Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We need a new space station. Clearly. This thing is so archaic. The process just for pressurizing and opening the doors is painful. I could die before this gets completed.

I did love the duct tape to the rescue moment.

Indeed. Back in the eighties, my physicist cousin John Andelin headed the science division of the now defunct congressional Office of Technology Assessment. He testified before Congress that the proposed ISS was feasible, but would be impractical and far more costly than estimates. Even then with computer robotics in an early stage, he said that machines were a far more efficient and effective way to explore space until the costs of humans in space are greatly reduced. John told me that by far the largest cost considerations with humans compared to robots is safety. He expected the duties of astronauts on the ISS to be essentially "make-work" projects. He told me that nevertheless congressmen and their industrial constituents wanted humans in space no matter what.

The Office of Technology Assessment was shut down by Congress in 1995. Congressmen claimed that was to reduce costs. Actually the costs for the OTA were minuscule. John told me that the true concern of the congressmen was that the OTA often disapproved of costly "pork barrel" projects that would bring federal money to their districts. As it turned out, the ISS is the most costly single item ever constructed.

Below is an example of what John told me space stations should be like: rotating wheels to simulate gravity. A space station should not have been built until one of this type becomes a reasonable proposition. But if it is not needed as a way station for manned trips to the Moon and planets, then it is pointless.

Last edited:
Indeed. Back in the eighties, my physicist cousin John Andelin headed the science division of the now defunct congressional Office of Technology Assessment. He testified before Congress that the proposed ISS was feasible, but would be impractical and far more costly than estimates. Even then with computer robotics in an early stage, he said that machines were a far more efficient and effective way to explore space until the costs of humans in space are greatly reduced. John told me that by far the largest cost considerations with humans compared to robots is safety. He expected the duties of astronauts on the ISS to be essentially "make work" projects. He told me that nevertheless congressmen and their industrial constituents wanted humans in space no matter what.

The Office of Technology Assessments was shut down by Congress in 1995. Congressmen claimed that was to reduce costs. Actually the costs for the OTA were minuscule. John told me that the true concern of the congressmen was that the OTA often disapproved of costly pork barrel projects that would bring federal money to their districts. As it turned out, the ISS is the most costly single item ever constructed.

Below is an example of what John told me a space station should be like: rotating wheels to simulate gravity. He thought a space station should not be built until one of this type becomes a reasonable proposition.

Did John think this through on his own or was he using the ideas of someone else?
Wernher von Braun - Wikipedia

"(May 28) Gigafactory 3 Facade construction starts before the rainy season" | Jason Yang

Are Tesla increasing the number of casting machines in addition to the giant casting machine built at the end of the Phase 1 building? There is new foundation work that appears to be very similar.
upload_2020-5-31_18-16-16.png

upload_2020-5-31_18-17-33.png

Here you can see both foundations on each side of one of the ancillary buildings in the corner of the plot. Additionally, the triangle piece of this building has also had far more heaving form work used in the construction.
upload_2020-5-31_18-20-48.png

Perhaps Tesla liked the results of the casting so much they are going to use it to replace more components of their vehicles - and this building could be a standalone foundry.

separately, one of the other outbuildings appears to be building heavy foundations for unknown reasons. There appears to be a lot more going on here than just a duplication of Phase 1 which only really had heavy foundations for the press.
upload_2020-5-31_18-34-47.png

It also looks like it would be a tight fit to use the same loading dock system as they used in phase 1. Are they using the ramp to resupply the factory and elevators to get the parts to the line?
upload_2020-5-31_18-41-29.png

upload_2020-5-31_18-45-36.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-31_18-17-9.png
    upload_2020-5-31_18-17-9.png
    2 MB · Views: 29
Below is an example of what John told me space stations should be like: rotating wheels to simulate gravity. He thought a space station should not be built until one of this type becomes a reasonable proposition.

Rotating wheels have been known to be the correct design since space stations were first conceived.

Perhaps Tesla liked the results of the casting so much they are going to use it to replace more components of their vehicles - and this building could be a standalone foundry.
Elon did say they plan a Model Y front aluminum subframe during his interview that also featured Sandy Munro (although not in answer to a question from Munro). I expect that Shanghai and Berlin will be more advanced than Fremont, simply because they are newer.

Cheers!

Of course this has nothing to do with demand for Model Y, but I question if the 4-8 weeks estimate on the Tesla website is accurate. I was told by a Tesla Advisor in the Stanford Mall store on Friday that if I order one today it will be September delivery. She actually recommended I go for a new Model X instead, since the price just lowered by $5000.

I have scheduled a test ride today and will ask again.

We had our test ride and I asked again about delivery time. It was not entirely clear answer, the advisor said that there are a number of unassigned Model Y’s in inventory that if it matches what I want I good take delivery in June, but after those are gone, the next batches will be manufactured and prioritized based on the order book. Which means if there is not a match for me today it will likely be September delivery.

No body worries about the riots to drag the market down in the coming days?

:confused: Ummm, nobody worries about the riots to supercharge the market up in the coming days? :confused: You might miss out! ;)

The market will not be dragged down by the riots for any length of time because the riots are not the kind of thing that can self-sustain and grow over time. The cop was arrested for murder. Sure, if the cop gets acquitted the riots will be bigger than ever but I would bet money the cop is going to be convicted.

The riots are more likely to supercharge the markets than drag them down. In any case, I don't buy/sell based on things so far removed from my investment thesis. This has served me very well.

Last edited:
I hope this story is all TSLA and Tesla related lol

View attachment 546254[/QUOTE
Ask your parents.
The riots won't hurt the markets.

Everybody is getting what they want. The rioters get to riot, the media gets their story and investors get Trump re-elected.

I'm thinking Monday will be a good day for TSLA shares. Baron, two new gigafactory suitors, SpaceX and Elon being elevated to national hero status.