Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Methinks the Market Monkeys have given up with $2100 and are now hedging it...? Not an advice.

The attraction of a $420.69 split is just too strong.

That volume spike starting at 9:45 sure looks like it. That’s not just some whale buying. When they do that to the downside, it’s “manipulation”. This: “hedging”.

The ridiculous number of calls open around $2100 cannot be explained by spreads; there' almost as much open interest in those five strikes as the entire rest of the options pool. It seems like the same strategy that someone had a couple of weeks ago: buy a lot of calls and force the market makers to buy to delta hedge them.

The five strikes from $2090-$2110 have a total open interest of around 54,000 contracts, representing 5.4 million shares, worth north of $10B dollars. It isn't Porsche-Volkwagen levels but it's a lot.

It is brilliant to apply software principles to the automotive manufacture. I just dont wanna be working at the service centre. Where I need to know tons about all the different designs and iterations. But maybe it is not so complicated as I imagine. Or maybe that is the reason Tesla service is so expenseive

I think people forget about what happened in World War 2 - a time of immense technological progress where early advances were stymied by bureaucracy, armed forces, civilian and supplier politics.

Pre-war - not much money, very bureaucratic, top-down - glacial.

Real threat to existence and way of life led to old wood being trimmed or by-passed. Even then progress could have been faster if the need to produce huge volumes wasn't so intense.

Eventually rapid development became the norm, factories, models, field modifications - everything.

Tesla seems to be one of the few organisations where being an innovation-stopper, safe-path follower or magical thinker is dangerous for your job. Facts, first principles and fast progress reign.

No wonder they are so popular for young engineers. Very few companies are like this, I'm not sure I have another non-Musk example.

12 startups in 1

Here's one I found recently that I like: Tesla Inc.

View attachment 580830

Be careful with Market Watch -- I've noticed significant lag in their volume reporting. Right now it says 2.6M while it is actually 3.281M

edit: if you watch the volume graph it will slowly build up. The initial spike can keep growing, for more than an hour, particularly on high volume days

Methinks the Market Monkeys have given up with $2100 and are now hedging it...? Not an advice.

The attraction of a $420.69 split is just too strong.
4csf97.jpg

This is advice. Be prepared for the onslaught.

Someone several pages back shared the fires near Fremont made them nervous. Yesterday, at 5 pm PDT, the "Fire Evacuation Warning Zone" that was 3 miles away from Tesla Factory was lifted. The huge fire is still burning, but the current hot spots are nowhere near Fremont or the factory.
upload_2020-8-26_7-20-35.png

When I just showed this to my wife she remarked that it is amazing a large company could have a 10-1 increase in just 12 months. I wonder if this has ever happened before, e.g. $40B to $400B or similar? :D

That volume spike starting at 9:45 sure looks like it. That’s not just some whale buying. When they do that to the downside, it’s “manipulation”. This: “hedging”.
guessing? or is there something material about your comment?? Watching all the action on Tesla, it really seems to me that big whales are buying left and right and are trying to be cautious about not letting the stock run too high.

I am actually really glad about the stock split. Finally, I would be able to afford option plays on Tesla on the american ones. I hate it, but due to the high prices, I have been forced to play with the european ones, and by god they are so rigged. The only advantage that I see with the european options are that you get to dollar cost average and can get into the game for your choice of strike price and expiry with your choice of money you would like to spend. Dont get me started on how they stack the odds against you. Kids if you are watching, stay away from european options if you can.

With all the crazy gains, in the last few months, I am just wondering about how do I move my returns (10X my net worth) over to IB to trade american. I am in a soup that I might have to pay the tax already if I close the european option positions. Damn. Get me a meeting with the german lawyers already!!

Someone several pages back shared the fires near Fremont made them nervous. Yesterday, at 5 pm PDT, the "Fire Evacuation Warning Zone" that was 3 miles away from Tesla Factory was lifted. The huge fire is still burning, but the current hot spots are nowhere near Fremont or the factory.
View attachment 580863
When I just showed this to my wife she remarked that it is amazing a large company could have a 10-1 increase in just 12 months. I wonder if this has ever happened before, e.g. $40B to $400B or similar? :D
As one of this forum’s Market Historians, my answer is “No”.

It’s not that difficult to determine, as long as you keep the resultant number high enough - like >$250 billion. I’m not going to go through the entire list but someone might see how close Facebook may have come to this level of performance.

Caveats:

1. US market only. China’s market contains some >$250 billion whales and there may be one or two there.

2. Not adjusted for inflation, however - in that my father imparted to me his own many decades of direct market knowledge I can speak reasonably fluently of the past eighty years - the US equities market did not traditionally have such immense swings amongst its blue chips, not even in the immediate pre-War years coming out of the Great Depression.

Could it be that manipulators who were shorting Tsla on monday (A big day with 1% increase on SandP) are only just covering after 2 days? Or do these algos usually cover on the same day? It was so weird to see tesla go down when the broader markets were so euphoric. Check out the attachment

P.S. I am sorry for starting so many discussions in paralell. I got fast fingers :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 16.33.50.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 16.33.50.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: Lessmog