Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if they report the profit quarter, which I expect the would, why wouldn't Thursday be "sell the news" event? Maybe this time is different, but I'm expecting a healthy pullback after earnings. My gut says back to 1200, before it rises again. There will be plenty of weak longs and 2-3x profit takes to shake. I'd love to be wrong.

Either way, hold on to your hats ...

Last ER was also "different" - many expected sell the news, but it wasnt.. ;-)

Even if they report the profit quarter, which I expect the would, why wouldn't Thursday be "sell the news" event? Maybe this time is different, but I'm expecting a healthy pullback after earnings. My gut says back to 1200, before it rises again. There will be plenty of weak longs and 2-3x profit takes to shake. I'd love to be wrong.

You think the institutional investors are front running S&P to “sell the news” once we have a confirmation of GAAP profit?. That does not sound very smart.

I think we could see a sell off if we hear any uncertainty with the S&P inclusion.

I only make TSLA purchases in conjunction/timing with ARK ... they have sold "a lot" of shares due to balancing rqmts over the past month or so ... I do not have that kind of discipline and ... we may never see some of those SP again
I forgot to mention the ~700 shares I sold last year for dirt cheap before my latest rebalancing act. Ouch! Especially since my sister posted her retirement spot, 40 acres on a mountain surrounded by lakes and reserves in Canada. I would have around 500 shares if not for the pandemic... got nervous about a crash. Still am. But I try not to look at what I could have had - that's the glass half empty feeling I don't like.

Instead, I'm super grateful and helping others more now - delivering voting fliers, donating to KJZZ / NPR, Az Dem Candidates, Science/STEM... I highly recommend it for your own well being. Call it a 12th step if that's your thing. Lots of people need help now... you literally can't miss.
upload_2020-7-21_7-3-20.png

If there's a sell off, it's going to a whale coordinated attack and short lived. This is a momentum stock. There's a base price somewhere below this point - that much I agree with, but right now is not the time to play musical chair. "The next 4, 5 months will be very exciting" - Trevor Milton, 2020. There will be an attack to shake out weak longs but I think by now the whales have realized there's power in holding TSLA. This power is amplified by each whale who decides to hold. That is the power of scarcity. The less we are willing to sell, the more it take to manipulate.

And that was when the Raven came out right? To me that was a pretty significant upgrade which allow them to hit 400 miles range today.
Nope, not even close. The Elecktrik 'refresh' rumor was the previous Fall, and it was all about a refreshed interior because redFay wanted one, and Tesla hired Volvo's interior designer. When Raven was released, it was a drivetrain upgrade replacing the front AC motor with a SRPM from the Model 3.

The only thing Electrik achieved with that article was a few clikz and Osborning S/X sales in 2019Q1. Despicable yellow journalism blogging.

Oh, and the Volvo guy redesigned the seats.

I think we could see a sell off if we hear any uncertainty with the S&P inclusion.

Assuming a profit is announced, I don't see a pullback until after S&P inclusion is announced and filters through. People are expecting it to react positively. FOMO will probably keep people from selling, but when the top happens I expect a February style drop.​

I guess. I'm thinking most of it is already priced in. Again I'm completely expecting to be wrong most of the time :)

So here's an important question. Assuming the quarter is profitable, when would we realistically expect to know about S&P inclusion? Days, weeks, months later?

Isn't this like saying there will be no Buying pressure from S&P inclusion?

If profits are reported, then S&P becomes viability, all eyes will be on that.
After that, Sept 22nd is share holder meeting and battery Day. (& can include Stock Split).
1st week of Oct is Q3 production numbers.

I'm all for small pull backs but seems like the long term trajectory till like 3Q 2021 atleast is going to be up. ~ Cheers!!

Yesterday afternoon I received an interesting phone call from Fidelity (where I have an IRA account). I have had an IRA account with them for 12 years. Last year I moved all my investment into TSLA. Keep in mind I have never received a phone call from them in the past, never.

So the phone call goes like this:
Fidelity: We notice you have all of your investment in TSLA. Why?
Me: Because I have done my research and I in believe in this company.
Fidelity: Would you like to talk to one of our experts about diversifying?
Me: Nope. I am all set.
Fidelity: We strongly suggest you talk to our experts about diversifying?
Me: Look, this is my money and I can invests it any way I want to. If I need any help I will reach out to you. Thanks for the offer.
Fidelity: But sir, we understand that..............
Me: Good bye (I hang up)

Has this happened to anyone else? Why would they be so concerned about my investment strategy?

Whatever "analyst" has the $2.77B revenue estimate should just be removed from the numbers, they obviously have no clue or are just attempting to manipulate the numbers.
$2.77B for a keyfob maker is a lot :confused:
I guess. I'm thinking most of it is already priced in. Again I'm completely expecting to be wrong most of the time :)

So here's an important question. Assuming the quarter is profitable, when would we realistically expect to know about S&P inclusion? Days, weeks, months later?
To say it's been priced in is to say you know at what price it should be trading at without the possibility of inclusion. Right now I don't think anybody knows and the price actions we've seen the last 7 months signal that we're still in a period of price discovery. Per my own calculation, for every year further into the future the market decides to look, TSLA should go up 35%. In 2019 it was looking at 2016. Who know what year it is looking at right now?

Last edited: