Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here might be part of the explanation for today's -17% move for $TSLA
View attachment 585819

I don’t think so. A lot of what happens with Tesla is telegraphed by our media. It started off with a couple of articles about how S&P dissed Tesla. And then it continued over the weekend with some additional FUD articles.

No matter what the macros did they were always going to push TSLA down today. The tactics are really becoming old but hey do it as long as it works.

I also think Rob and SMR etc should stop giving any face time to these bears. The best policy should be to ignore them because they are never going to change their mind. It’s nothing but personal for the GLJs and the David Trainers of the world. They work as messengers for our hedge funds.

Yeah, intraday low was already -24.5% when you posted this. :p

Now above today's Open as some steady buying interest materializes with the Uptick Rule in force.

View attachment 585815

I'll be watching for selling pressure if/when we close the gap to Friday's low at 372.02

Cheers!

Any thoughts on whether the circuit breakers may trip on this movement? I was expecting some breaks at 5/10/20, but I had forgotten that they don't trip in the first 15 and last 25 minutes of trading.

Yeah so......sorry but it seems very apparent to me based on the news of the offering being sold, that Tesla got played in this scenario. If they're announcing it has closed, it means they've been issuing shares at these lower prices. It seems obvious to me that they thought they were going to get inclusion and wanted to ride that....but the rug got pulled out from under them by the S&P. Should have just done a regular offerring at 480 :oops:

Also not to ge a Debbie downer, but those Aug china sales are quite a bit lower than I was hoping for
If the rug was pulled Elon would have said something. Either Tesla has $5B for new battery expansion (or some new venture) and S&P was never on the table or S&P is coming and it is all going as planned.

Yeah so......sorry but it seems very apparent to me based on the news of the offering being sold, that Tesla got played in this scenario. If they're announcing it has closed, it means they've been issuing shares at these lower prices. It seems obvious to me that they thought they were going to get inclusion and wanted to ride that....but the rug got pulled out from under them by the S&P. Should have just done a regular offerring at 480 :oops:

Unfortunately agree with this take on the offering. But on the bright side cash is always good and it’s great they’ve got an additional 5B in the bank.

• Disagree
Reactions: skybluecgreen
My how times have changed.

It was not long ago that I would get very uneasy when the shares would go down by $5-10 and I “suffered” a paper loss of $5-10k! Now, I don’t even blink as the value of my TSLA HODL shares plummets by more than $800k and all I see is an opportunity to buy 10 more @ three fitty. :eek: Maybe I should see a doctor. :cool:

Also not to ge a Debbie downer, but those Aug china sales are quite a bit lower than I was hoping for

How is it so obvious? All we know is that they sold the last of the $5B on Friday. They could have sold most of it on the 1st when it was close to $500.

I bought 35 more at $348 to round out my share total, but now that it's up to $365, I'm hesitating adding shares for two in my family - both of whom insisted, despite its volatility, on buying some TSLA @ ~ $1,300 because I raved (and because I manage their investments for them). We're still down 12%, J! Stop being emotional about missing down 16%!! :confused:

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
If the rug was pulled Elon would have said something. Either Tesla has $5B for new battery expansion (or some new venture) and S&P was never on the table or S&P is coming and it is all going as planned.

Sorry but Elon silence or no silence doesn't mean diddly squat here. Based on the exact terms of the offer, Tesla took the chance with terms that said they chose to issue shares at market price on any specific date instead of doing a traditional offering at a set share price. By doing that and announcing they've issued at all the shares now, it means they've had to issue at shares at anywhere from 20-35% decline to what they could have gotten by doing a traditional offering at 480/share.

The rasing the cash isn't why I'm saying tesla got played. Its the terms they used for the offering. Absolutely no reason to do those terms unless you think theres a catalyst about to happen in the matter of days

It was not long ago that I would get very uneasy when the shares would go down by $5-10 and I “suffered” a paper loss of $5-10k! Now, I don’t even blink as the value of my TSLA HODL shares plummets by more than $800k and all I see is an opportunity to buy 10 more @ three fitty. :eek: Maybe I should see a doctor. :cool:
A doctor can't fix what's wrong with you...

Because there is nothing wrong with you.

How is it so obvious? All we know is that they sold the last of the $5B on Friday. They could have sold most of it on the 1st when it was close to $500.

Because they would have announced it closing much sooner. Please feel free to believe you're scenario. I dont think its nearly as rosy as that scenario

No one should be shocked when the exact details of the offering come out on the next 10k filing that shows they issued shares at an averge of low 400's/upper 300's.

I have same symptoms

Fair points but why the capital raise while not needing it at all, for initial terms that depress the SP and declaring today they already sold all of it and collected the cash?

Tesla is a cash-generating machine already and Q3 and Q4 look fabulous.

More cash does not accelerate the mission.
I am going to attach my thoughts to your post because you have my respect.
People are asking, "Why does Tesla need the money?".
(Remember I am not the insider and can only do real math with numbers.)
My first thought is: BATTERIES.
The amount of money to create an entirely new vertically-integrated Battery Industry.

If not that then a parabolic instantaneous increase in innovation and production across the multiple industries under the Tesla name. The old "compound" interest/growth story. If Tesla gets a month ahead of their timeline now then it means a year ahead in another year.

And why now.
Now is more important than all the past and future when it comes to doing.

And how Tesla sold the stock? Brilliant. I do not have the particulars, but what I have seen is Elon learns from all he does. He learns from failing (as well as from not failing though that is never emphasized). And I believe he saw he failed when he made the "normal" stock offering a few months back. I felt he left vast sums of money on the table, but I was happy he did it that way because it established a new lower support band that was so damn strong.

Elon needed the money to execute the "new" part of his plan. remember this is the time in the time line where he said Tesla would take off.

I'll be glad to watch it.

Sorry but Elon silence or no silence doesn't mean diddly squat here. Based on the exact terms of the offer, Tesla took the chance with terms that said they chose to issue shares at market price on any specific date instead of doing a traditional offering at a set share price. By doing that and announcing they've issued at all the shares now, it means they've had to issue at shares at anywhere from 20-35% decline to what they could have gotten by doing a traditional offering at 480/share.

The rasing the cash isn't why I'm saying tesla got played. Its the terms they used for the offering. Absolutely no reason to do those terms unless you think theres a catalyst about to happen in the matter of days
Well they probably would have a harder time getting a secondary in the middle of a squeeze because if sp at 480 was fundamentally driven then we wouldnt be at 360 today. Most people here thought the rise was some kind of stock split euphoria from major tech companies trapping weak longs.

So I'm glad Tesla got in front of the inevitable profit takers and got some free money.