Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You think a guy dropping $169,000 on a car is gonna routinely waste a bunch of time hanging around at an EA station in a walmart parking lot so he can get a few hours of free electric back home?

Of course not. I'm gonna hire a kid to be a full-time driver for my fleet of 26 Lucid Air's with free charging. The kid can drop off car A at the charging infrastructure and unplug car M and drive it back to the grid connection 5 minutes away. The kid will plug it in there so he can deliver car B to the charging station and pick up car N. And so on. I'll call my business Lucid Power Arbitrage. ;)

Trying to catch up here. In two days I fell 800 posts behind!:eek:

I still have 300 posts to go and I’m exhausted. Anybody got a TL;DR to cover them?:cool:
the stock was low, the stock is up and going up, Lucid did some marketing, now we wait for the real car. Progress in Berlin is still pretty awesom, texas also (playing in the dirt) and shanghai is cleaning up everything outside (no peeks inside sadly) and we're counting down to 22 sept.

A little aside, but germane to the above: On our just-finished 2,500 mile jaunt through a few of the northern states, Jenny stumbled over some nomenclature and said “those....IC engine cars”. I jumped on this and said “YES! From now on, we’ll call them “Ick Engines”!

So how many "ick engines" does your family own, operate and maintain? Serious question.

Please include any tool or vehicle containing one of these "ick engines". :)

Reactions: oldTAVguy
OT:

upload_2020-9-10_8-4-2.png

That also means we were down over $400 on Tuesday. :eek:

;) Best numbers are percentages. Up 10.9% yesterday, and another 5% in premarket. Works both for pre- and post- split.
I know what you mean, but shares are a semi-constant number and I'd rather have my account value grow by 5% of 400 than 5% of 100. Plus, there is that whole a 33% drop requires a 50% rise to get to the same point thing. Down $100 up $100 is easier for the mental math.

Well at least Elon had the self-awareness to see his own hubris in the past. These guys are so stuck up their own asses that they can't breathe.

Indeed, bring on $600+ and let's wreck their stupid index as-and-when, they deign to allow $TSLA to sully the S&P500.

Two words: **** them!
Thanks for putting this into words. They are unaware...stupid...full of themself to the point I thought of this.

cake.gif

I keep telling my wife this every time she brings up getting a natural gas generator.
I work in utilities so this subject is close to my heart. I often have that argument with people who cite cost. They really discount the savings that a solar/battery system can provide all year long. Meanwhile that generator is sitting collecting dust 99.9% of the time and just slowly wearing down and requiring maintenance. Plus they are loud and pollute. If you don't have time of use pricing, you will sooner or or later. That's when a battery can really make sense. Even with my low Kansas rates on a TOU rate I'd have a 10 year break even on a Powerwall. (not great but adds benefits of power backup etc.)

Interesting comment. Made me realize that early adopters of Teslas were in the same boat, took a big risk as there was no way to know if a new car company would fail.

Are any of you on this board part of that group?
Well, when I bought my first S, it was a 2 1/2 day barge trip to the service center. It was delivered to me in the parking lot of a bar. There were maybe 30 of us on the island. Some of my neighbors thought I was going Gaga.

Proof we are living in the matrix.

Look Out, Tesla, Another EV Is Coming—and This One Is Gunning for You

In that article is this gem:

"The Air isn’t only about range and charge time. It also comes with advanced safety features, like a Model S, and an Amazon.com (AMZN) Alexa personal assistant integrated into its controls."

edit to say that's a MarketWatch article for those who already took a shower.

Proof we are living in the matrix.

Look Out, Tesla, Another EV Is Coming—and This One Is Gunning for You

In that article is this gem:

"The Air isn’t only about range and charge time. It also comes with advanced safety features, like a Model S, and an Amazon.com (AMZN) Alexa personal assistant integrated into its controls."

edit to say that's a MarketWatch article for those who already took a shower.
Most people have no idea that voice command exist. Mostly because not a single mainstream reviewer talk about it, but complain about the touch screen being a distraction. I blew an owners mind the other day that you can go to websites while driving using voice command.

Last edited:
... and even the laggards in the industry should soon be able to, at a profit, produce EVs with a cheaper TCO than an equivalent ICE vehicle.
One of the problems for legacy auto is exactly this point: TCO. Why does an EV have a lower TCO? Because of lower maintenance costs. But maintenance is where dealerships make their money and it is a significant revenue stream for the manufacturer as well.

Dealerships: the problem here is that legacy manufacturers depend on the dealerships. This is multi-layered and includes dealerships being the actual customers who buy the cars; dealerships handle sales to the end user; manufacturers have cooperated with dealerships to have laws passed that require sales through dealerships. So if something hurts the dealerships it hurts the manufacturers.

Revenue: parts and accessories are a significant revenue stream for automotive manufacturers. It helps, a lot, that they use rube goldberg contraptions to provide motive force. There are always parts failing and needing replacement and the auto manufacturer lives off of this revenue stream.

Financing: a lot of income from making cars is derived from financing, but thanks to the dealership model being enshrined in law in many places this is at risk if dealerships can't stay in business due to loss of income.

In short, TCO is why the legacy manufacturers favor hybrids and H2 over EV. A recurring revenue stream beats one-time sales.

Where Does the Car Dealer Make Money? | Edmunds

How Do Car Companies Make Money?

20% extra battery would take the Model S to 485 miles at best
If Lucid Air had 120kWh battery they'd rate ~ 545 miles

13% extra battery would take Model S to 457 miles at best
Not if they update the car and use the Model Y heat mgmt system. Model Y heat pump solution appears to have added 15-20% range. If they increase battery density 10%, they can reduce weight per unit of energy as well. I expect an updated S and X getting over 500 and 450 miles respectively. Their going to need/want more power to drive the Plaid solution and that will payoff with more range with normal driving.

Trying to catch up here. In two days I fell 800 posts behind!:eek:

I still have 300 posts to go and I’m exhausted. Anybody got a TL;DR to cover them?:cool:

Any AI /Python wizards around? We could use an algo that hides from view (on demand) low quality OT posts, and also optionally ON Topic lower quality ones too. Barring that, maybe simply require an [OT] be inserted for each such post by the author, and/ or a self delete timer, say 3 day. And thanks to the mods for their tireless excellent job!