Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone is interested in learning more about lithium mining and battery production in general I'd recommend watching this video, likely the best Gali's video I've seen so far (sorry if it was already mentioned 100 times, can't keep up with this forum):

My thoughts are that Tesla is unlikely to go deep into mining itself and most likely will focus more on securing supplies and battery recycling instead.
Recycling, while may not sound as sexy as mining, may be a key to sustainable future and once it is mastered and enough lithium is mined, mining will be almost obsolete. Also lithium itself may be partly or completely out of equation in the future.

Still there is a clear shortage of lithium mining for the nearest future so who knows.

On another topic:
I think Tesla should rename Autopilot to Superpilot for Europe and avoid all the future problems. I just can't see any downsides to it:
* Hard to prove it's misleading in any way
* Superpilot does not sound in any way inferior to Autopilot (maybe even superior?? )
* It would be easy enough to guess what it is for people familiar with Autopilot and other -pilots
* Tesla already have some Super- things (Superchargers) so it fits well with their naming style

I personally think that Autopilot is great and well fitting name for what it is but it is a waste of time and money for Tesla to keep proving that for everyone so switching the name and stop bothering could be an easy solution.

Our dear friend Claudia Assis has another well written article for your enjoyment/S

Tesla’s earnings on tap next week: Will a loss end its blowout stock rally?

Notice she forgot to put "we hope" at the end:D
@Unpilot, not sure why you added the "/s" in your comment. The Claudia Assis article is factual, well written and quite positive for Tesla, although the title could have been better selected. I find Claudia's articles to be fair in general with no hidden agenda. I'm beginning to believe that the media publishers select the title of articles for click-bait, not from the author of the article. The number of times I have seen the same article, same author, with a different title (to suit their hidden agenda) is now quite frequent.

Share price <$1,500 USD seems to carry good support and appears to be good buying opportunity. Looking forward to next weeks Q2 results and upcoming Battery Day.

• Helpful
Reactions: kcveins and wtlloyd
I thought of a question for the folks more knowledgeable about investing. Some have mentioned Tesla having a secondary to the FUNDS if include TSLA gets include in an index. Seems to me that would be a pretty large amount of shares. My question is can those funds then turn around and loan those shares out?

I would think they can. If that is the case I have no interest in Tesla making a secondary offering to any fund for any reason. To add 20 billion to the shares shorted would simply drive the price down significantly at some point with more manipulation power.
Iv'e got a question about this. How 'like' a post? I'm quite new to the forums and on mobile. But I can't figure out how to use these buttons you're talking about at all, because I don't see them :(
You might not be signed in.

Fwiw, in Italy I think millennials and younger people stopped watching movies on TV. The occasional show, yes, but watching a movie on TV, with ads, feels weird. TV feels weird in general to me.
Not just the younger generations. Also I hated how the movies were cut to make them fit in a time slot. Pretty much ruined them.

Reactions: wtlloyd
I just did a large write up on TSLA's S&P 500 inclusion for anyone interested. Reading this forum during the past few weeks I found that there were still a surprisingly large number of misunderstandings when it comes to the S&P 500 inclusion, so I hope this might help clear some of that up:

Tesla's S&P 500 Inclusion: Predicting TSLA's post-inclusion stock price

TSLA opened with the Upper-BB at $1,704.27 and the Mid-BB was at $1,248.13 :D

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2020-07-17.09-30.png

There's strong support at the Mid-BB and lots of headroom for a 10% climb in SP w/o banging da head on the Upper-BB w. positive news in the Earnings Letter and Conference Call on Wed.

IMHO, things are setting up nicely for a run up to S&P500 inclusion.

Cheers!

Our dear friend Claudia Assis has another well written article for your enjoyment/S

Tesla’s earnings on tap next week: Will a loss end its blowout stock rally?

Notice she forgot to put "we hope" at the end:D

I read this article, so you don't all need to go and take a shower...

Actually some factually interesting data in there - although I find it odd that she would compare 2020 Q2 consensus estimate against 2019 Q1 - of what relevance is that, oh yes, it's the biggest loss in recent years, so lets bring it up now :confused:

Here’s what to expect:

Earnings: Consensus from 33 Wall Street analysts polled by FactSet calls for a GAAP loss of $1.02 cents a share, which would compare with a GAAP loss of $2.31 a share in the first quarter of 2019. The analysts expect an adjusted loss of 14 cents a share, which would compare with an adjusted loss of $1.12 a share a year ago.

Estimize, a crowdsourcing platform that gathers estimates from Wall Street analysts, as well as buy-side analysts, fund managers, company executives, academics and others, is expecting an adjusted profit of 6 cents a share.

Also note how she quotes Dan Ives, but somehow omits to mention Wedbush's $2000 price target:

Battery-technology innovations “remain the key ingredients in Tesla’s success on the battery front and we believe the company is getting closer to announcing the million mile battery,” Dan Ives of Wedbush said in a recent note. Such a battery could “last for decades, withstand all types of weather/terrain, and be another major milestone for the Tesla ecosystem.”

By her standards it's a very fair article!

@Unpilot, not sure why you added the "/s" in your comment. The Claudia Assis article is factual, well written and quite positive for Tesla, although the title could have been better selected. I find Claudia's articles to be fair in general with no hidden agenda. I'm beginning to believe that the media publishers select the title of articles for click-bait, not from the author of the article. The number of times I have seen the same article, same author, with a different title (to suit their hidden agenda) is now quite frequent.

Share price <$1,500 USD seems to carry good support and appears to be good buying opportunity. Looking forward to next weeks Q2 results and upcoming Battery Day.

Why does she write this? "The rally has boosted the electric car maker’s market value to $325 billion, making Tesla the most valued car company in the world after Japan’s Toyota Motor Co"

• Informative
Reactions: floydboy
TBH I think they dropped the ball by not bringing $TSLA into the index beginning of this year. Was pretty obvious the general trajectory we were taking, although I think the speed of the SP rise took most of us by surprise.
Do you think that TSLA would have exploded the way it did if it was included in the index beginning of the year? Granted, the March sell off was major for all markets, but i think TSLA SP is better off this way IMHO.

• Helpful
Reactions: oldTAVguy