Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well we are within $80 or so of intraday ATH. Let's see how this evolves. Elon may share some news on the call that boost things further. (Or may make it go the other way, lol).

No retirements please!

Confirm target for 500K units this year! This to me is one of the biggest take aways. Strong forward guidance.

Indicative of the recent tactical shift to under promise and over deliver. It's a cautiously optimistic reaffirmation of guidance. Well done.

Earnings FLASH
  • Tesla: Megapack Generated Profit for First Time in 2Q
  • Tesla Installing More Machinery at Fremont Factory, Which is Expected to Increase Total Model 3/Model Y Capacity From 400,000 to 500,000 Units Per Year
  • Tesla Expects 'Successful' 2H
  • Tesla: Production Output at Existing Facilities Continues to Improve
  • Tesla 2Q Positive Free Cash Flow $418M
  • Tesla 2Q Operating Margin 5.4%
  • Tesla 2Q Rev $6.04B
  • Tesla 2Q EPS 50c
  • Tesla 2Q Adj EPS $2.18
  • Tesla 2Q Net $104M
  • Earnings Flash (TSLA) TESLA INC. Posts Q2 EPS $2.18, vs Street Est of $-0.16
  • Earnings Flash (TSLA) TESLA INC. Posts Q2 Revenue $6.0B, vs Street Est $5.4B
  • Tesla Reports Q2 Non-GAAP Earnings Of $2.18 Per Share
  • Tesla: Higher Vehicle Deliveries, Regulatory Credit Rev, Energy Rev Somewhat Offset by Lower Vehicle Average Selling Pric and Lower Svcs and Other Rev

From the smartest man in the world (Just ask his mom!) :

ENcLV1JW4AAvBdr.png:large

https://seekingalpha.com/article/25...-tesla-to-sell-500000-cars-in-2020-are-absurd

Id rank him #2 behind AJ and in front of this dude:

upload_2020-7-22_13-49-29.png

Well, a few thoughts as we wait for the conference call...

-Regulatory credits are indeed a little eye-popping, but that's fine. I consider them perfectly legitimate revenue at this time rather than accounting tricks (as they are not going anywhere anytime soon), and even if you were to want to discount them, if you remove them entirely, FCF is about neutral. In a quarter where a pandemic shut the main factory down for well over a month.
-Margins steady to up depending on which metric you choose to focus on. During a pandemic.
-The graph of Tesla vs other manufacturers' YoY deliveries in 1H 2020 is devastating (for everyone else).
-Storage is up.
-Solar is down both sequentially and vs Q2 2019, which is not great.
-I am approximately 99.8% certain that their guesstimate of Shanghai-produced Model Y in 1Q 2021 is a sandbag. Would bet large sums we see deliveries this year.
-500k 'difficult' but still the goal for this year.
-Profitable for 4 consecutive quarters for the first time.
-Hoping we get more guidance on Semi and Cybertruck on the call.
-Stock's gonna do what it's gonna do, I am in a zen mode at this stage, as I find this letter wholly acceptable during a pandemic.
-$8.6B cash on hand means they are well-positioned to ride out any further COVID-19 issues.
-I require an additional beer.

Last edited:
Solar roof tripling installation is pretty cool.

The AutoBidding utility software is pretty cool. The is where dormant billions no one has thought about may lie.

Just ask Enron! No wait, I mean ummm.

Come on just joking!

If Tesla lays down huge numbers of batteries and combines it with this software they can totally disrupt the utility business and line their pockets. And all for the mission!