Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But having sold covered calls during this time will have limited your loss by the amount of call premiums.
I think it depends on the person. Having sold the covered calls then watch the SP rocket up caused me anxiety that the price will continue to rise above my strike and triggered a panic buy back of my call, thus inducing a loss. My conclusion (for me) is that the small premiums are not worthwhile , except for a bit of fun (e.g. two weeks out CC strike price at 90%-100% above current SP when premium is enough to buy one or two more shares (for a small number of CC contracts.) If TSLA doubles in two weeks then I am not crying for losing my shares.

Is anyone else really annoyed that after the IOS14 update, the stock widget app no longer shows the real-time prices? So now I have to tap to launch the stocks app, and then when you swipe up to close out of it, you’re back on the widgets screen and have to swipe back to the right to go back to your Home Screen. Need more TSLA Investors to be beta testers!

Is anyone else really annoyed that after the IOS14 update, the stock widget app no longer shows the real-time prices? So now I have to tap to launch the stocks app, and then when you swipe up to close out of it, you’re back on the widgets screen and have to swipe back to the right to go back to your Home Screen. Need more TSLA Investors to be beta testers!

You’re welcome...

5BADB8D4-E60C-46F9-B8DD-CDBE3E83E468.jpeg

While we are on the topic of covered calls, I have a 1x2 ratio spread for Jan 21 at 600 and 800 strike. That is I have long 600 and twice as many short 800 calls.

This position nets you ~$8 (800) in cash per contract. This is effectively like selling a call at 1000, but between 600 and 800, you get additional deltas.

This is a twist on selling covered calls, which gives you an additional kick if the stock is below the effective strike (1000) and above your long call (600) at expiry. As always, it may or may not be the best idea to hold these until expiry.

The key here is there's pretty high skew ( options father out have higher IVs) and this is a way to profit from it.

Here's an example of what the overlay does to your long stock position.

As always, selling calls is risky. Not advice!

Screenshot_20200918-214823.png

Last edited:
I tried that too but the quotes don’t update in real-time like before! Us TSLA addicts need to know every price changes!

Oh snap! I did that change near market close and was glued to ThinkorSwim all day so didn’t notice the lack of real time. I’m sure it’s a bug that’ll be fixed soon. Apple really really likes to include bugs in final gold master releases as of late. Sigh.

Daily Roundup Preview: 18 September
Posts from 17 Sep 14:12 GMT to 19 Sep 02:07 GMT
Votes as of 19 Sep 02:11 GMT

Go here to see today's full Roundtable Roundup!

Top 25 Informative + Helpful

Author /
Votes /
Time (GMT)
Content Preview
gabeincal
65 | Link ➤

18 Sep 1:19
Fremont flyover as requested. Some notes:

LOTS of cleaning up going on, shuttles are picking up what looked like line workers at the Kato buildings - I sense that the line might be running..
Everything is being tidied up for Sept 22.
LOTS of logistics activity going on at the Fremont factory. A lot...
JBRR
52 | Link ➤

18 Sep 8:06
*TESLA BATTERY USED FOR FIRST TIME TO BALANCE U.K. POWER GRID
JBRR
38 | Link ➤

18 Sep 6:14
Tesla Wins Case Against Former Employee Accused Of Hacking, Transferring Data
Remster32
33 | Link ➤

18 Sep 3:29
Wedbush raises their price target from $380 to $475. Dan Ives is forecasting 130K deliveries for Q3 and 470k for FY20.
jw934
33 | Link ➤

17 Sep 20:41
Karen just confirmed the huge cell published by electrek.co is indeed from Tesla.
https://twitter.com/enn_nafnlaus/status/1306692732799328263?s=20
scaesare
33 | Link ➤

17 Sep 14:24
So... using a rough example pack dimension of 4'x8' (~1248x2496mm):

21mm diameter cells-

Triangular Pattern
Maximum number of circles with the triangular pattern inside the 1248 x 2496 rectangle is: 8015

As a 21mm cell has an area of 10.5^2 x 3.14 = 346.2mm^2, that means 8015 cells cover 2,774,67...
gluu
31 | Link ➤

18 Sep 4:10
I enjoy following TSLAQ because many of its members are professionals that have access to data that retail does not. Occasionally, they will post some of this data but interpret it incorrectly because they are not tuned into what Tesla is working on as the bulls are. Ironically, they often boost my ...
Nurkbonis
30 | Link ➤

18 Sep 18:50
Green found some new clues in the firmware.

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1307027874969530369?s=21

"I find it sort of interesting that 2020.36.11 adds new s/x battery pack (id 94, capacity unknown), new front permanent magnet motor for the same and then model3 also gets a new front/back ...
ZeApelido
29 | Link ➤

17 Sep 17:44
Battery production export from region in Japan that supplies S/X dropped in half in August from July (previous drop presumably Covid related).
avoigt
26 | Link ➤

18 Sep 10:35
The problem is the ID.3 disappoint in major German (Auto Motor Sport & Auto Bild) tests not only with quality and material e.g. cheap plastic but also with range, not to mention charging infrastructure and costs.

The ID.4 has the same technology and because of its form factor will not be better in ...
jacobkbhs
25 | Link ➤

17 Sep 21:52
Piper Sandler Raises TSLA Price Target to $515

Piper Sandler raises price target
willow_hiller
24 | Link ➤

18 Sep 17:05
The owner of the site has been known to compare their IP address log timestamps to the times and rough locations of vocal Tesla proponents in order to find and publish their real names and addresses.

And then they hide behind a 501c3 charity meant to give computers to disabled children while spewin...
Beltsbear
24 | Link ➤

18 Sep 16:25
SAFETY TIP:
The current elec-drek article links to plainsite.com for legal papers. DO NOT GO THERE. You may consider blocking plainsite.com in your router. It's that bad.
Artful Dodger
24 | Link ➤

18 Sep 16:26
https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20200918/pdf/44mrws13fml7c0.pdf

Trading Halt

Pieemont Lithium Limited (ASX: PLL) requests an immediate voluntary trading halt to the Company's securities, pending a response to an ASX price and volume query.

The Company requests that the trading halt remain until the...
chiller
23 | Link ➤

18 Sep 0:08
fwiw I made a max pain script that runs every hour. Will be interesting to see how it evolves tomorrow during the trading hours. The output can be seen here: http://home.pusen.org/stocks/maxpain
Todesbuckler
20 | Link ➤

18 Sep 6:24
China August EV sales by ev-sales blog are online.

#1 – Tesla Model 3

Looking at the manufacturers ranking, BYD (15%) is still in the leadership, but the #2 Tesla (13%), and especially the rising #3 SAIC (13%, up 1%) are looking to catch it soon.

Link: EV Sales: China August 2020
EinSV
18 | Link ➤

18 Sep 17:51
With one minor exception, the judge disagrees with you.

He threw out Tripp's counterclaims, finding that Tripp couldn't prove that Elon/Tesla's statements were false:

"Tripp cannot show actual malice. Indeed, the Court finds he cannot even meet the lower bar of falsity."

"The gist of the First Ch...
Artful Dodger
18 | Link ➤

18 Sep 13:31
Here's today's Tech chart as of 09:30 AM
mikevbf
17 | Link ➤

18 Sep 16:16
Looks like they might not resume trading until 9/22 pending some kind of announcement

https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20200918/pdf/44mrws13fml7c0.pdf
Curt Renz
17 | Link ➤

18 Sep 1:46
It has long been called Triple Witching Day, a major quarterly expiration of stock index futures, stock index options, and individual stock options. It occurs on the third Friday of the last month of a quarter. It's a clever reference to the witches of mythology and literature, which often came in t...
LN1_Casey
16 | Link ➤

18 Sep 16:28
https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nvd.131279/gov.uscourts.nvd.131279.217.0_2.pdf

For those who want to read the actual court decision from the Tripp suit.
Chunky Jr.
16 | Link ➤

17 Sep 21:52
https://twitter.com/TeslaPodcast/status/1306709556790259713

Piper Sandler's Alex Potter has increased his price target on $TSLA from $480 to $515.

From the referenced article:

Potter calls Tesla Energy "the topic everyone tries to avoid" due to the lack of inclusion of the business line in many a...
Todesbuckler
16 | Link ➤

17 Sep 15:40
I created a crude and conservative model until 2023 with an expected share price of 700 Dollar in 2023 based on a PEG of 1 or alternatively a 400-800 Dollar share price based on a PE of 30-60. Please be aware that I view my assumptions as cautious biased towards smaller growth in revenues and margin...
Singuy
15 | Link ➤

18 Sep 3:54
Wow, very good documentary on the rise of Netflix(ironically streaming on Amazon Prime). I didn't know that blockbuster was on the brinks of taking Netflix out with BB Total Access. It was a time when Blockbuster cannibalized itself to get to that point until a change in leadership decided to "make ...
MP3Mike
13 | Link ➤

18 Sep 14:10
You are correct, the news articles are wrong. Tesla hasn't won the case, they won most of the motions they filed. (And Tripp lost most of the motions he filed.) But the actual trial hasn't even started yet.

Has anyone modeled what margin will be on Semi and how much it could contribute to earnings?

"Tesla Battery Day Reveal is Key for Semi Truck Success" | Cleanerwatt (10:59)

That video does not any any way discus modeling margin or earnings. It does somewhat discuss The Semi and battery day but only in a hand wavy "I believe we will see news on battery day" sort of way.

Usually the info that is actually announced on these Tesla reveal days ends up underwhelming causing the stock price to drop. Even last November’s cyber truck reveal had a big price drop following (cause it was so weird initially).

However battery day feels like it’ll be different. Flying under the radar is Elon’s comment in Berlin that they’ll be announcing a new Model Y architecture. Add in new cells, new battery architecture, manufacturing, raw material lockups. It is going to be quite the day.

Stock could still drop Wednesday but I expect it’ll be up from here in a month.

The analysts with low price targets always claim Tesla events were disappointing because they need the share price to drop.

Here's a thing. Today I went to show my daughter my new Model 3. She's a chef in a local cafe so I went after the busy period. She came out of the kitchen with 2 other young girls who worked there, and an old bloke who works front of house. My daughter sat in the passenger seat and of course I did the fart thing. She thought it was hilarious and she tried out the other fart variations. She then opened the glove box by pressing the screen. I showed her the beach buggy game and the romantic mode and then put on the karaoke and she and her 2 colleagues sang along and danced (in a Liverpool suburb street) to Sweet Caroline. I video'd it. I then showed them the frunk. The old bloke looked confused and asked where does the oil go in :))). All in all, they were mesmerised. They had never seen anything like this.
Later I put the video of the singing on Facebook and my daughter commented "Dad, I want this car for Christmas!".

Folks, we have 3 new young people converted to Tesla. They witnessed for the first time the future of cars. (I think the old bloke was a bit confused). This is the power of Tesla.

Never driven...?!

Would you mind posting some examples? I feel this would be very welcome by option newbies like myself! Appreciate it in advance!

I already buy far out options, like Jan, Mar, and Jun ‘21 but I’m more interested in the weeklies when we’re trading sideways - whenever that will be :D

Here, go through this thread. Sell covered calls until exercises, then sell cash-covered puts until exercised, rinse-repeat.

Applying options strategy 'the wheel' to TSLA

Risks - big move up when you have covered calls, meaning you miss out on the gains had you held the stock. Big downward move when you've sold puts means you buy the shares at a higher price than market - this I don't consider a risk, it's the same impact as holding common shares, you just wait for it to come back into the same trading range (or sell the shares for cheap LEAPS if the dip is that big).