Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean like how Big Oil, Big Auto, etc, and the mainstream media teamed up to deny climate science for over a half a century, bringing the health of the planet and its inhabitants to an existential cliff (or off the cliff)?

Everybody claims they've "got the science and the facts" nowadays (the more convincing ones even have slick graphs and charts). Most everybody on the interwebs and mainstream media (including this forum) believe they see the world wholly and see it clear. The problem today with social media is that the message is no longer tightly controlled/spun by 5-6 entities, as in the past--that's why it feels like we live in a "post truth" world now.
Truth went out the window once news became a profit centre rather than a public service. That happened a long, long time ago.

Last Tuesday, QQQ was 280, today it's 265, a -4.7% drop.
I see TSLA stock price as the product of different forces. The 2 major forces I have in mind right now is the deep macro correction (started all the way back on 9/3) that should have sunk TSLA 8%, considering its beta. Yet, we're up 18.6%. So, there's obviously some major short term speculation/anticipation going on that is holding us up. Normally we'd expect most of them to get unwound as TSLA approaches the upper BB on B Day. Now, we're hugging the mid BB but the speculators remain. Do you expect them to behave the same way as they would otherwise after B Day (sell the news)?
I have no idea what influence you imagine Bollinger Bands have on TSLA or anything else. I don't expect speculators to necessarily sell the news, although some will. The stupidest speculators disappeared (at least temporarily) today as their stop losses were taken out on the sudden drop -- you might say they caused or at least enhanced the drop.

By the way, there has been no deep macro correction. We continue to flirt with all time highs everywhere. If we do see a deep macro correction you'll notice it for sure. Everything you own will be down at least 10%, volatile high flyers more like 20%, and derivatives even more. What we've seen lately is just random fluctuation.

So, my ZM is up 6.78% today (at least the stock is, my calls are up 25%). My FSLY stock is up 10.4%, my calls are up 32%. ARKK and ARKW are up, ARKQ is down. My tiny positions in DDOG and CRWD are up 2.9% and 5.1% respectively. I'm just not seeing anything that looks like a correction. TSLA is the least volatile of my holdings it seems.

• Informative
Reactions: dl003
I did Portland to Denver and back in August. The Dalles and Baker City were both down on the way back. Did Boise to Portland on 1 charge in my model Y. Good times.

I guess I shouldn't have said "can't", because of course clever people can always figure it out. In the REALLY bad old days, people road tripping in their Roadster would stop at campgrounds to use their 50amp plug, or where possible - use the Roadster Owner built "roadster network" (there are still owners to this day that maintain a network of chargers specifically for Roadsters).

Personally, I did the Canadian border to Mexican border trip back in 2013. I had Roadster specific chargers all along that route that I made use of, helpfully provided by the rest of the Roadster community.

So yes, it can be done. And I think you'd agree with no arm twisting that either down superchargers (something I've never experienced - yay) or non-existent superchargers make it, at best, difficult for most people to road trip through those areas.

Asking for dislikes really, but here we go...

If this is all science and therefore evidence-based, and such evidence shows that the biggest contributor to climate change is animal ag, how many of those liking or loving the previous post have or intending to adopt a vegan lifestyle?

Not exact numbers, but something like 300 million year deposits of fossil fuels are being used up in 300 years. So 1 million times the rate. It's worse as most of the coal was deposited because nothing could decompost it at that time.

Around the world, plants grow, absorbing CO2 and are eaten, burnt or deposited (peat, soil, deep sea sinking, permafrost).

Plants are eaten by insects, mammals and other oxygen breathing organisms (fungi and bacteria), I believe bacteria produces most of the methane (correct me if wrong) whether it's inside or outside of a cow (insect?).

If plants grow on a piece of land - they are eaten by something eventually (or deposited in soil). Does it matter to global warming if it is eaten by a cow or a slug? Perhaps it does, perhaps warm hosts are somehow worse.

This methane eventually becomes CO2 and the cycle repeats. What is different now is that for a short time humans have mined long-lost carbon and rapidly burnt it or just leaked the methane through leaky pipes.

So I suggest that plants and animals are in some kind of kind of equilibrium over a long enough period of time, but mining huge amounts of one-off carbon isn't.

Perhaps the best thing we can do is grow soil, using permaculture, no-till and other techniques to allow fungi to deposit carbon. This might be easier to do on a pasture than on cropland. Intensive chemical agriculture probably prevents soil building.

Once human-liberated methane and CO2 lead to a greenhouse effect, the permafrost carbon deposits get released (mostly as methane, look at siberian holes lakes that turned flat permafrost into undulating landscape destroying buildings and roads) and it gets worse. Snow covers less of the poles. Less snow and more solar absorption makes it worse still. Deep sea methane as well.

In my opinion, the most important elements include:-

1) Stop digging the hole (mining carbon). End fossil fuel extraction.
2) Work on reversing atmospheric carbon, probably by building soils and temporarily creating a sink of carbon in trees.

Moderator: last post on climate change

Bloomberg - 3 hours ago: Rivian Faces Ban From Michigan Car Dealers in Direct-Sales Fight

Excerpt:

Michigan auto dealers are trying to block startup electric carmakers including Rivian Automotive Inc. and Lucid Motors Inc. from following in Tesla Inc.’s footsteps by selling vehicles directly to consumers and servicing them in the state.

A bill introduced in the Michigan legislature last week would block any manufacturer other than Tesla from selling cars to customers without a dealer as an intermediary and from owning and operating service and repair facilities. It could come up for a vote as soon as Tuesday, according to a Rivian official.

The 11-year-old company has raised about $6 billion from backers including Ford Motor Co. and Amazon.com Inc. It expects to begin production of its first two vehicles -- a battery-powered pickup and a sport-utility vehicle -- by mid-2021.

Yeah it’s sad. Oh well. Buy TSLA, buy Tesla products, hope for best, life is still pretty great all things considered.
I am buying every single Tesla product that is released. We are so lucky to be living in the same era as Elon Musk. We can adopt the change and help to make this World a better place.
Holding my shares till 2030. Selling everything when he announces his retirement.

Looks like Tesla have done a makeover on their Investor Relations pages: Investor Relations | Tesla Investor Relations

Still had the old look earlier today.
I like their new Borg based page numbering system
upload_2020-9-21_21-29-35.png

upload_2020-9-21_21-31-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-21_21-31-36.png
    upload_2020-9-21_21-31-36.png
    155.1 KB · Views: 38
I have no idea what influence you imagine Bollinger Bands have on TSLA or anything else. I don't expect speculators to necessarily sell the news, although some will. The stupidest speculators disappeared (at least temporarily) today as their stop losses were taken out on the sudden drop -- you might say they caused or at least enhanced the drop.

By the way, there has been no deep macro correction. We continue to flirt with all time highs everywhere. If we do see a deep macro correction you'll notice it for sure. Everything you own will be down at least 10%, volatile high flyers more like 20%, and derivatives even more. What we've seen lately is just random fluctuation.

So, my ZM is up 6.78% today (at least the stock is, my calls are up 25%). My FSLY stock is up 10.4%, my calls are up 32%. ARKK and ARKW are up, ARKQ is down. My tiny positions in DDOG and CRWD are up 2.9% and 5.1% respectively. I'm just not seeing anything that looks like a correction. TSLA is the least volatile of my holdings it seems.

I'm not a charts guy but the answer to that seems to be "highly influential" if you've been watching Tesla for the past year. We very frequently bounce off technical indicators down to the dollar. I sure up leveraged a week+ ago on the 50DMA. PS we're about to golden cross on the MACD on battery day if we're green.

The macros are down >10% this month! that's huge. Cramer has explained that hedge funds are getting tons of offerings on IPO's which are free money, ie they buy snowflake on offer for 120/share, it opens at 240+. They had to sell all kinds of stocks within the nasdaq, sp500 etc so acquire the new IPO shares which are not yet in indexes, hence macros dropping. Fortunately a lot of the selling hasn't been on names like Tesla. It's not money moving out of the market, it's just out of indexes hence why macro's are down. Just caught up 60 pages over the weekend, didn't see any mention of this, people just commenting on how bad the macros are with no real reasoning? I say it's fine, bring on battery day, I'm not concerned about the macro environment.

Bloomberg - 3 hours ago: Rivian Faces Ban From Michigan Car Dealers in Direct-Sales Fight

Excerpt:

Michigan auto dealers are trying to block startup electric carmakers including Rivian Automotive Inc. and Lucid Motors Inc. from following in Tesla Inc.’s footsteps by selling vehicles directly to consumers and servicing them in the state.

A bill introduced in the Michigan legislature last week would block any manufacturer other than Tesla from selling cars to customers without a dealer as an intermediary and from owning and operating service and repair facilities. It could come up for a vote as soon as Tuesday, according to a Rivian official.

The 11-year-old company has raised about $6 billion from backers including Ford Motor Co. and Amazon.com Inc. It expects to begin production of its first two vehicles -- a battery-powered pickup and a sport-utility vehicle -- by mid-2021.
At least we may have allies in the fight now. I don't have any problems with Rivian or Workhorse. Especially with Rivian selling vehicles to Amazon, that may be a catalyst to them replacing that ageing USPS fleet (which, believe it or don't, were built by Northrop Grumman as a bone for a contract they lost). The postal fleet makes perfect sense to be electric!