Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Paper trading is a great way to understand the mechanics, but it's hard to learn the best strategy for a stock like Tesla because you won't encounter the various market conditions for years. Unlike trading stocks where you can always wait for the SP to catch up, options go down when the SP isn't moving.

This creates a triple hit to options when TSLA falls or consolidates. The initial impact is from the stock drop followed by IV crush during consolidation. However, time is the most dangerous because holding onto the option indefinitely is not an option (pun intended) as value is lost day by day. This is why you so often hear about options dropping more than 80 or 90% in a short period of time.

Pullbacks last year and a bit earlier this year are the norm and not anomalies. We got lucky because the drop earlier this year was reversed through the Fed backing up corporate bonds and the government giving out stimulus, but a bailout may not have happened.

Also keep in mind that Tesla is more than 1/3 of the way to a $1T market cap. Although I'm very bullish on Tesla, I expect an extended consolidation will happen at some point because it can't keep going up at this pace. Shareholders shouldn't care less, but options holders get hit badly during periods like these.

Counter intuitively, you may wish to start with spreads to learn options, especially in the money (ITM) ones. Spreads can yield higher profit potential than stock, possibly with lower risk. They aren't as volatile as naked options, but time works in your favor. Spreads can max out just by sitting on them even when SP doesn't go up, and they cost a lot less than options.

My analogy is that spreads are like rock climbing with protection. The extra gear appears complicated, but it makes climbing safer and helps improve technique.
You keep saying "options" when you mean long calls. They are not the same thing, except when they are. Your statements are mostly wrong when applied to short puts. And, given that you're talking to somebody inexperienced, completely confusing and misleading.

Sorry. Out running and haven’t checked in. What if the watch is the gateway for the robotaxi fleet, etc. It gives you real-time tracking and info on cars, ability to call them, etc. in the beginning if you’ve spent the $ on the Tesla watch you may be less likely to be a person to destroy the car or barf in it. What if it tracks all the watches and uses that to swarm...

What if there is no SPoon Watch? :p

And today TSLA has broken back over $400. Now over $407, which means only another $11 to get back to $418. TSLA has recovered 88% of its precipitous drop in three and a half trading days. Volatility R US!
And... volatility! Now we've got it all back (plus $1 more) in four trading days after TSLA's worst day ever. On pretty much no news. Stay tuned for more excitement tomorrow.

After 2 years of my convincing, my 76 year old mother finally bought 40 shares of TSLA last week. She's ecstatic being up $2k in a few days and now is asking me about Model Ys ;)
I got you beat. My Step-father of 44 years was a whiz at creating wealth through the stock market the old way. I asked him about Tesla last December. he told me he did not think much of it. I went ahead in late January and purchased quite bit for me. A month ago he decided to buy Tesla. I am sure it wasn't with a good portion of his portfolio. His Financial advisor advise against it in the strongest terms possible. He still bought it. He caught most of the run up to the split, and was happy about the purchase, even last Friday. He told me his Financial advisor called him and asked him if he had anymore stock tips. He told the man that he had an inside source for Tesla...Me?
I haven't spoken to him today....
So that makes both of the people that I thought knew the stock market well have made more money off my stock advice than I have theirs. My Step Father and an Elderly Chinaman close friend. But they made their money in the stock market the "old way."

I got you beat. My Step-father of 44 years was a whiz at creating wealth through the stock market the old way. I asked him about Tesla last December. he told me he did not think much of it. I went ahead in late January and purchased quite bit for me. A month ago he decided to buy Tesla. I am sure it wasn't with a good portion of his portfolio. His Financial advisor advise against it in the strongest terms possible. He still bought it. He caught most of the run up to the split, and was happy about the purchase, even last Friday. He told me his Financial advisor called him and asked him if he had anymore stock tips. He told the man that he had an inside source for Tesla...Me?
I haven't spoken to him today....
So that makes both of the people that I thought knew the stock market well have made more money off my stock advice than I have theirs. My Step Father and an Elderly Chinaman close friend. But they made their money in the stock market the "old way."
You should tell your step-father to tell his financial advisor to buy the most advanced energy company out there, the one where even $TSLA is following in its footsteps....Starts with a N and ends with a A...:)

Cheers!

3B8E86EA-9966-4407-A762-0B971BDE7A2C.jpeg

(Ps: it’s a fabulous roadster but I cannot wait to replace it with an even more fabulous one ;))

Daily Roundup Preview: 14 September
Posts from 13 Sep 09:21 GMT to 14 Sep 20:51 GMT
Votes as of 14 Sep 20:52 GMT

Go here to see today's full Roundtable Roundup!

Top 10 Total Positive Votes

Author /
Votes /
Time (GMT)
Content Preview
juanmedina
55 | Link ➤

14 Sep 1:22
{no text}
Right_Said_Fred
55 | Link ➤

13 Sep 12:14
AudubonB didn’t forbid us from posting how much our TSLA holdings are worth, he gave an advice. A strong one. And I fully understand his wish to look out for us, for our well-being.

Personally I have no problems with people disclosing those numbers. In fact, I regularly do that myself in the ‘optio...
Lycanthrope
47 | Link ➤

13 Sep 9:58
Breaking news: Tesla investor discusses Tesla investments on Tesla investments forum

It's just money dude, I have no problem disclosing it, I'm not hiding it from the tax-man.

You don't want to talk about yours, fine, who cares?
emerson06
45 | Link ➤

14 Sep 8:50
Increased EV incentives in Sweden: 70k SEK ($8000) if you buy a new EV. Up from $6800.
Unpilot
40 | Link ➤

13 Sep 13:06
My method is a pretty complex system filled with tons of charts and lines and stuff.
However to clean it up for the unwashed among us it works like this....

First I buy some when ever I have extra money...Then I don't sell.
Later when I have more extra money I buy more....here is the key part...I d...
dl003
38 | Link ➤

14 Sep 14:56
TSLA buying TikTok is the only catalyst we need for 600+.
jhm
37 | Link ➤

14 Sep 14:03
A few points about a million mile drive train.

There is international trade in used vehicles. Many developing countries import more used vehicles than they import or build new.

The economics of refurbishing or repurposing are much better in countries with low low costs than in more affluent coun...
Lycanthrope
37 | Link ➤

13 Sep 12:13
I've an open invitation for any forum members to share some beers, if and when they pass Brussels. Indeed already met up with some folks from this forum and Twitter in recent years.
ggr
36 | Link ➤

14 Sep 17:56
Fantastic twitter thread this morning from someone I've never heard of. Basically he says that Tesla/Musk are running multiple feedback loops that improve the products and the company, that are extremely hard to analyze using traditional valuation metrics. Highly recommend reading it.
https://twitte...
Lycanthrope
36 | Link ➤

14 Sep 9:40
EU about to announce stricter emission, etc:

Sorry it's a Bloomberg link: New EU Climate Plan Brings End of the Combustion Engine Closer

New EU Climate Plan Brings End of the Combustion Engine Closer

14 September 2020, 08:53 CEST

European Commission to propose stricter 2030 emissions-cut
EU Gr...

Edit: fix post times.

Last edited:
Daily Roundup Preview: 14 September
Posts from 13 Sep 09:21 GMT to 14 Sep 20:51 GMT
Votes as of 14 Sep 20:52 GMT

Go here to see today's full Roundtable Roundup!

Top 10 Total Positive Votes

Author /
Votes /
Time (GMT)
Content Preview
juanmedina
55 | Link ➤

14 Sep 4:22
{no text}
Right_Said_Fred
55 | Link ➤

13 Sep 15:14
AudubonB didn’t forbid us from posting how much our TSLA holdings are worth, he gave an advice. A strong one. And I fully understand his wish to look out for us, for our well-being.

Personally I have no problems with people disclosing those numbers. In fact, I regularly do that myself in the ‘optio...
Lycanthrope
47 | Link ➤

13 Sep 12:58
Breaking news: Tesla investor discusses Tesla investments on Tesla investments forum

It's just money dude, I have no problem disclosing it, I'm not hiding it from the tax-man.

You don't want to talk about yours, fine, who cares?
emerson06
45 | Link ➤

14 Sep 11:50
Increased EV incentives in Sweden: 70k SEK ($8000) if you buy a new EV. Up from $6800.
Unpilot
40 | Link ➤

13 Sep 16:06
My method is a pretty complex system filled with tons of charts and lines and stuff.
However to clean it up for the unwashed among us it works like this....

First I buy some when ever I have extra money...Then I don't sell.
Later when I have more extra money I buy more....here is the key part...I d...
dl003
38 | Link ➤

14 Sep 17:56
TSLA buying TikTok is the only catalyst we need for 600+.
jhm
37 | Link ➤

14 Sep 17:03
A few points about a million mile drive train.

There is international trade in used vehicles. Many developing countries import more used vehicles than they import or build new.

The economics of refurbishing or repurposing are much better in countries with low low costs than in more affluent coun...
Lycanthrope
37 | Link ➤

13 Sep 15:13
I've an open invitation for any forum members to share some beers, if and when they pass Brussels. Indeed already met up with some folks from this forum and Twitter in recent years.
ggr
36 | Link ➤

14 Sep 20:56
Fantastic twitter thread this morning from someone I've never heard of. Basically he says that Tesla/Musk are running multiple feedback loops that improve the products and the company, that are extremely hard to analyze using traditional valuation metrics. Highly recommend reading it.
https://twitte...
Lycanthrope
36 | Link ➤

14 Sep 12:40
EU about to announce stricter emission, etc:

Sorry it's a Bloomberg link: New EU Climate Plan Brings End of the Combustion Engine Closer

New EU Climate Plan Brings End of the Combustion Engine Closer

14 September 2020, 08:53 CEST

European Commission to propose stricter 2030 emissions-cut
EU Gr...

@Lycanthrope is very popular today! The winner every day covers first round!!

I’m happy TSLA is getting back on track with regards to the share price, but still, can’t help but feel like this will be short lived.
The election is (and always has been) a big concern of mine. I wonder how low we will see TSLA come a couple of months when FUD hits the entire market. o_O

Statistical analysis shows that Presidential elections are a big nothing burger in terms of the stock market. Yes, the financial media will go on and on about the potential impacts but who can blame them? They need something to talk about to act like they are worth listening to.:rolleyes:

Don't try to outsmart the market - it has been here a lot longer than any of us.

You keep saying "options" when you mean long calls. They are not the same thing, except when they are. Your statements are mostly wrong when applied to short puts. And, given that you're talking to somebody inexperienced, completely confusing and misleading.

"Completely confusing and misleading" is a bit hyperbolic, isn't it? Someone inexperienced will probably only know about buying calls, just like someone new to stocks will know about buying shares.

Shorting is not intuitive, nor are buying puts. If they know enough about shorting calls and puts, they're plenty knowledgeable to put the rest of the post in context.

Statistical analysis shows that Presidential elections are a big nothing burger in terms of the stock market. Yes, the financial media will go on and on about the potential impacts but who can blame them? They need something to talk about to act like they are worth listening to.:rolleyes:

Don't try to outsmart the market - it has been here a lot longer than any of us.
Oh believe me...this is why I’m strictly a HODL investor! :D
But, that’s encouraging news! I’ve never held so much money in company stock, let alone HAD so much money to my name (carried so much student loan debt and working to build my savings), through an election season.

Reactions: gabeincal