Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was absolutely brilliant marketing. All that free media coverage! What can any competitor do? Most can't drop prices because they're already unprofitable on gross margin, and/or can't deliver for a few years. What traditional auto maker could even do this within 12 hours, since they would have to negotiate with a network of dealers who never offer the cars at MSRP anyway?

Traditional automakers raise and lower "Cash Back" offers. At least in the US

In dealer parlance "Cash on the Hood." OEMs can and do change incentives within 12 hrs.

I thought media doesn't affect Tesla sales.

How can lowering prices increase sales if "Tesla sells every car they can make."

Curious they are not making similar price cuts on Model X.

Trefis published two articles today, one on TSLA’s potential upside ($1000 share price) and one counter argument showing a potential downside scenario ($150 share price):

Tesla Upside: How Tesla Gets To A $1 Trillion Market Cap | Trefis

Telsa Downside: How Tesla Stock Fall Below $150 | Trefis

E*Trade newsfeed of course elected to only include the potential downside scenario article and headline. You have to wonder: why does E*Trade not want their clients to read the upside scenario? (Hint: E*Trade was recently acquired by Morgan Stanley, employer of the influential bull-turned-bear paid-for-by-the-automotive-industry analyst Adam Jonas.)

Another data point that comes to mind, Battery Day reveal of MS Plaid range was just above 517.
Even if not personal, it appears Elon is closely watching Lucid, or any player who's getting close to beating or claiming to beat Tesla specs.
That's certainly not a bad thing.

It does mean Elon sees Lucid as a competitor.

It seems personal with Peter Rawlinson.

I guess we will see price cuts to Model X when Lucid Gravity is close to production.

Theory regarding S price drops:
The roadster is getting closer, and maybe noticeably cheaper. The new battery tech stuff means that car no longer needs two super-expensive 100kwh battery packs strapped together to get its performance and range. That means they can make it MUCH cheaper than they thought.
This means higher sales of the roadster than expected.,
With the plaid model S coming, this is dividing the market segment of the current model S into 3:

Current model S: $70k ish range.
Plaid S: $100-130kish range.
Roadster: $150-200k range.

The price drop is to push the S down into its own market segment that does not compete with the plaid and the roadster.

Plus some people just want a *big* sedan car. People who dont like the doors on the X, but have a lot of kids or whatever. The 3 and Y are too small for them...BUT...they are not supercar afficiandos that need 0-60 in any particular time. Ideally they would buy the S, but holy crap its pricey. The S60 used to fill that gap (even that was pricey), but 60kwh was too lame. Now battery prices are in freefall, they can market a 100kwh S to the old 60kwh segment.

57D2404A-7A57-4CF3-AEC6-DF5096D3E51F.jpeg

Fossil fuel subsidies started to increase again in EU, growing by 6%

The State of the Energy Union report takes stock of the progress made in the five dimensions of the Energy Union: decarbonisation, including renewables, energy efficiency, the internal energy market, security of supply and research, innovation and competitiveness. It is the first since the adoption of the European Green Deal.

Fossil fuel subsidies, which amounted to €50 billion in the EU in 2018 (representing one third of all EU subsidies), were relatively stable over the past decade with a peak of €53 billion in 2012. Fossil fuel subsidies started to increase again in 2015, growing by 6% until 2018. This is in spite of several international declarations and largely relates to the consumption of petroleum products. Some Member States however, such as Austria, Denmark, Estonia and Hungary, went against this overall trend and reduced their fossil fuel subsidies significantly.

The share of renewable energy in the EU 27 energy mix reached 18.9% in 2018 and the EU is on track for reaching its renewable energy targets for 2020. Modelling projects the EU-27 to reach a share of renewable energy between 22.8% and 23.1% in 2020. The vast majority of Member States will meet or even outperform their targets, but three Member States (Belgium, France, and Poland) are at severe risk of failing to do so. Furthermore, two Member States (the Netherlands and Luxembourg) are at moderate risk of not meeting the target.

Source: Press corner

Gee, I wonder who they could buy credits from? And how much? And when? And will they disclose who from and how much and when. I'm not worried as Q3 should be profitable without them.

Possibly...

Tesla
Renault
(have applied to Eu to do this)
Toyota (according to some, their fleet of hybrids & ICE are below THIS YEAR'S limits. It won't last as limits get reduced)
MG / SAIC? Mostly selling EVs?
anyone else? I don't think Hyundai/Kia

The context of the conversation suggests to me it may be related to batteries and motors.. and perhaps castings.

V11 with 4D is also likely, and perhaps that will support (future) snake chargers.

Seems to me snake chargers are best located in indoor locations, when we will see them is an open question.

But overall we are much more likely to guess wrong than right, even if Green is right
If the Performance Model Y has 4860 cells, it would make hitting 500,000 deliveries more likely. Allocating the new single piece casting by performance and range would be reasonable and add 10-20,000 in pack capacity for the quarter.
Not likely, but would be a profit and capacity booster.

... These 500 companies are a barometer of the economy. I never said it was a perfect system or an accurate portrayal but it's generally viewed that way. It is what it is...

I disagreed because of the quoted part, while agreeing that such measures are misinterpreted. These are analogous to GDP and GNP both of which tend to be used as indirect indicators of the health of a country. All of the market indices and GDP GNP measure purely economic gross indicators that are quite good indicators of how well wealthy people, financial institutions and some corporations are doing. None reflect how well society is doing nor how well middle class employment si doing nor, crucially, do they reflect public health in any useful way. For more on this, far better documented, refer to Joseph Stiglitz.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086CX4JXF/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

As Tesla investors we are caught squarely in the dilemma Stiglitz & co. describe. We all benefit enormously for factors that are harming most of the world. We almost all obsess about our own growing wealth just as most of us in [insert any given country] are suffering. To be clear, I am obviously part fo that too, but at least I recognize that all the money in the world will not protect any of us with the effects of global warming, rising GINI coefficients and, especially in the US, effective dismantling of public health, exemplified by the rising legal and political resistance to contact tracing.

Maybe it is true that "...it's generally viewed that way..." but that error is resulting in horribly destructive public policy.

note: I fully recognize that these are my views and that well-informed people Amy choose to ignore the conditions of the poorest 80%. That is the stuff of revolution and societal collapse. We live in perilous times. I stay very long TSLA even though that addresses only a tiny part of the solution.

Theory regarding S price drops:
The roadster is getting closer, and maybe noticeably cheaper. The new battery tech stuff means that car no longer needs two super-expensive 100kwh battery packs strapped together to get its performance and range. That means they can make it MUCH cheaper than they thought.
This means higher sales of the roadster than expected.,
With the plaid model S coming, this is dividing the market segment of the current model S into 3:

Current model S: $70k ish range.
Plaid S: $100-130kish range.
Roadster: $150-200k range.

The price drop is to push the S down into its own market segment that does not compete with the plaid and the roadster.

Plus some people just want a *big* sedan car. People who dont like the doors on the X, but have a lot of kids or whatever. The 3 and Y are too small for them...BUT...they are not supercar afficiandos that need 0-60 in any particular time. Ideally they would buy the S, but holy crap its pricey. The S60 used to fill that gap (even that was pricey), but 60kwh was too lame. Now battery prices are in freefall, they can market a 100kwh S to the old 60kwh segment.
Maybe there are some good 4680 cells laying around and instead of letting them fall in the ocean they have made packs for S.

Billionaire Asda buyers lose auditor Deloitte | This is Money

EG Group runs several thousand fuel stations / garages across Europe. Recently the same people took over Asda, a large Uk supermarket chain previously owned by Walmart. Their Auditor resigned after 4 years.

While EG group might have had their Auditor resign for any number of reasons, it is reinforcing my view that there are large changes happening in the fuel supply businesses .

At some point, the availability of fuel stations will reduce to a point where EVs are more practical. I'm keeping an eye open on UK service station owners and wondering when the tipping point and mass closures occur.

This anti-fossil Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt will rise fast over the next few years, part of why I expect EVs to be dominant much earlier than most imagine.

EDIT: Wikipedia has some more info. EG Group - Wikipedia My emphasis

Major acquisitions

In 2017, it bought 77 Little Chef roadside restaurants.

In November 2017, the business secured approximately 1,000 forecourt assets from Esso in Germany, which were transferred and integrated into the existing EG network in October 2018.[9]

In 5 February 2018, EG Group announced that it will purchase nearly eight hundred Kroger convenience stores for $2.15 billion.[10] Later that month, EG Group announced that it had completed the acquisition of circa 1,200 sites in Italy from Esso.[11] In April 2018, EG Group completed the acquisition of a portfolio of 97 sites in the Netherlands to supplement is existing network in the country.[12] On 9 November, 2018, Australian retailer Woolworths announced to the Australian Securities Exchange it had entered into a binding agreement to sell its 540 fuel convenience sites to EG Group for AUD $1.72b,[13] and in December 2018, EG completed its acquisition of 225 sites of Minit Mart from Travel Centers of America LLC for upwards of US$330m.[14]

In July 2019, EG completed its acquisition of fifty four Fastrac branded sites in the United States,[15] and announced a deal to acquire sixty nine sites operated by Certified Oil, also in the United States.[16] On July 31, 2019, EG Group announced having entered a binding agreement to purchase Cumberland Farms. [17][18][19] The completion of the sale ended eight decades of family ownership of the chain.

In March 2020, EG became KFC's largest franchisee in Europe through the acquisition of 145 KFC outlets in the UK & Ireland.[20]

In October 2020, EG’s owners won a deal to buy the supermarket chain Asda from Walmart for £6.8 billion bringing it back into British hands after more than 20 years.[21]

EG Group's acquisitions have been largely funded by debt, with a net debt of over £7.3 billion at the end of 2019

Last edited: