Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Form CT Order just filed with SEC. Hmmm

View this filing →

Looks like nothing special., just an extension of previous CTO...
Filing:
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/999999999720004329/filename1.pdf
From
EDGAR Filing Documents for 9999999997-20-004329

Tesla, Inc. submitted an application under Rule 24b-2 requesting an extension of a previous grant of confidential treatment for information it excluded from the Exhibits to a Form 10-Q filed on August 7, 2015.

Based on representations by Tesla, Inc. that this information qualifies as confidential commercial or financial information under the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S.C. 552(b)(4), the Division of Corporation Finance has determined not to publicly disclose it. Accordingly, excluded information from the following exhibit will not be released to the public for the time period specified:

Exhibit 10.1through August 7, 2023

Ok thanks.

Here's what it says.

UNITED STATES
SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION August 7, 2020

ORDER GRANTING CONFIDENTIAL TREATMENT UNDER THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934

Tesla, Inc.

File No. 001-34756 - CF#32829 _____________________

Tesla, Inc. submitted an application under Rule 24b-2 requesting an extension of a previous grant of confidential treatment for information it excluded from the Exhibits to a Form 10-Q filed on August 7, 2015.

Based on representations by Tesla, Inc. that this information qualifies as confidential commercial or financial information under the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S.C. 552(b)(4), the Division of Corporation Finance has determined not to publicly disclose it. Accordingly, excluded information from the following exhibit will not be released to the public for the time period specified:

Exhibit 10.1 through August 7, 2023

For the Commission, by the Division of Corporation Finance, pursuant to delegated authority:

Patti J. Dennis
Chief, Office of Disclosure Support

I think selling electricity at fast charging stations can be more profitable that selling petrol at gas stations....

This is only true under the assumption that all charging is done at fast charging stations. In reality most people, will use slow chargers where they park their car, work, home etc. Basically 90% of the revenue of a gas station is gone because people will slow charge majority of their driving needs. Electricity is 1/3 cost per mile compared to oil; therefore roughly 97% of gas station revenue is gone excluding merchandise sale. This is the reason I believe third party superchargers are not growing as fast. They need a gigantic fleet to break even. The cost of a supercharger must be included in the cost of the car. This where the business model is fundamentally different from oil/gas station. For traditional OEMs, this is a chicken and egg problem. Unless they sell huge number of EV cars, they cannot embark on building a gigantic network of fast chargers and they do not want to sell a large number for EVs.
I believe this is why Tesla started building Superchargers themselves because they realized that in the new EV world an OEM will also have to provide charging needs. Remember, a supercharger costs substantially lesser than a gas station.

Yeah, it's likely just a filing to extend the existing confidentiality order for Tesla's battery supply arrangement at GF1 Nevada.

Could be an amendment to the existing CTO between Tesla and FCA. iirc, That CTO expires in August 2023, but could be wrong on the date. Someone with more than 2 thumbs can look it up. TIA.

"Tesla, Inc. submitted an application under Rule 24b-2 requesting an extension of a previous grant of confidential treatment for information it excluded from the Exhibits to a Form 10-Q filed on August 7, 2015"​

Last edited:
Last edited:
Any chance of China retaliating against Tesla as payback for Trump going after them on Tik tok / etc ?

I sure hope not.
Unlike the current US administration (Trump-tards) ... China understands climate change is real , transportation is a huge component of CO2 emission ~30% and a significant polluter ... killing people and exacerbating the covid19 death rate ...

so no China will not retaliate against Tesla...

I would argue if given the opportunity it is much more likely that Trump and his goons would retaliate against Tesla if it benefited him even marginally

Person, woman, man camera, tv :eek:

Last edited:
The economics of charging networks is just not there. Tesla uses it in place of advertising, so they don't really care about whether it is stand-alone-business profitable.
This is where Tesla becoming a Grid as a Service company will help drive the economics. Assume over time that energy costs will decline. Solar and wind will fall to 2 cents per kWh. If Tesla cars and solar homes and mega packs are all part of a software based grid on top of the existing grid, they can buy and sell energy making billions of micro transactions, reducing grid costs and eliminating legacy asset value of fossil fuel based generation, starting with coal and peaker plants. Battery day discussion I expect. This will be more profitable long term, then selling mags packs. Like Apple App Store, over time services will become very important to TSLA.

Yeah, it's likely just a filing to extend the existing confidentiality order for Tesla's battery supply arrangement at GF1 Nevada.

"Tesla, Inc. submitted an application under Rule 24b-2 requesting an extension of a previous grant of confidential treatment for information it excluded from the Exhibits to a Form 10-Q filed on August 7, 2015"​
I don't know if this is the FCA CTO, for a fact. However, I have often thought that this CTO agreement covers more than pooling considerations. In particular, I have felt that Fiat could be a good candidate for licensing Tesla's technology for small cars, say under $20K. I am not saying that this is what the addendum to the existing CTO is. Just saying, having a partner in the lower-priced, quasi-commoditized market may not be a bad idea in terms of furthering the mission. JMO.

Did anyone else watch the fullycharged episode about the Chengdu motor show? It looks like there's quite a few "good enough" ev's being produced for a fraction of the price of a Tesla. You can see 3 or 4 models that have everything you need to get around town along with a decent interior which are half the price of a M3 SR.

Great to see the industry expanding in this direction, it's the only way we'll get to transition in time to combat AGW.

I'd argue that some of these cars are good enough and so cheap that we may see a reduction in Model 3 buyers that were trading up from Corollas and Civics for ideological reasons but don't want to spend on a fancy car.

Video below for anyone interested.

I don't know if this is the FCA CTO, for a fact. However, I have often thought that this CTO agreement covers more than pooling considerations. In particular, I have felt that Fiat could be a good candidate for licensing Tesla's technology for small cars, say under $20K. I am not saying that this is what the addendum to the existing CTO is. Just saying, having a partner in the lower-priced, quasi-commoditized market may not be a bad idea in terms of furthering the mission. JMO.

It's an extension of the 2015 request for confidentially, not an addendum nor an expansion.

The Chinese are very good at playing the long game. They know close economic ties with the US are still too important for the Chinese economy. They also know Trump will probably be gone in half a year and the new administration will likely have a more constructive policy. They will ride it out and maybe respond with some symbolic action, but nothing drastic that could hurt companies like Tesla.
Nailed it. They won't take the bait and realize Trump's actions are desperate election swings.

On the other hand, if Trump is reelected...same thing may apply but it gets more complicated.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Unlike the current US administration (Trump-tards) ... China understands climate change is real , transportation is a huge component of CO2 emission ~30% and a significant polluter ... killing people and exacerbating the covid19 death rate ...

so no China will not retaliate against Tesla...

I would argue if given the opportunity it is much more likely that Trump and his goons would retaliate against Tesla if it benefited him even marginally

Person, woman, man camera, tv :eek:

What China says and what it does doesn't always match up.

When the Chinese economy started slowing they quietly curtailed their plans to cut coal usage, and now coal usage is at all-time highs. CO2 production is also at all-time highs.

In fact, I think China was responsible for all of the world's growth in CO2 emissions last year.

The US on the other hand has coal usage and CO2 emissions in steep decline.

Analysis: Global fossil-fuel emissions up 0.6% in 2019 due to China | Carbon Brief

"The growth of global emissions in 2019 was almost entirely due to China, which increased its CO2 output by 0.26GtCO2. The rest of the world actually reduced its emissions by -0.02GtCO2, thanks to falling coal use in the US and Europe, as well as much more modest increases in India and the rest of the world, compared to previous years."

Last edited:
Did anyone else watch the fullycharged episode about the Chengdu motor show? It looks like there's quite a few "good enough" ev's being produced for a fraction of the price of a Tesla. You can see 3 or 4 models that have everything you need to get around town along with a decent interior which are half the price of a M3 SR.

Great to see the industry expanding in this direction, it's the only way we'll get to transition in time to combat AGW.

I'd argue that some of these cars are good enough and so cheap that we may see a reduction in Model 3 buyers that were trading up from Corollas and Civics for ideological reasons but don't want to spend on a fancy car.

Video below for anyone interested.

Yes there are good enough and much cheaper EV available on Chinese market.

But no that won’t have any effect on number of Model 3&Y buyers, the market is so big, and they are targeting completely different groups of people.

I literally see people saying they didn’t buy BYD because they don’t want to drive the same car as the security guard of their office building.

Well, my Raven has a button on the autopilot screen that says allow autopilot to change lanes automatically when overtaking. It works in both directions. It may be down off the bottom and need to be rolled up.

Please people! Read the thread you are replying to. NOA is a Tesla feature, not a GMC feature! When you haven't bothered to read the context of a comment, you shouldn't be replying to it!