Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My biggest question is how are revenue free EV stocks less volatile than tesla? They should track Tesla at 2-3x, not 0.5 to 0.25x. Almost feels like Tesla is the speculative stock here.

Tesla is volatile because the market is realizing current revenues are insignificant compared to probable future revenues. Basically, it's not trading based on current revenues and estimating future revenuues requires a wide range. Therefore market sentiment will have an over-sized influence and create high volatility. This should expected and accepted, welcomed even.

The other EV makers? That's just a reflection of the fact that the market doesn't really understand that making a best-selling EV is not as simple as putting a big battery under the floor and hooking the red wire to positive and the black wire to negative. I would caution against trying to compare TSLA to any other carmaker and that applies whether they are ICE or EV.

Tesla stands alone because no other company comes close to having what they have.

I bought a share today with change in my taxable account. I was going to buy 5 or 10 shares on one of the accounts but the process to add funds is just too slow. I can go spend thousands of dollars on Amazon and have a garage full of boxes tomorrow but for some reason in this online world it takes longer to just move the dollars around.

Depends on your broker and value I think. If I hit a deposit button on eTrade, the money is available for us instantly.

Reactions: Tim S and MP3Mike
Story time. This morning I helped my school with student electronics pickup. One of the other Dads had been asking me about Tesla so we were chatting. I also have a rattle in my dash that I had scheduled a mobile appointment to have fixed next week. I guess they had time so they wanted to change it to today. So, I had the tech come to the school parking lot. Everyone thought mobile service was amazing. The conversation then turned to Tesla/TSLA, and other stocks. One guy mentioned the FUD about Tesla not being profitable without credits, but as I explained he said he actually saw it as a positive. Having your competition pay you because they couldn't make their own clean cars.

After the tech wrapped up (didn't have the part unfortunately) I used smart summon to have the car come get me. It did a a perfect job at navigating the parking lot and moving around cars in a very smooth manner. Then I gave the other Dad a drive.

Elon, you are welcome for the free advertising. ;)

By using Tesla for years as clickbait they have inadvertently pushed the company into the public's consciousness.

Nice job. BUT if you had really been using first principles thinking, you'd have offered the ride to Daddy's kiddo. ;)

upload_2020-9-2_20-8-8.png

You only need one

I seriously hope you aren't suggesting that buying during the COVID drop is "trying to time the market". Trying to hit the bottom would be, but plenty of investors bought on the way down. And it wasn't a momentary drop like today, it was an extended buying extravaganza. And it isn't like I was asleep the entire time. I didn't buy on the way down even though I had cash to do so.

I'm no advocate of trying to time the market. I have tried to do some dollar cost averaging and I did go to great lengths to get some dry powder during the great short seller give away in 2019. But, as I've said before, my buy during that drop was reasonably close to the bottom due to luck, nothing else.

Timing the peaks and valleys is a fools errand, but buying during a dip just makes sense.

Put another way, the reason I didn't buy today was that I'm so concentrated in $TSLA it will take a great buy to get me to go in further. The decision had nothing to do with timing the market, it was all about managing risk. For me, going to >95% $TSLA is too much risk without it being a great buying opportunity. For some being 95% in would be too much risk, while others would say it is too little.

To each their own, but that is risk management, not market timing.

Thank you for your explanation! This is why I’m here..

Are they essentially reversing the order of your transactions since they both occurred the same day? So, as far as the IRS is concerned, you bought some shares and then sold them instead of selling some shares and then buying them?

That seems fishy, but I guess it's doable depending on the time accuracy of what's being reported.
I called my broker asking if something like that that would be doable when I assigned a transaction lot number by ID number in the Unsettled Closed Positions section (effectively reversing the transaction order), but in the end, my broker's online system would not accept it.

Pardon my amateurish attempt of describing this.

If I know him he had all his stock positions that needed to be dealt with closed down and settled. I bet he left his wife with TSLA shares yet though! Great guy...

Not that this is much of a silver lining but I believe the cost basis is updated at the time of inheritance.

Which reminds me, I hope my significant other isn't thinking of bumping me off.

A little swing trading today: sold 100 shares at 495 and bought back at 449 and 426.