Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't been doing What I was expected to since 18. So I've enjoyed starting a company, so to speak, and bringing it to profitability. The enjoyment is seeing the idea work and profitable. Profitability is half of the importance for me.

Then you get tsla which just completely annihilate these numbers. Making the profitability now seems like a moot point.

I guess in this circumstances ppl go for bigger ideas like Elon did. But I think the next stage is beyond my circle of competence when I look up and see the type of ppl in it. I guess, I reached my own "more money than brains" level.

I think my own conclusion, in those circumstances, would be very similar. In fact, I don't think I could be bothered to "even" (massive sarcasm quotes) go to the step of starting and running my own company. Well, who knows. Maybe inspiration will hit someday. I could certainly see being in a place where I would be expected to, given life circumstances and opportunities. But if the natural drive isn't there, and the idea itself doesn't seem like it would lead to a happier existence, why bother? :)

Peter's Principle, if we want to use that analogy, is only a problem if one is forced to work at whatever level's above what one excels at. That always happens when promoted in business or in the military, but is completely optional if the work is self-directed.

But I don't really think Peter's Principle is an accurate model, it's more an example of the "everything goes to [ouch, censored]" syndrome. Why do your favorite bands always start sucking after a few years? It's because they have changed, and any change is likely to move them away from what attracted you to them in the first place. Ditto for promotions, or moving into a different realm of career/business/entrepeneurship. Stuff like this should come from the heart, from an inner drive. Following the inner drive is the healthy choice, and probably the one that leads to the best outcome.

That was a big off-topic digression, but I like going philosophical on days like these :p

My question is when will we go sideways for a while or even retrench in 2020?

1500? 2000? 2500? 3500?

Or is everyone just gritting teeth and hanging on for dear life until 10,000?

Not gritting teeth waiting for 10,000 here. More like:

giphy.gif

Negative differences between Q1 and Q2:
- Substantial price reductions, so lower margin (this could be a biggy)
Don't agree with this. Tesla signed a new Bty Supply and Pricing agreement with Panasonic Japan and N.A. which took effect at the beginning of Q2.

It's Telsa's practice to pass along savings thru retail price reductions when they achieve production cost reductions. It's key to their business model, and supports the Mission.

The $2K decease in Model 3 selling was very likely paid for in bty costs alone. Similarly, Panasonic Japan supplies bty cells for S/X so those costs also likely when down.

Cheers!

Was that 10AM dip a big sell off?

If you FOMO'd at $1000 last week you would be up 20% in a week. That's still nuts.
I FOMO'd on Monday at $950.
I FOMO'd again yesterday at $1130 (yeah, I can sure pick'em!).
I FOMO'd again -- although it's not really FOMO, I know what I'm doing, seriously! -- a few minutes ago at $1198. And I'm feeling pretty good about myself right now.

I think my own conclusion, in those circumstances, would be very similar. In fact, I don't think I could be bothered to "even" (massive sarcasm quotes) go to the step of starting and running my own company. Well, who knows. Maybe inspiration will hit someday. I could certainly see being in a place where I would be expected to, given life circumstances and opportunities. But if the natural drive isn't there, and the idea itself doesn't seem like it would lead to a happier existence, why bother? :)

Peter's Principle, if we want to use that analogy, is only a problem if one is forced to work at whatever level's above what one excels at. That always happens when promoted in business or in the military, but is completely optional if the work is self-directed.

But I don't really think Peter's Principle is an accurate model, it's more an example of the "everything goes to [ouch, censored]" syndrome. Why do your favorite bands always start sucking after a few years? It's because they have changed, and any change is likely to move them away from what attracted you to them in the first place. Ditto for promotions, or moving into a different realm of career/business/entrepeneurship. Stuff like this should come from the heart, from an inner drive. Following the inner drive is the healthy choice, and probably the one that leads to the best outcome.

That was a big off-topic digression, but I like going philosophical on days like these :p

Ppl in TSLA will have to deal with the philosophical side eventually.

A lot of ppl are going through the reckoning that comes with making enough money from tsla than their job right now. Some probably made decades worth.

But at least, many ppl here can give advice on that.

Don't agree with this. Tesla signed a new Bty Supply and Pricing agreement with Panasonic Japan and N.A. which took effect at the beginning of Q2.

It's Telsa's practice to pass along savings thru retail price reductions when they achieve production cost reductions. It's key to their business model, and supports the Mission.

The $2K decease in Model 3 selling was very likely paid for in bty costs alone. Similarly, Panasonic Japan supplies bty cells for S/X so those costs also likely when down.

Cheers!

Note that the 8-10k sold from inventory during the quarter will have decreased margins due to being manufactured in Q1, when these cost reductions were not yet recognized, but still sold at a $5k discount. But other than that, totally agree!

• Informative
Reactions: mannix

A lot of ppl are going through the reckoning that comes with making enough money from tsla than their job right now. Some probably made decades worth.

I read this link here from another thread: http://www.retailinvestor.org/pdf/Bengen1.pdf

Also, there's a lot of other forums around that concept, such as FIRE, too.

...just talk to your financial advisor about the best practice. It's their job (among other things).

Last edited by a moderator:

How about more than the total for all the years I have ever worked ?
I'm in my 60's.

I sold some TSLA yesterday at $1122, thinking I should take some profits in case there is a sell-the-news result. DOH!

At least the shares I didn't sell are up.

I made the same mistake last year before a good quarterend- sold half, kept half. Buying back was painful. Lesson learned: the biggest enemy of a Long is yourself. Ignore the daily SP drama and stop logging in to your trading account.

Let's also take a moment to recognize that there are an additional 95,200 more Electric vehicles on the roads.
That's 95,200 more vehicle's that aren't polluting you, or your family, or your neighborhood, or your city.

Thank you Tesla.

Transitioning to sustainable energy is the reason I got into investing in Tesla.

And we should note that for all the greenwashing from legacy auto, if not for Tesla, we would still have a very meager amount of EVs on the road.