Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After watching a bunch of follow up videos on battery day and having a bit more time to think about the updates - doesn't the tabless electrode now seem so obvious that all previous batteries sound stupid. There is just so much to be gained from amending a relatively simple manufacturing technique rather than all the time, experimentation, supply chain consequences, etc. required to muck about with cell chemistry changes.

The whole purpose of a battery is to shift electrons from one electrode to another in a process that creates heat as a side product - and up until now every battery maker has decided to hinder this process by forcing all the electrons to go through a tiny funnel and then travel a long distance through the electrode - constricting electron flow and heat removal while increasing heat generation.

The implementation, which is very clever, surely should have been figured out by the traditional battery makers previously. Ultimately it is just a relatively minor change to the way the electrode backing is cut and rolled. Instead of making this change people have poured billions into expensive and inefficient thermal management systems to try and solve the heat issue.

It's got to be the brilliant people and culture at Tesla that allowed them to figure out a game changing tech like this when it should have been staring all the professional battery makers in the face.

I think the point is that indeed it's not a new concept, it's already used on larger batteries, but Tesla are the first to be able to make it work with this form-factor = they are way ahead in engineering capability compared to the rest.

Hey, stop being mean to us Californians. Yes, there are a few dumb idiots and morons who tried to keep the factory shut for longer than necessary. But the world is full of idiots and morons. Other countries and states will have their own different types of these creatures- they are not unique to CA.

No, Musk and his companies will not leave CA for good. By and large, it has been a great relationship- why spoil a good thing?
OT, We have lived in Southern California for over 40 years Camelot we call it I am a Retired CFO of a company that did business in the western US including Hawaii and Alaska. CA is by far the toughest place to do business in and forget about trying to build or manufacture anything.
We love it here by the beach and the kids received great UC educations but if my wife and I were leaving NY today we would probably make the final stop Texas

"Not a Tequila" then.
If Austintatiously made, call it Texlaquilla perhaps?

USPTO has ruled in favor of Consejo Regulador del Tequila that "Tequila" as a certification mark.

It has ruled against TEQUILUSA and TEQUOINIAC. The prefix TEQUIL makes in instant association with Tequila.

The newly enacted USMCA trade agreement also protects "Tequila" much like Champagne and Cognac.

USPTO has not ruled against someone using the suffix "quila" yet. So there is that.

Mexico’s Tequila board moves to stop Tequila-like marks - a good reminder that it’s agave if it’s not certified. | Libation Law Blog

You know that I am very well aware of that. Time will tell.

I know the pure-breed HODLers are sceptical, but you cannot deny that in my trading account going from $3500 this time last year to over $1m would not be possible with a HODL strategy. Imagine the best-case scenario, I could have bought 20 $TSLA with that money in June 2019, they would now be 100 shares and valued at $40,500 = pretty good, in fact amazing compared to the wider market, but...

I agree that for those with the means, accumulating vast amounts of common stock and sitting on it like Smaug, will yield great results, and with less stress.

But those LEAPS I'm holding in my trading account will turn into >2000 shares in mid 2022, not 100...

Note that in parallel with this, I have been accumulating in my HODL account, I increased my number of shares by roughly 15% this year.

I know the pure-breed HODLers are sceptical, but you cannot deny that in my trading account going from $3500 this time last year to over $1m would not be possible with a HODL strategy. Imagine the best-case scenario, I could have bought 20 $TSLA with that money in June 2019, they would now we 100 shares and valued at $40,500 = pretty good, in fact amazing compared to the wider market, but...

I agree that for those with the means, accumulating vast amounts of common stock and sitting on it like Smaug, will yield great results, and with less stress.

But those LEAPS I'm holding in my trading account will turn into >2000 shares in mid 2022, not 100...

Agreed.

My long term TSLA shares will eventually buy a home in the mountains and cars for my friends.
My trading account will pay for Tesla products in the mean time.

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 11.54.15 AM.png

Last edited:
"Not a Tequila" then.
If Austintatiously made, call it Texlaquilla perhaps?
To keep this On Topic, a discussion is in order regarding what is entailed for an extant corporation to obtain the necessary licenses to distill spirits. It may be fairly straightforward, I don’t know. Except in California.:rolleyes:

Also, the name “Teslaquila” oughtn’t be a problem if it’s not sold in Mexico, as I’m going to venture that the US and Mexico, regardless of NAFTA/USMCA, haven’t reciprocal Domaine name restrictions. In other words, probably little problem if you want to set up your own Kentucky Bourbon distillery in Jalisco - go for it! Just don’t try to export it north.

On Edit: @RobStark shot down all THAT while I was typing.
Well, almost all of it.

Last edited:
I know the pure-breed HODLers are sceptical, but you cannot deny that in my trading account going from $3500 this time last year to over $1m would not be possible with a HODL strategy. Imagine the best-case scenario, I could have bought 20 $TSLA with that money in June 2019, they would now be 100 shares and valued at $40,500 = pretty good, in fact amazing compared to the wider market, but...

Note that in parallel with this, I have been accumulating in my HODL account, I increased my number of shares by roughly 15% this year.
There is a big problem with your premise. HODL by definition means LONG TERM investing. Just because a lottery ticket came in for you in a very short period of time in one of the biggest bull stocks of a century, doesn't mean you are a genius. You are looking at a short term lucky trade and comparing it to HODL over the same (short) time period. Makes no sense. As I have mentioned, my words of advice to you are not intended in any way to criticize you. I have seen this movie several times (including one I starred in!). I too, got very lucky twice. Once when and had a a couple of hundred thousand drop in my lap (I had almost nothing, before that). The second time I got lucky was learning these lessons (that I am trying to convey to you) before I gave it all back. I came close. GLTY.

The effect of the change you make back in time would negate your need to go back in time in the now/new future. This would probably cause you to turn inside out of your butthole the moment you do it.

I think about the options strategy and always end up saying, "why bother with that. Just remember the lotto numbers for a big jackpot"

Another thing about those who say Tesla won't be able to achieve what they presented - JB left and his reasoning that he gave last year at the Shareholders meeting was that he had accomplished all he could there. So it's obvious that Tesla has been working on this new pathway for several years now. They know how to scale with a better product and JB felt satisfied enough to walk away. :)

I disagreed because JB went into the battery recycling business, which Tesla itself said they were going to get into. So, JB could have stayed on at Tesla to do that.

Of course, it could be that JB leaving to do recycling is what put the bug in Musk's brain that Tesla should do its own recycling.