Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A new video from GigaBerlin:

27 May 2020 Start foundation work. A really big bustle on the construction site. Now that the building permit for foundation work has been issued, things are moving ahead at full speed.

Wow! Finally some movement. I was getting tired of looking at parked heavy equipment. Do we know whether they will be allowed to use pile foundations? At one point someone said that piles were not allowed because of the water table/supply, but it looks like thy're doing a static pile test.

A new video from GigaBerlin:

27 May 2020 Start foundation work. A really big bustle on the construction site. Now that the building permit for foundation work has been issued, things are moving ahead at full speed.

Would be great if someone with construction experience could explain what is happening in the video, why they are doing what they are doing and in what order!

Wow! Finally some movement. I was getting tired of looking at parked heavy equipment. Do we know whether they will be allowed to use pile foundations? At one point someone said that piles were not allowed because of the water table/supply, but it looks like thy're doing a static pile test.

Someone somewhere (sorry can't remember) said that the length of the piles were important regarding the water table. And that is part of the reason for the testing.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Anybody that sells TSLA because the Q2 deliveries were smaller than they wanted... is an idiot. It's obviously a temporary problem and the company will be doing amazingly in future quarters. Stock prices are supposed to be indicative of future performance. If TSLA falls at the beginning of July because of something that happened in April/May/June, that is not focusing on future performance.

That’s quite the oversimplification.

Long term investors wouldn’t sell on a weak Q, but they’d be foolish to not delay adding to their positions, assuming they intended to in the future, if they saw downside risks in the near future.

Long term investors aren’t the only market participants. Shorter term investors/traders/hedge funds look to make money under all circumstances. If they were going to sell on anticipation of a weak Q, they’d be doing their job. Selling after a dip, not so smart.

Also, the risk of a bear raid with talking heads proclaiming they were right all along - Tesla has a demand problem - poses serious downside risk and could affect the SP more than disappointing deliveries themselves.

The line “stock prices are indicative of future performance and don’t react to past events” can be found in finance text books. As you said, that’s what’s supposed to happen. The market isn’t that rational. SPs move all the time on earnings reports and not just because of weak guidance. If everyone knew TSLA would be $800 in a year, there would have been very few sellers after Q1/2 last year. That obviously wasn’t the case.

They are testing the piles under load. But from my understanding the new permission is just for flat grounding, not piles yet.

On Tuesday, the State Environment Agency issued a preliminary building permit for foundation work for the future Tesla Gigafactory in Grünheide. It can be used to tackle the flat foundation, pipelines and supports as well as excavation pits from Tesla.
Google Translate

My guess is that they will find out if these piles work and than change their previous application (which didn´t include deep grounding) accordingly. The fact that they try them seems to suggest that they have a chance to use them even though this is water protection area IMHO. Likely they are limited by how deep they can hammer them so they don´t reach the groundwater.

You repeatedly get into arguments where you are both dead wrong and rude.... <snip>

The information is not from Reuters only. The application for using these batteries is available on the website of the Chinese Ministry. I am sorry, but this is not speculation. It is a fact. CATL boss also gave an interview in Chinese media (sorry. I have no link handy.) and he disclosed that they have an agreement to produce batteries using tech from both companies until the end June 2021.

Are you really, really sure you're dead right? Here's what the CEO of CATL said when pressed about the battery deal with Tesla during their End-of-Quarter Conference Call: (I do have the link handy)

CATL 2019 Earnings Call (May, 2020)

Q6: In July, will you supply Tesla with ternary batteries or LFP, or did you develop some new technology that you will supply to Tesla?

CATL CEO: We have been communicating with Tesla technical team for quite a while now. Supply should start in H2. We have the most advanced products in ternary and LFP aspect. Supply is not limited to either LFP or ternary. What will be supplied will depend on market demand.​

That's not a confirmation from CATL that they will supply LFP prismatic cells to GF3/Tesla. But I notice you've shyed away from actually saying 'their CEO said LFP' in your latest comment. Is that deliberate? Because the major premise of your argument is that LFP cells from CATL are a done deal, with 100% certainty.

A lot of these LFP rumors are reinforced with uncritical articles like this one from Tesmanian a few days ago:

Tesla Seeks China Gov Approval To Build Model 3 With Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries (LFP)

See what's missing? No link to the "Chinese Government document" the article claims to be describing. "But trust us, we're Media!". Zero questions answered. Then there's Gali-tube and some strategic minerals guy. Zero Cred.

Tesmanian did publish a more balanced article on Feb 21, 2020:

Tesla Battery Day May Introduce Next-Gen Cobalt Free Non-LFP Cell Hints China

"One person asked if Tesla China would be using CATL's zero cobalt LFP cells in Giga Shanghai, like the ones used by BYD.

"Tesla’s official account replied politely to the inquiry, thanking the person for the question, before dropping a surprising answer. 'Thanks for the question. All we can say right now, please stay tuned for the Battery Day in April, cobalt free, not only for LFP' Tesla China's social media handle wrote.

"Many have speculated and made theories about Tesla’s strategy for its China-made Model 3 SR+ based on the assumption that the EV automaker was planning to use CATL’s prismatic LFP cells. However these speculations might have been wrong, if Tesla China's recent social media response is accurate."
Here's a screenshot of the social media post: (prev. posted by Artful Dodger, Feb 23, 2020: #142138) Image Source: Tesmainan blog Feb 21, 2020 (as linked above)

Telsa China posted "Cobalt Free Battery, But NOT LFP" "Coming Soon, Battery Day in April" in a social media post back in Feb, also discussed on TMC.

Tesla-Battery-Day-Cobalt-Free-nonLFP_1000x.JPG

I suggest you re-evaluate your methods. I think you've reached a premature conclusion, which leaves you vulnerable to acting on a false assumption. Evidence is best direct from a 1st party and verifiable, otherwise the case is not made. Neither 1st party in this case, Tesla nor CATL, have provided such evidence. At the very least, you'll need to explain the above contradictory social media post.

In this case, there are too many unanswered questions with too much conflicting evidence for LFP to be a certainty (there's bty technicals I won't go into). The most honest answer right now is "we don't know".

Have a good day.

That's not a confirmation from CATL that they will supply LFP prismatic cells to GF3/Tesla. But I notice you've shyed away from actually saying 'their CEO said LFP' in your latest comment. Is that deliberate? Because the major premise of your argument is that LFP cells from CATL are a done deal, with 100% certainty.

A lot of these LFP rumors are reinforced with uncritical articles like this one from Tesmanian a few days ago:
LFP SR+ in China is a done deal. Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable posted this two weeks ago.

Reactions: JRP3 and gerebgraus
Reactions: UncaNed