Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone here believes Elon may ask the board to delay his compensation package for this third trench? Is it even allowed? I bring this up because not only does Musk not need it currently but also it's becoming a huge drag on financials since valuation increased 10x but revenue did not increase 10x during similar time.
A lot of people think the 'drag' on the valuation is based on what they see as his payday. This is not correct. The payout has been hedged and does not work in a straightforward manner. Yes, there could be an accounting for it, but it is not as big a deal as many people make it out to be.

A lot of people think the 'drag' on the valuation is based on what they see as his payday. This is not correct. The payout has been hedged and does not work in a straightforward manner. Yes, there could be an accounting for it, but it is not as big a deal as many people make it out to be.
As long as there's accounting for it, then it's locked and cannot be used for expansion correct?

Actually, the article states: "Nelson [CRFA analyst] is estimating $560 million for Q3 and $670 million in credits’ revenue in Q4." Not sure if this is true, but that's what's written in this piece.

This may be the most comprehensive, big-picture, pro-Tesla article I've ever read from CNBC--makes me think they just recently purchased a few million TSLA shares...

So like last quarter, this is around +4k profit per Tesla sold. Toyota still want to brag about having bigger delivery numbers about their new RAV4 phev?

How can anyone who has the money buy an expensive slow dirty smelly gas car over the smooth fast ride that is a Tesla?

When I see someone driving a BMW or Merc, I'm like, why on earth are you driving that flip phone?

TSLA will continue to grow and looking at the competition right now so so far behind, will continue to dominate.

ICE industry will continue to decline, merge, decline, merge some more, decline, and then merge into Last Man Standing Inc. that will just service the remaining ICE cars there, until it too disappears in a poof.

Some people want the opulence that such a car brings - although it has way too many buttons, you can see the seats are gorgeous, the switchgear in metal, etc., very fancy. I would also imagine that it's a silent as can be on the road with amazing ride quality. And the fancy interior lighting (I would like that in my Tesla, actually)...

Tesla doesn't offer this, they're not into luxury interiors, but it's a bit of a niche market anyway, a bit the same demographic as Porsche.

When that Merc was pulling out of the parking space, looked like it had rear-wheel steering, no? That's neat.

Some people want the opulence that such a car brings - although it has way too many buttons, you can see the seats are gorgeous, the switchgear in metal, etc., very fancy. I would also imagine that it's a silent as can be on the road with amazing ride quality. And the fancy interior lighting (I would like that in my Tesla, actually)...

Tesla doesn't offer this, they're not into luxury interiors, but it's a bit of a niche market anyway, a bit the same demographic as Porsche.

When that Merc was pulling out of the parking space, looked like it had rear-wheel steering, no? That's neat.

Good compromise is to buy a Model S/X and then pay a 3rd party to spruce up the interior, if you are into that kind of thing.

Anyone here believes Elon may ask the board to delay his compensation package for this third trench? Is it even allowed? I bring this up because not only does Musk not need it currently but also it's becoming a huge drag on financials since valuation increased 10x but revenue did not increase 10x during similar time.

In my understanding all his compensation is shares or share options, no cash. So I do not see how that is a drag on financials. They just issue some new shares to him, that means some dilution for shareholders, but no expense for the company. Am I wrong in this understanding ?

Reactions: MP3Mike
In my understanding all his compensation is shares or share options, no cash. So I do not see how that is a drag on financials. They just issue some new shares to him, that means some dilution for shareholders, but no expense for the company. Am I wrong in this understanding ?

GAAP financials show option and share compensation as expense. Yes, they are mixing balance sheet and P/L items, but that's been the rule for around 20 years now. They did it as a response to all those high flying dotcom stocks in 1990's. Old line companies that didn't issue stock options complained that tech growth companies were able to pay their employees less in expensed cash due to stock options and thus their financials looked better than they should (which is funny, because growth company financials look terrible however you slice it).

agree on autonomy...but
Tesla Autopilot gets 'moderate' drive assistance grade from European vehicle safety authority while Audi, BMW and Mercedes get top marks
the european vehicle safety authorities dont!

they rated Audi, BMW, and Mercedes higher...didn't see that one coming
To be fair we just got a RAV4 Prime and I must say It’s lane keeping and its dynamic cruise are much better than enhanced autopilot In my Model 3. Just today the Model 3 had three phantom braking events on particularly bad.

It is my understanding that Elon has to buy the shares (whichever will do by borrowing money from the bank like he does now, with the purchased shares as a collateral). The purchase price is way under the current stock price, so we suffer from the dilution but Tesla as a company will gain money.

(But what do I know.)

Not true, Mercedez Benz has it, according to NVIDIA Founder & CEO Jensen Huang who drives the new S-Class in this video with Lewis Hamilton (at 4:48 into the video):

Lots of NVIDIA tech in this car! Appearently over 30 million lines of codes and 100’s of software engineers worked on it!

But, it’s ICE so why bother buying this.

Lewis is big on EV’s and good to see people in his position promote them so much.

A man with that much cash in the bank can afford to own any car in the world and Hamilton owns quite a few. According to Autoblog, his garages is stuffed full of exotic cars like a Ferrari LaFerrari, a Pagani Zonda, a McLaren P1, and an original Shelby Cobra from the 1960s. But he tells Autoblog, “I don’t drive any of the cars that I own anymore. I only drive my (electric Mercedes) EQC.”

“Hamilton says he is doing his best to lead an environmentally friendly lifestyle. He is s vegan who insists on being transported to and from airports in electric vehicles. He has also sold his private jet aircraft.”

Lewis Hamilton Is Driving The Transition To Electric Cars

Some really nice aerial shots of Giga Berlin from today, courtesy of @gigafactory_4.
The rate of progress has honestly really surprised me; way beyond what I would have expected in Germany.

See this and this google photos album for regular updates - highly recommended!
IMG_5400.jpg
IMG_5360.jpg
IMG_5342.jpg

Any thoughts on moving a margin account from E*TRADE to IBKR? Their margin interest is about 80% less than the former and that itself is a huge selling point of course.

Not sure about ETrade, but I tried moving from Schwab to IBKR earlier this year - IBKR kept saying there is a problem on Schwab side, Schwab saying there is a problem on IBKR side. I had opened positions w/ some cash to expedite the process, wasn't of any help (*).

Meantime I found out more about the IBKR platform etc. It is great for pro traders who trade all kinds of instruments in multiple countries, and it charges only 2% on margin loans. Their trade execution seems more sophisticated too. I also liked the fact that it is the last broker that is independent (vs affiliated w/ one of the mega banks).

HOWEVER, as I hold moslty TSLA (90%), I got margin call warnings waaay too early (forgot the details, but way earlier than at Schwab with similar TSLA concentration). That's because IBKR uses a special algo to determine the volatility of your holdings, and of course with TSLA it doesn't help.

Their support is only via their robot, the other voice I wasn't ever able to reach. At Schwab however you do get personal assistance that can be escalated if need be. Unfortunately their margin loans are at 8%.
In the end I decided not to bother moving, keeping the IBKR as a test bed to compare prices.

(*) FWIW I recall reading somewhere here one member getting a large friendly cash loan in order to move accounts without fuss.

Last edited: