Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're right. I really messed up the math there somehow. Thanks for correcting. Can't believe nobody else spotted that yet.

And yes, some of those numbers are on the conservative side. So 1.7 or 1.8 seems likely.

You're right that it becomes harder to sustain growth as Tesla grows bigger and bigger, but I wouldn't rule it out completely that Elon can continue to pull off 50%+ YoY growth through higher volume models and bigger Terafactories. Time will tell.

When you factor in Tesla Energy, the 50% growth can be sustainable in Year 3, 4, and 5(from today's date). While Tesla Auto's growth slows in Year 3, 4, and 5 because of it's size, Tesla Energy could easily be in 100+% yearly growth in Year 3, 4, and 5.

We just need to see some signs of the exponential growth for Wall st to take notice. Hopefully lifting the limitations on batteries(along with scaling Solar Roof) reveals TE's truth growth potential over the next year

Well, that’s quite a scenario.

It drives one to imagine that the last opportunity to buy "cheap" TSLA shares may be rapidly approaching.
When the SP is headed to $10K, you'll look back fondly, wispfully at those cheap-like-borscht $5K Shares... ;)

no-borscht-for-you.jpg

Cheers!

When does too much of a good thing, such as money, become toxic?

I'd say when it makes you live in fear instead of giving you freedom from fear.

I don't need charts to tell me TSLA is "headed much much higher." That trend is crystal clear from the facts about Tesla, as shared in detail by many generous folks here. The market never "goes against" me, because I'm not selling for years.

So the choice for each us, as pointed out by the generous folks, is buy-and-hold and relax... or trade and live in fear. How much money do you need to be happy? Millions? Billions? Will billions make you happier if you "sometimes" suffer panics?

How much is enough?

Sincerely,
the white noise
Not everyone is chasing happiness

Happiness is a cliché perpetrated by popular media on those who are not able to make it
OK I’ll go a step further and tell you what motivates me/drives me

Self efficacy

My biggest nightmare is not that I will die unhappy but that I would have wasted my life without achieving my full potential

Fear and anxiety are good without fear and anxiety you are basically like driving a car without brakes

I don’t think anybody has accomplished anything without encountering failure fear and anxiety
I think that is enough philosophy for 2020 now back to making money which is about the most exciting thing even better than —-

Last edited:
Does it tell you something about the difference between Tesla Bulls and Tesla Bears when the most traded call as measured by open interest for July 2nd has a strike price of 1100, and the most traded put has a strike price of... 200?
Yes. I tells me that most Tesla Bulls are $700 below where they should be. :p

Cheers!

I don't think this has been discussed, but its worth discussing:

By my 'back-of-the-envelope' calculations, the gross margin for Model Y could exceed 30% (let's use 30%).

With an ASP of $60K and deliveries of ~18K in Q2, that's a gross profit for Model Y of ~$324M

Indeed, let's check that twice:
  • ASP for Q2 mix of LR, w. AWD/P +50% FSD 'take-rate'
  • Let's go with 18K 'Y' deliveries (prod. est. via @Troy)
  • Est'd gross margin includes a 'Y' premium of $5k + FSD
That yields an est. of three hundred, twenty-four million US dollars just from Model Y. :eek:

Paging @FrankSG :rolleyes:

I very much doubt MY will have 30% gross margins this quarter.

First of all, I don't think MY volume will be 18k. Isn't actual production usually closer to 50% of VINs? And you have to subtract a few thousand VINs that were already delivered in Q1.

MiC M3 did similar volume of ~15k in Q1, but still didn't have Fremont M3 margins as per ER comments, so likely was around 15% GM. MY can leverage already available infrastructure at Fremont, but it's still quite far from the volume for which the production system was designed, so I'd expect that the GM won't reach full potential until Q3 or Q4.

$60k sounds like a reasonable ASP, because there are no SR+ sales yet. Maybe it's more like $58-59k, but pretty close. My math for this is as follows:
  • I believe usual FSD take-rate is ~20%? If the average for all of Q2 was indeed ~50%, that's an added 30% taking FSD, which at a price of $7k = ~$2k in extra ASP.
  • M3 ASP was ~$50k with SR+ sales, but the MY is $3k more expensive than what the M3 used to cost, so ASP of MY with SR+ sales would be ~$53k.
  • Now all that's left is to determine how much SR+ sales drag down the ASP. I'd guess this is ~$4k (about a third of M3 are SR+ according to eu-evs.com), so the ASP of MY excluding SR+ should be about $57k.
So with the extra boost from FSD take-rate, perhaps overall MY ASP is about $59k.

I think the margins of M3 were ~20% (pre price cut), so the COGS of the M3 were ~$40k including SR+. It's been said that the MY might cost about the same to produce as the M3, but I'd err on the side of caution, especially this early in a ramp, so I'd add at least $3-4k to that number. Then to account for higher cost because no SR+ are sold, I'd add another $1-2k to that, so I'd guess MY COGS to be around $45k this quarter.

$14k profit divided by $59k ASP, gives a gross margin for MY of 23.7%, far lower than 30%. And that is for a large part due to the FSD take-rate increase. WIthout that, it'd be $12k profit divided by $57k ASP, for a gross margin of 21.1%. Which honestly would be very good so early in a ramp.

I'd guess MY deliveries will be closer to 12k, so that'd be $14k * 12k = $168M in gross profit from the MY.

I truly hope you didn't take it personally. Your contributions to this community are important. I particularly want to single out your fantastic forecasting tool for the expected 'progress' of future TSLA share price. I think of it exactly in the way in which you lay it out, in a convenient easy-to-digest chart form. Kudos, and thank-you! Brava!

Regarding rumors of the Model S refresh a year ago, try thinking of it using this analogy*:
  • Your 18-yr old daughter wants your advice. She has a new boyfriend, and:
    • they are deeply, madly in love with each other
    • they can't wait to get married and have a baby
  • She's wondering which she should announce to the family first:
    • the Wedding Date, or
    • the Baby Shower?
  • Now before submitting your answer, remember: you are the FATHER, not the GROOM!
Sometimes, a year plus or minus can make a big difference... ;)

Cheers!

*DISCLAIMER: Dear Reader, If this analogy upsets you, please consider it in jest (not to be taken too seriously) ;)
A job and an apartment first

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
My biggest nightmare is not that I will die unhappy but that I would have wasted my life without achieving my full potential
Perhaps it isn't obvious to you, but trading stock and options is utterly unproductive. You may get rich, you may get poor, but regardless of the end result you will accomplish nothing and produce nothing. That you think this activity has anything to do with achieving your full potential is sad. This is at best a game, and if it's all you do then you will have certainly wasted your life.

Perhaps it isn't obvious to you, but trading stock and options is utterly unproductive. You may get rich, you may get poor, but regardless of the end result you will accomplish nothing and produce nothing. That you think this activity has anything to do with achieving your full potential is sad. This is at best a game, and if it's all you do then you will have certainly wasted your life.
My guess that that @TrendTrader007 not only knows this, but as a physician, has a master plan for his unrealized wealth that he has not shared with this community (please share!). May your most optimistic predictions for TSLA and for life come true!

Elsewhere, can anyone tell me the likelihood we see the P&D numbers before market open Thursday? I believe qt 1 was AH Thursday, April 2, but this go-around markets are closed Friday for 4th of July weekend.

Not everyone is chasing happiness

Happiness is a cliché perpetrated by popular media on those who are not able to make it
OK I’ll go a step further and tell you what motivates me/drives me

Self efficacy

Fear and anxiety are good without fear and anxiety you are basically like driving a car without brakes

I don’t think anybody has accomplished anything without encountering failure fear and anxiety
I think that is enough philosophy for 2020 now back to making money which is about the most exciting thing even better than —-

I'll go a step further. Chasing money for its own sake is a wasted life... according to me and every spiritual tradition on Earth.

Some folks, such as Elon, make money as a means to greater ends, such as reducing or preventing the suffering of living things.

But some folks measure their self-worth and "achievement" by their toys and numbers on a screen, and consider themselves superior to humans who "have never traded with any real capital." Sadly, these folks have never tasted the thrill and satisfaction of making the world a better place. They are fixated on shiny symbols of being loved, instead of the real thing. I and the spiritual traditions consider that a sickness, but of course these folks don't agree.

EDIT: @Bet TSLA beat me to it, more concisely.

Last edited:

Quite some categories of things are certainly more probable to achieve with a lot of money than without. Let's not assume that making a lot of money is the endgoal.

When you factor in Tesla Energy, the 50% growth can be sustainable in Year 3, 4, and 5(from today's date). While Tesla Auto's growth slows in Year 3, 4, and 5 because of it's size, Tesla Energy could easily be in 100+% yearly growth in Year 3, 4, and 5.

We just need to see some signs of the exponential growth for Wall st to take notice. Hopefully lifting the limitations on batteries(along with scaling Solar Roof) reveals TE's truth growth potential over the next year

Don't worry that's when Tesla Cargo Ship and Tesla VTOL and Tesla HVAC keep the growth sustained.