Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except he is not long Tesla. If he was long Tesla he wouldn't "freak out" and thought about it all night. Who still lose sleep over this BS with his wealth? That's what I was saying and not to take what I said too literal about island buying.
What makes you think he is wealthy? Any evidence beyond clowning around on Tesla investment boards yelling BUY!! and BUY MORE!! and revealing what the tea leaves say? There's no there there, is there? Not even any information or analysis. Lots of enthusiasm though.

We're in a very tenuous economic situation in the US. Good thing banks can now get deeper into swaps and add twice as much risk. That should do the trick.

What could possibly go wrong?

More evidence of the simulation game.

What are the odds that the US economy is going to explode [in a bad way] at the same time Tesla is going to explode [in a good way]? Sure makes trading this thing a little more difficult.

Reactions: UncaNed and Drax7
Yes, OT, but 'obsequious' ??? If you are going to have OT posts, at least make them factual.
OT and obsequious.

Let's agree to drop this topic. I'm done.

Cheers!
There is no conflict in my two statements (though I should have said gas densification, not compression for clarity). It is impossible to liquefy air by pressure alone. The system cools the air to a liquid, stores it (no additional pressure needed), then uses ambient heat to convert the liquid to a high pressure gas to generate power. So the generation side is similar to a steam turbine.

Cryogenic energy storage - Wikipedia
The liquid air, which takes up one-thousandth of the volume of the gas, can be kept for a long time in a large vacuum flask at atmospheric pressure.

I'm done also.

More evidence of the simulation game.

What are the odds that the US economy is going to explode [in a bad way] at the same time Tesla is going to explode [in a good way]? Sure makes trading this thing a little more difficult.

lol actually that has been my thought exactly but just looking at this all in the light of how can I maximize shares owned through the turbulence

lol actually that has been my thought exactly but just looking at this all in the light of how can I maximize shares owned through the turbulence

Same. I started in early 2019. I’m up a ton but want to maximize my holdings during this storm and then hold for a decade.

Some of the early buyers with seemingly infinite money don’t understand this concept. I’m trying to turn $50k into maximum shares. So far I’m doing pretty, pretty, pretty good. lol

Macros have gone Green for the day, and so has TSLA.

NASDAQ-100.chart.2020-06-25.10-45.png

Cheers!

I do not understand the crap he is talking about, But here again, I can read a person, and I understand his logic. I think he found something, and gave the most likely reason it changed.
Maybe already answered, but he’s saying code was changed to allow battery packs over 100KWh, which is current Model S and X maximum. This will allow new Plaid S with a pack of anything up to 200KWh. More likely between 120-150, but we will apparently now on battery day, stockholder meeting.
It reminds me a bit of Y2K, when code had to be updated to support years as 1999 and not abbreviated 99.

Guess what happened in all those 35 years before Tesla appeared? All brands being studied were advertisers. Now one of them ain't.
Now I'm not saying that's conclusive, but just because something has gone on for a long time doesn't mean it's 100% legit.

While I don't trust JD Power any more than you do, I'm not sure the bulk of the blame lies with JD Powers. I mean, they did exclude Tesla from the survey results. The problem appears to be a journalist who seemed intent on contacting JD Power and trying to make the data indicate things that JD Power knew were not statistically significant conclusions. The first clue is that Lora Kolodny "contributed" to the article!

The article was designed to make Tesla look bad even though JD Power valued what little reputation they have remaining enough to know the Tesla data couldn't be directly compared to the other brands with good conscious. So, they left the dirty work to an eager "journalist"! There's a reason why they didn't pretend the missing data did not invalidate the results as one person here is trying to make the case for.

Sam Teller, Musk's former Chief of Staff, gave a good interview about his experiences while at Tesla/SpaceX/Boring/Neuralink. No new profound details, but reinforces what we already know. The key to Musk's success is being able to tolerate pain and to execute at a high level when up against existential threats to your company. We already know the challenge of ramping Model 3, but Teller also puts the introduction of Model X in the category of existential threats.

One very interesting statement at 12:50 is that Musk very rarely thinks about markets, he is all about mission and vision. I think we already knew this, but as an investor, this is important to keep in mind.

Last edited:
I can't believe that "some old model S screens are funky" is getting more press than "Tesla is building out lines to make their own batteries".

I think you forgot the "sarcasm" marker. This disparity between perception and reality is what has caused me to more than 4X my TSLA investments in a little over a year (in the midst of a global pandemic, no less).

• Love
Reactions: mekberg
No, phase-change materials are NOT viable alternatives to chemical energy storage. As an example, look at the heat released as water goes from a gas to a liquid. If you could capture and use all of that energy (which you can't), there's still only about 92 Wh/kg available there, and that's with ignoring the mass of any machinery.

Telsa's chemical storage bty's are about TRIPLE that theorical value, and that's a real-world product with demonstrated 80%+ round-trip energy efficiency. If there was a better 1st-principles solution in the world of chemistry or physics, you can be confident that Tesla would already be doing it.

Pumped hydro storage is a better alternative for large storage projects than phase change materials, but even they are still no where near as efficient as Tesla Powerpacks for grid/home applications.

But it is also dirt cheap... Is that article correct it is $150 / megaWh? aka. $0.15 / kWh? Really? If true obviously that is so dirt cheap that there must be some cases where it is competitive. In some regions that end up with a lot of solar with a ton of surplus, efficiency may not matter as much.

How inefficient is it?

I think you forgot the "sarcasm" marker. This disparity between perception and reality is what has caused me to more than 4X my TSLA investments in a little over a year (in the midst of a global pandemic, no less).
All in all I'm very appreciative of the efforts by the shorts over the past few years. If Tesla had not been suppressed I'd have far fewer shares.