Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a different perspective. My work for the past decade, has been in the Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, Bel Air, and Beverly Hills — inspecting the utility electrical interconnections of many of the folks within the film industry. I have held a front row seat to their investments in solar power and electric vehicles. I watched as they have advocated and acted to advance renewable technologies. My wife complains that our Tesla is merely common in West Los Angeles, and she is right. In a very real sense these folks have put their money where their mouth is. They are true believers, drivers of the movement.

I see the film industry as an incredible, untapped resource. Yes, I believe we can and should capture the wind, today.

My question then is - why aren't these guys placing more Tesla's in movies without any paid product placement?

I was a mechanical engineering student at the University of Illinois in 2001, which around that time was tied with MIT and right behind Stanford in engineering rankings (I think they've since dropped). At the time, my roommate (one of the smartest engineering undergraduates I knew) began research in fuel cell technology, and then served as a research associate in fuel cells for a company trying to bring automotive fuel cell technology forward. He later told me he didn't really see fuel cell technology going anywhere.

Of course, after that he happened to also work at Navigant Consulting, which I think ranked Tesla's autonomous driving technology near the bottom of the barrel, so maybe I shouldn't take his word for it :). (Kidding--he actually had nothing to do with that study).

My beef with hydrogen is on efficiency.
Electricity - (electrolysis)-> Hydrogen - (motor) -> wheel = 35% efficiency
Tesla can get like 80%, correct me if I'm wrong
The running is cost, then, at least twice as high
How do you justify that?

They justify that by saying that they will use the electricity at night when there is an excess and the grid has to give it, or throw it, away.

But we really shouldn't be talking about this in this thread...

Thought I'd pass by an mention that I bought 5 more $TSLA at $925, paid for some nice person that bought a couple of 19/6 $975 calls...

However, seems I took a wrong turning and stumbled across the :confused::confused::confused:

Nikola, NKLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

C'mon Lyc, I really Lyc you, but even you know that NKLA views itself as a direct competitor to Tesla (and even successfully sued them) so it certainly is a valid thing to talk about when it comes to TSLA stock...

Reactions: callmesam
Partying like it's 1999
1f609.png

$NKLA is worth $25B... Let that sink in... A company that's never produced a single vehicle, or earned a single dollar in rev... Worth $25B... For context: $TSLA was worth $25B when the stock was at $130 (give or take)... This was almost 1 year after I bought my car, nearly 3 years after their IPO... When they had successfully launched the Roadster, the Model S, had expanded their supercharging network to major US corridors, announced the Model X, publicly announced their plans for Model 3, and a pickup truck. AND hinted at world domination of batteries and collaboration with SCTY!

I think that was because Elon = fraud, or some such silly equation.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I have a different perspective. My work for the past decade, has been in the Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, Bel Air, and Beverly Hills — inspecting the utility electrical interconnections of many of the folks within the film industry. I have held a front row seat to their investments in solar power and electric vehicles. I watched as they have advocated and acted to advance renewable technologies. My wife complains that our Tesla is merely common in West Los Angeles, and she is right. In a very real sense these folks have put their money where their mouth is. They are true believers, drivers of the movement.

I see the film industry as an incredible, untapped resource. Yes, I believe we can and should capture the wind, today.
Yeah, that's what we call "walking the walk". Shiny example for all to follow, c.f. "time and tide wait for no man"

It's time for Tesla to go to Texas. That's your Ad! :D

Teslax.jpg

Cheers!

Not sure if anyone replied to this... But generally options are not listed for several weeks after a stock IPOs. What you are seeing is a lack of supply and demand from both buyers and short-sellers... I don't have access to short-borrow costs here, but if someone does, please share what's the cost to borrow a share of $NKLA. I suspect it's quite high..

If the conditions are right, $NKLA may run to $100, or $120 in the coming days. People who think the company is overvalued have no way to position their bets other than borrow the stock. As the cost of borrows gets high, and demand pours in, those people get squeezed... Look at $BYND shortly after IPO.

Once more liquidity is added to the market, and/or options become available, $NKLA will come back down to earth.. While it's a gamble, I'm willing to throw money that way at about $20-$25... It's a complete spec even then, but it's worth the risk/reward. Till then steer clear... You will get burned if you try to short it.

EDIT: I'm an idiot... apparently $NKLA options are listed... Hur hur... Still IV is stupidly expensive
ETrade refused my "sell short" order, unable to borrow the shares.