Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I just vent a little of my frustration with the Bay Area here?
Then Saturday night there was a totally freakish thunderstorm that came in (it wasn't even anywhere on forecast Saturday) and the lightening struck 2000 times in the Santa Cruz mountains, starting a whole bunch of fires.

Now that smoke is covering most of the Bay Area (trapped in by mountains) and the air quality is horrific.

So here we are, it's too effing hot with no central AC. Can't hang out outside. And portable / wall unit ACs will just pump in more of this trash air. Oh and the power might go out again.

The connection to Tesla is of course global warming, poor grid stability, and heck even not good enough options of AC systems / filtration.

Even the Bay Area needs Tesla.
I hear you neighbor. Fall has a new name in No. Cal. - "Fire Season." Don't see this changing any time soon.

If you ask the new generation of new car buyers, are they going to buy an ICE or EV, they will say EV - not just for the economic rationale, but to help save the environment - their future (not that of their parents or grandparents).
That's not what I hear. Tesla's are still too expensive. You can buy a fun-to-drive VW GTI for a price in the upper 20's. The number that matters is the monthly payment, and Tesla loses on this to many ICE alternatives.

And it's clear from Elon's comments that he understands this.

Same thing happened to me during the 2008 meltdown....Had been paying our mortgage prudently and never missed a payment. Called the bank and told them i just want a reduction in my APR. They told me straight up "NO!". Thought to myself...hmmm...."Why would they want to help someone who actually pays on time." Decided that since CA was so backlogged in foreclosures, they wouldn't even get to me until 6-12 months later and we would have the funds to get caught up anyways. I was ok with my credit taking a dump since we were not going to make a big purchase anytime soon. Stopped paying them and they started calling after 4 months. After 8 months, they finally left a message saying "We are willing to work with you...."

Like that 4D chess move.

Could be worse, you could have a job to go to... :p

aq7v8Y7_700b.jpg

EDIT: Just got worse... -$38 in 20 min from 2:00 pm to 2:20 pm

Shortzes just neva gift up. :p

Last edited:
Filling out the proxy voting document and all is straightforward until the last proposal:

7. Stockholder proposal regarding additional reporting on human rights.

"Tesla's products use thousands of purchased parts sourced from hundreds of global suppliers through complex extended supply chains. The company states that “reliably determining the origin [of raw materials] is a difficult task.”1 The use of cobalt in lithium-ion batteries poses human rights risks for Tesla. 60% of cobalt globally is produced in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) where child labor is pervasive.2 Cobalt mining is one of the worst forms of child labor. Children work in mines at risk of collapse, use sharp tools, and lack safety equipment. Tesla is among five companies facing a class action lawsuit filed on behalf of 14 children and parents from the DRC, which includes allegations of “aiding and abetting in the death and serious injury of children who claim they were working in cobalt mines in their supply chain.”3 While Tesla reports on cobalt sourcing procedures and indicates it is looking for ways to reduce the cobalt in its batteries, the company does not provide sufficient evidence to demonstrate its cobalt supply chain is free of child labor. Conflict minerals, steel, lithium, rubber, mica, and electronics may also present human rights risks for Tesla.4"

To me, this should be a Yes, but I don't want to put extra burden on the company by voting Yes.

Any thoughts on this point by more experienced investors?

Tesla's entire purpose is to improve the environment and humanity's situation. I suggest a 'Yes' vote even if it does end up costing us a little bit of money.

Filling out the proxy voting document and all is straightforward until the last proposal:

7. Stockholder proposal regarding additional reporting on human rights.

"Tesla's products use thousands of purchased parts sourced from hundreds of global suppliers through complex extended supply chains. The company states that “reliably determining the origin [of raw materials] is a difficult task.”1 The use of cobalt in lithium-ion batteries poses human rights risks for Tesla. 60% of cobalt globally is produced in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) where child labor is pervasive.2 Cobalt mining is one of the worst forms of child labor. Children work in mines at risk of collapse, use sharp tools, and lack safety equipment. Tesla is among five companies facing a class action lawsuit filed on behalf of 14 children and parents from the DRC, which includes allegations of “aiding and abetting in the death and serious injury of children who claim they were working in cobalt mines in their supply chain.”3 While Tesla reports on cobalt sourcing procedures and indicates it is looking for ways to reduce the cobalt in its batteries, the company does not provide sufficient evidence to demonstrate its cobalt supply chain is free of child labor. Conflict minerals, steel, lithium, rubber, mica, and electronics may also present human rights risks for Tesla.4"

To me, this should be a Yes, but I don't want to put extra burden on the company by voting Yes.

Any thoughts on this point by more experienced investors?
Vote whatever you like. These things never pass.

Good to see a piece like this on Tesla's manufacturing prowess: The Tesla Gigafactory Phenomenon — 101.

Business school gurus and corporate engineers continue to be in awe of the Tesla Gigafactory phenomenon. Tesla’s formidable manufacturing infrastructure and logistical configurations are continuously expanding in scale and improving in sophistication. The Tesla Gigafactory is renowned for advanced efficiency and effectiveness, reaching levels of production that few around the globe have been able to emulate.

Cramer on $TSLA today:

"If you can develop a battery that lasts for 2 thousand miles, then Tesla for the first time ever, has developed a car that is not a car. It has developed a device that gets you from A to B without carbon. And then you ask yourself Why is Tesla only worth $350 billion? Should be worth more"
Thats unfortunate. Im excited for battery day but 2k on one charge is not setting good expectations.

Been a while since posting here. Just thought I would offer some perspective. This is what TSLA has meant to me and my wife. It has enable this dream for us. Not an island...just a mountain. Now we're working on the house to go on it.

Stay calm. Stay long. Use the money when it enables dreams to come true. That's what we did anyway.

Advice.

Dan

Last edited:
Been a while since posting here. Just thought I would offer some perspective. This is what TSLA has meant to me and my wife. It has enable thus dream for us. Not an island...just a mountain. Now we're working on the house to go on it.

Stay calm. Stay long. Use the money when it enables dreams to come true. That's what we did anyway.

Advice.

Dan

You bought the Amazon rainforest!

You're a TMC'er so we know it's in good hands.

Congratulations on achieving your dream - Enjoy in health.

Last edited:
For years and years, when checking SP, first digit used to be 3.
Then things started to change.
My familiar 3 got lost.
I could not get used to those rapid changing digits.
Staring at the ticker got me paralized.
Luckily is being paralized of form of HODL.
Split was announced, I got new hopes.
Would I be able to see that comforting 3 again?
Now it looks like I will miss out on my favorite 3.
What to do?
Just wait for the next split I suppose,