Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it tell you something about the difference between Tesla Bulls and Tesla Bears when the most traded call as measured by open interest for July 2nd has a strike price of 1100, and the most traded put has a strike price of... 200?

Obviously, this is a clear picture of human intelligence distribution within the human race.

Is this finally capitulation from Dana?

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Hyperdrive
Ten Years After IPO, a Look Back at Tesla’s Extraordinary Decade
By
Dana Hull
June 29, 2020, 7:00 AM EDT

“A decade later, Tesla’s stock is trading at $959.74 a share, the company has grown to about 48,000 employees and its influence on the global auto industry is unprecedented. Despite plenty of doubters and some near-death experiences, Tesla’s $178 billion market valuation is second only to Toyota Motor Corp. among all carmakers.

Tesla no longer makes the Roadster, but it sells four other models in markets around the world. Besides design, one of the company’s biggest advantage lies with its batteries: A version of the flagship Model S now boasts a range of more than 400 miles. No other electric car comes close.“

In contrast to the delusional bear on CNBC, here's someone who gets it : Analysis: Tesla is not valued as a tech company or auto company — Business Insider

Numerous bulls argue that Tesla is, in fact, an innovative tech firm - a new Apple - that merits a Silicon Valley valuation. Bears counter that Tesla is, at base, a car company and should, someday, be valued accordingly.

I used to be in the latter camp, but the past year and a half has changed my mind. I don't, however, think that Tesla is a tech company. Instead, Tesla is a throwback - but a throwback squarely aimed at the future. For various reasons, we can't figure Tesla out because what it's doing is reminiscent of the nascent businesses of the early 20th century.

Tesla isn't mining tech or automotive - it's creating a new industry. The markets have figured this out and are pricing the company's stock accordingly.

When you add it all up, Tesla is more than the sum of its parts. It's a means to an end, and that end is as visionary as what happened 120 years ago with the first automobiles and airplanes.

Yeah, that's @FC...

Edit: And I have several times asked FC and Karen to come back here, but no luck as of yet :(

Months ago I’ve asked him that too, but to no avail (and Karen as well). I suppose Factchecking is happy where he is now: on Twitter, slowly but steadily building up a gathering of followers (close to 800 now).

Is this finally capitulation from Dana?

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Hyperdrive
Ten Years After IPO, a Look Back at Tesla’s Extraordinary Decade
By
Dana Hull
June 29, 2020, 7:00 AM EDT

“A decade later, Tesla’s stock is trading at $959.74 a share, the company has grown to about 48,000 employees and its influence on the global auto industry is unprecedented. Despite plenty of doubters and some near-death experiences, Tesla’s $178 billion market valuation is second only to Toyota Motor Corp. among all carmakers.

Tesla no longer makes the Roadster, but it sells four other models in markets around the world. Besides design, one of the company’s biggest advantage lies with its batteries: A version of the flagship Model S now boasts a range of more than 400 miles. No other electric car comes close.“

Nah, same old Dana ....

Model 3:

"When Tesla unveiled the Model 3 sedan in March 2016, customers lined up in a way the world had grown accustomed to seeing consumers queue up for iPhones. The promise of a $35,000 mass-market car barely materialized -- the average transaction price is closer to $50,000 [cough Model SR+ at $37,990 anyone?] - but the Model 3 managed to rival mainstream sedans on sales charts."​

Autopilot:

6) Autopilot Scrutiny
On May 7, 2016, a devoted Tesla customer and former Navy SEAL, Joshua Brown, died when his Tesla Model S collided with a tractor-trailer in Florida. Tesla’s driver-assistance system Autopilot was engaged at the time, and the death was the first known fatality involving the technology. U.S. regulators investigated but found no defect. Autopilot continues to come under scrutiny, and several other fatalities in the U.S. have been linked to the system.:rolleyes:
And on and on. The few positives mentioned from recent years are barely touched on (for example, completed Shanghai GF in 1 year, ho hum).

Nah, same old Dana ....

Model 3:

"When Tesla unveiled the Model 3 sedan in March 2016, customers lined up in a way the world had grown accustomed to seeing consumers queue up for iPhones. The promise of a $35,000 mass-market car barely materialized -- the average transaction price is closer to $50,000 [cough Model SR+ at $37,990 anyone?] - but the Model 3 managed to rival mainstream sedans on sales charts."

Wait, she’s complaining customers are happy to pay much more than the 35k version of the car!?!?! Lol .. this is just validating Tesla pricing strategy!!

Nah, same old Dana ....

Model 3:

"When Tesla unveiled the Model 3 sedan in March 2016, customers lined up in a way the world had grown accustomed to seeing consumers queue up for iPhones. The promise of a $35,000 mass-market car barely materialized -- the average transaction price is closer to $50,000 [cough Model SR+ at $37,990 anyone?] - but the Model 3 managed to rival mainstream sedans on sales charts."
This stuff is infuriating. So it is now BAD that Tesla has a higher ASP then the $35.9k lowest price model? As a shareholder I love the fact that the ASP is so much higher then the base price.

I now enjoy it when people call Tesla a cult. As far as cults go, I'd say we're pretty successful and equitable. Both the leader and the followers make crap ton of money and have lots of fun.
b62ca9b2992f86dfcd5b25389af0a3e2.jpg

Not everyone is chasing happiness

Happiness is a cliché perpetrated by popular media on those who are not able to make it
OK I’ll go a step further and tell you what motivates me/drives me

Self efficacy

My biggest nightmare is not that I will die unhappy but that I would have wasted my life without achieving my full potential

Fear and anxiety are good without fear and anxiety you are basically like driving a car without brakes

I don’t think anybody has accomplished anything without encountering failure fear and anxiety
I think that is enough philosophy for 2020 now back to making money which is about the most exciting thing even better than —-

That you think happiness is a cliche perpetuated by modern media is a clear disconnect from the real world. Modern media predominantly reports tragedy, criminal behavior, injustices, and a whole heap of distortion and outright lies. Modern media more accurately perpetuates that fear and anxiety you think is so good to have. Like, omg I’ve got to sell all my TSLA stock because the end of the world is coming with a second wave of COVID, or because another Great Depression is coming etc...

And though you didn’t say it, you also think being hyper focused on gambling to make/have gobs of money fulfills a person’s potential otherwise you’d be spending that time and energy on doing something else and you’d dedicate money to the basement dwelling it deserves, like Elon does.

I love Tesla and am about as invested in TSLA as anyone, but let's all stay grounded in reality, and do our bests to be unbiased.

You are absolutely correct that profitable investing requires accurate expectations. I knew and understood this at a deep level of understanding and conviction when I started laying real money on the line over 30 years ago and nothing has changed in that time.

However, the opposite sin is just as bad and, in some fundamental ways, worse for overall returns for the typical long-term investor. Especially with a company like Tesla, run by a man like Elon Musk, who both have a long history of out-performing expectations and what people even thought was possible.

No one is right 100% of the time but tempering expectations does not automatically increase your accuracy. The key is not to temper expectations but to expect more of the same unless there is good reason not to.