Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if Tesla had to change the timeline on the Model S Plaid because of Lucid's announcement and their specs?

and some Laguna Seca times

times.JPG

Last edited:
Exactly. How and when does this new technology affect the actual products? That's what investors want to know.

And that's why the SP is down markedly after hours.
Tesla is faced with the difficult balancing act of disclosing a bunch of massive advancements, without spelling the implications for products out so clearly that a large fraction of potential customers delay their purchase of existing products.
They can't be too clear in terms of product roadmap or they will Osborne themselves out of existence.

If the analysts can't be bothered to do even a little bit of connecting the dots, that's on them entirely.

Well, I guess I should have seen this coming. Autonomy Day was the same, vague promises of a revolution in the future and the stock tanked 20% after.

We'll probably have to wait until Q3 delivery numbers to recover from this one.

If they keep doing _______ Day events in the future, I'll be buying puts the day before to hedge my permanent long position. Third time won't be the charm here.

We still haven't been shown why this presentation needed to be seen in person. I hope everyone there gets a factory tour.

This is a great point. Most of those in person are die hard fans so they are probably fine with this. I wonder if things changed in the last couple of days or over the weekend. Maybe they were planning to demo some things but did not because of some weird reasons, possibly related to end of quarter osbourning? Or they were afraid to reveal too much?

It was still a great presentation essentially cementing Tesla's position as the only innovation leader for sustainable transportation and energy. I'm also surprised there was no mention of the million mile battery. I mean I understand why it's not important in the grand scheme of things but to the casual investor it seemed like it was very important to address that.

People will say Elon's comment about valuation was not needed but it's clear that the whole company is fully appreciative of the challenge to move the world to clean energy. I thought it was refreshing to hear honest words from some of his managers and you could tell they really enjoy working for him. Proud to be invested in this company

I was going to say we might drop significantly and/or trade in a range but Q3 P&D will be on us before we absorb all of the battery day stuff.

Exactly. How and when does this new technology affect the actual products? That's what investors want to know.

And that's why the SP is down markedly after hours.

Are you blind? Maximum range increase of 54% in same size vehicle - see the 520+ mile model S. And a 56% reduction is cost per KWH for the battery, meaning a cost reduction for vehicles, or an increase in range for the same price (Tesla will take advantage in both ways)

Now we know why Elon canned the SR model Y: The current LR model Y will be the "SR" in future.

Last edited:
Seriously. Just look at total Model S/X production over the years:

2016: 76,243
2017: 101,250
2018: 99,417
2019: 66,771

That's more than 35% off the peak production. That's 35% FEWER Models S & X sold last year than 2017.

EDIT: This means Tesla scales production to make demand, not that demand exceeds production capacity.
The reason S and X sales were that high is that no other electric car existed with 200 miles of range. People were stretching Honda Accord budgets to buy an S so they got an electric car. The model 3 now has those sales. Most of them are high end model 3’s with tons of margin.

A $60k model S would have more sales in the taxi / hired car market until FSD kills it, but I don’t think Tesla will do it.

I love Elon, but OMG he's hilarious (-y poor) as a presenter! Like, he stayed up last night after a few beers and planned his speech. I'm not knocking it - better the results than fancy presentations, it's just hilarious, that's all!

What I love is Elon doesn't tell you what he thinks you want to hear - he unapologetically just tells you how it is. A rare concept these days, the unvarnished truth is.

I don't think he will ever measure up to Trevor Milton! /s

I believe Wall Street's response can be summed up with that one analyst's question. "How will this increase profits?". That's 100% of what they understand. They don't understand about a sustainable future, they only understand this quarter's profits. Since Battery Day did not increase this quarter's profits, WS was not interested and pushed the stock down. Basically a good buying opportunity if you have any dry powder.