Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting coincidence, I just heard on Australian morning TV news that used car prices are up 22% YoY (sunrise.com.au) here.

I think the same in UK (some time ago).

if you're not sure of economy, job etc and your car dies, you get a cheap one.

The person selling the cheap one doesn't get new, only newer used one.

Some used cars available due to need to sell or choosing to go from 2 to 1 car.

Murmurings of bans on ICE vehicles in city centres, taxes.

Surely you only buy a new petrol/diesel if you're really confident.

Many people are uncertain of what KIND of car to get next. Diesel isn't popular. Small petrols with turbos aren't reliable.

Small automatics aren't reliable, as people age, this becomes more popular - so something like the Zoe is ideal for older/newly passed test, low mileage drivers.

TSLA has been pulling back from the day's high along with the macro market. However, AAPL shares have performed especially well today, and continue to be holding up fairly well into the close on high volume. I suspect that some traders have been temporarily withdrawing their money from Tesla and others to play the Apple Event tomorrow.

Last edited:
LOL, Karen's topic about how the Overlord didn't steal his CEO position made the first news story on Apple Stock news.

upload_2020-10-12_13-0-48.png

Not investment grade. Still another excellent year for that one, if not more.
À propos this and the earlier upgrade posts: has anyone easily accessible data showing the evolution of S&P's rating of Tesla debt? Even more interesting would be that trend charted against stock price. Moody's & Fitch's rating changes also would be good.

TSLA has been pulling back from the day's high along with the macro market. However, AAPL shares have performed especially well today, and continue to be holding up fairly well into the close on high volume. I suspect that some traders have been temporarily withdrawing their money from Tesla and others to play the Apple Event tomorrow.

No doubt. AAPL’s market cap increased almost a third of a TSLA today; ~$130B.

Even with money flowing out, though, there were still enough buyers to keep it respectable. It’ll be interesting to watch the relative volumes after we see our shiny new iPhones.

I know this post will fly by, but seeing this big run up in TSLA, if you have a lot of shares sitting in a regular or retirement trading account, there are some good bonuses for transferring shares to a new brokerage.

I just did this three times moving shares around from my main retirement account and one of my non-qualified trading account, scoring some sweet bonuses. Twice with Merrill Edge (one regular, one retirement account), and once with TDAmeritrade.

It's really easy to set up these accounts, and then initiate an account or straight share transfer (which does not require selling your shares).

The more you can transfer, the better the bonuses, of course: see: Best Brokerage Account Bonuses In October 2020 | Bankrate

Back from a week on vacation!

Weekly Roundup: week ending 10 October
Go here to see the weekly Roundtable Roundup with the top voted posts from last week (ending Saturday)!

Daily Roundup Preview: 11 October
Posts from 10 Oct 12:02 GMT to 11 Oct 23:54 GMT
Votes as of 12 Oct 19:42 GMT

Go here to see today's full Roundtable Roundup!

Top 25 Informative + Helpful

Author /
Votes /
Time (GMT)
Content Preview
c041v
54 | Link ➤

11 Oct 6:38
The video author's comments about the Mobile Batch plant are fairly correct. He's highlighted the poly silos for Admixtures. All fairly standard for concrete work. I don't foresee too many different types of aggregate bins, as concrete really only needs sand, Portland cement and a single size aggreg...
ZachF
46 | Link ➤

10 Oct 19:06
Some stats for ya...

I harvested out the data from this graph to mine 2017 auto production for North American factories:
How Tesla Stacks Up Against America’s Most Productive Car Factories

Here are the top North American factories in 2017:
628,108 Smyrna, TN (Nissan)
572,104 Aguascalientes, MX (Ni...
Artful Dodger
30 | Link ➤

11 Oct 13:53
"Impact of Counterfeit Shares on Stock Price"

Securities hocus pocus allows MMs and hedgies to create millions of counterfeit shares. All is explained in the "Citizens for Securities Reform" White Paper Counterfeiting Stock 2.0

Also available as a 45 page PDF with Appendices.

Best TSLA-related re...
Artful Dodger
28 | Link ➤

11 Oct 15:00
For example, there is this argument :

"How Pervasive Is This? - At any given point in time more than 100 emerging companies are under attack as described above. This is not to be confused with the day-to-day shorting that occurs in virtually every stock, which is purportedly about thirty percent of...
ZachF
26 | Link ➤

11 Oct 15:42
If we take these factory outputs and map them out, then add a Fremont at 600k and GF Austin at 2.2m, the landscape looks like this (area of circle is equal to production.

Yellow = factory outputs in 2017
Red = Tesla planned outputs

If GF Texas makes 2.2m per year that would equal what Michigan pro...
joh01652
21 | Link ➤

10 Oct 20:16
Thought I'd share this 2015 blog post on Naked Short Selling/Counterfeit Stock I came across today.

Illegal Naked Short Selling Appears to Lie at the Heart of an Extensive Stock Manipulation Scheme | Expert Financial Analysis and Reporting | Smith on Stocks

This is the most succinct and informati...
tinyrodent
20 | Link ➤

10 Oct 15:48
Texas factory update. Getting a lot busier. In addition to the usual massive earth moving and geopier operations, there is now continuous pumping of concrete, and a large crane is being assembled.
StarFoxisDown!
17 | Link ➤

11 Oct 17:52
As someone who works in this field of 3D Art in videogames......this is incredibly unnecessary. Also, since they're using a generic engine/rendering system that is built for a variety of games, the engine has a lot of overhead when it comes to minimum system requirements/specs
Green Pete
16 | Link ➤

11 Oct 20:02
Big auto in 2020: "scaling back production and partnering so we can eliminate product lines since we aren't selling much"

Tesla: "were buying more machines to make more stuff to sell"

Big box from vigel headed for freemont just photographed going south on 280 from SF
EV forever
16 | Link ➤

11 Oct 20:39
Long thread from Karen to rebut the claims that Elon did not found Tesla.

https://twitter.com/enn_nafnlaus/status/1315375076460691456?s=21

and a response from Musk himself
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1315390031851257856?s=21

Mod: Interesting twitter timeline, one rebuttal below has been a...
ZachF
16 | Link ➤

10 Oct 20:02
For those wondering, the largest auto plant in the world is Hyundai Ulsan, in South Korea, making ~1.5m units per year.
The largest in Europe is VW Wolfsburg with ~800k per year.
Boomer19
15 | Link ➤

11 Oct 17:52
yes, finally we have a write-up that goes into a little more detail about the methods used to finagle transactions, as far a single organization using multiple onshore/offshore companies/entities/LLCs/LPs to offload positions and/or transact with to “restart the clock”.

to me the key points are the...
Robocop
14 | Link ➤

10 Oct 14:29
Aspects of this have been discussed, but I was doing some research on VW and came across this: Volkswagen builds battery factory in Salzgitter - electrive.com Their Saltzgitter 'gigafactory'. Basically I dismiss all 'Tesla Killer' articles unless that company has a real commitment to a battery facto...
Artful Dodger
12 | Link ➤

11 Oct 7:10
Aug 12, 2020:
People here STILL do not understand what Tesla achieved with its $5B Cap raise on Sep 01-04, 2020.

Naked Short Sellers (mostly TSLA Market Makers and counterfeiting Brokers) were FORCED to purchase about 11.0M shares (equivalent to 2.2M pre-split) in order to maintain their client pos...
tinyrodent
12 | Link ➤

10 Oct 14:59
Berlin factory update - first windows installed in drive unit building! Amazing progress all over the site.
UncaNed
9 | Link ➤

11 Oct 17:46
PSA-
Idle chit-chat until 10:00...
Cannot be watched without joining them with a long tall cold one.
Around 1:10:00, discussion follows scenic vectors through Bitcoin and economics discussion countryside...
1:22:00 - general tech/societal discussions, tl/dr after 1:30:00 when it seemed to be getting...
ZachF
9 | Link ➤

10 Oct 20:50
If you take those 2017 production stats, and assume that the factory production increased/decreased the same percentage as sales did in it's owners' brand since 2017, you get 2020 production rates like this for the top factories (Except Tesla is 508k - 137k from China):

391,000 Peubla, MX (VW)
jbcarioca
8 | Link ➤

11 Oct 12:32
Keep in mind that during all iterations of Fremont pre-Tesla none were much vertically integrated. They did stamp many metal parts, but it was then a traditional plant, so was really assembly plus some stamping. High vertical integration does produce fewer vehicle counts than does assembly. Thus com...
Ameliorate
8 | Link ➤

10 Oct 18:33
Didn't see these later replies from Elon posted here -
From Tasha Keeney thread https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1314328552318341120
Knightshade
8 | Link ➤

10 Oct 19:55
Last word from the gigagrunt on twitter was GFN was maxxed around 7200 battery packs (cell constrained) a week going to Freemont for 3/Y, which would be just under 375,000 cars a year.... and best they could improve to (if orders shifted more to SRs than LRs) would be 8k a week or 416,000 a year.

S...
OrthoSurg
7 | Link ➤

11 Oct 1:40
I don’t know if this is good news for TSLA but there is a recall on Kona EV Hyundai Kona Electric Recalled over Potential Fire Danger for fires.

1 year ago I convinced my friend to buy a Model 3 instead of à Kona EV. Now he is probably happy he did the right choice.

the closest small SUVcompetitor...
Artful Dodger
6 | Link ➤

11 Oct 16:22
... and Fremont will bring GA5 online soon for Model Y assembly. And Panasonic is making a $100M capital investment at GF1 Nevada to add another battery cell line which will add 10% capacity over and above the existing 13 bty cell lines. That could take Tesla from 7,200 to 8,000 Model 3/Y packs per ...
ggr
6 | Link ➤

10 Oct 20:22
semi-mod: All posts about Wind / Electric shipping discussion moved. --ggr
SarahsDad
6 | Link ➤

10 Oct 20:23
Haven't seen this posted yet - excellent (but long) interview w Ross Gerber from two days ago. Very, very, very bullish.
5 | Link ➤

11 Oct 21:13
Making public progress. In the last week I've had two friends talk to me about TSLA purchases:

a. Business owner, BMW driver, Trump supporter.
b. Retired social worker, confirmed Prius driver, Biden supporter.

Both had to tell me how comfortable they were with long term Tesla prospects...

Cathie just said that ARK’s expected annual rate of return for TSLA investment through next five years is 45%....

edit: $2,835 in 2025?

But don’t forget, this rate of return is not based on HODL. They are an actively managed fund, meaning they will sell high and buy back low. For ordinary retail investors, no way to achieve 45% unless putting the same amount of effort, with access to the same financial modeling & trading tools, plus similar years of experience in trading TSLA as ARK Invest has.

I know this post will fly by, but seeing this big run up in TSLA, if you have a lot of shares sitting in a regular or retirement trading account, there are some good bonuses for transferring shares to a new brokerage.

I just did this three times moving shares around from my main retirement account and one of my non-qualified trading account, scoring some sweet bonuses. Twice with Merrill Edge (one regular, one retirement account), and once with TDAmeritrade.

It's really easy to set up these accounts, and then initiate an account or straight share transfer (which does not require selling your shares).

The more you can transfer, the better the bonuses, of course: see: Best Brokerage Account Bonuses In October 2020 | Bankrate

Edit to add: If you are a BoA customer with the Preferred Rewards program, you can use the code 900ME for an additional 50% bonus on transfers.
For instance, instead of a $600 bonus for transferring $200k, you'd get $900.

But don’t forget, this rate of return is not based on HODL. They are an actively managed fund, meaning they will sell high and buy back low. For ordinary retail investors, no way to achieve 45% unless putting the same amount of effort, with access to the same financial modeling & trading tools, plus similar years of experience in trading TSLA as ARK Invest has.
You're right....HODL may outperform the 45%....(You never know) :)

While true, I don't think it's that much different from the rest of us. Ark doesn't sell 100% of their TSLA investment into a rally - only enough to bring it down to 10%. The same goes for their dip buying. If they're anything like TT007 then we'd have much to speculate...
Plus, I expect TSLA to maintain a growth rate of 45% or more going forward. Long term, the stock price should reflect this growth.

No doubt. AAPL’s market cap increased almost a third of a TSLA today; ~$130B.

Even with money flowing out, though, there were still enough buyers to keep it respectable. It’ll be interesting to watch the relative volumes after we see our shiny new iPhones.

maybe a short exodus. HODL and institutional investors are IMO not likely to be selling off their TSLA positions to buy AAPL. I personally prefer this ‘less volatile’ trading pattern. Leaves less room for the Gordon Johnsons’ of the world to do their dirty work.

But TSLA can only be 10%+/- of their portfolio. You can be diversified into TSLA stock and options.

Last edited: