets a ramp to the 2nd floor. Wild guess: Model Y complex could be designed to produced way more vehicles than the Model 3 complex -> two "lines" and thus exits needed. Model Y complex will look quite different from Model 3 complex.
View attachment 539276

Phase 3B (very south east) is being build rapidly as well, some parts got heavy foundations.
I ask again: Anyone know how many total Model 3/Y vehicles will be produced per week at Giga Shanghai when construction is finished?

I ask again: Anyone know how many total Model 3/Y vehicles will be produced per week at Giga Shanghai when construction is finished?

In the Q4 letter Tesla said it expected Shanghai Model Y capacity to "be at least equivalent" to Model 3. In the Q1 report, Tesla said the goal was 4K/week Model 3 production rate by mid-year.

4K/week production rate is likely a low-ball estimate especially over the long run -- real target is likely at least 5K/week Model 3 -- so my assumption is they are targeting >500,000/year Model 3/Y production in Shanghai when production of both is fully up and running.

What's weird (to me at least) about GF3 construction is that there doesn't seem to be THAT many construction workers. Yes I know the site is gigantic and they are spread out. Still, doesn't seem to be thousands of workers almost tripping over each other. The number of workers here doesn't seem unreasonably high compared to when I used to work at construction companies in my youth. And half of them looks like they are walking around in groups most of the time anyway..

I always thought they built so fast in China by throwing people at the projects. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. Yet it seems like they are building at three times the speed of western countries.

Every time a new video comes I think I'll skip this one. Can't possibly have happened that much since the one four days ago. Then I watch it and I'm always wrong.

Is Tesla planning on restarting Fremont without Alameda's permission? SF Chronical is claiming some workers are already back on the job.

Tesla gearing up to restart Fremont car manufacturing, in possible shelter-in-place violation

This whole "essential" vs "non-essential" business is a farce. One of the weirdest, non-logical "laws" we've been forced to follow. Just go into a Costco, Walmart, or Target to buy clothes and then think about all the other clothes stores forced to close, regardless of precautions.

On the other hand, you can go to a McDonalds drive-thru, buy a quarter-pounder with bacon and a McFlurry, but most ice cream shops have been forced to close.

Edit: looks like ice cream shops are ok to open now, but you get my drift. Ice cream is NOT essential by any means.

Last edited: