Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F577BE02-BC3E-4F61-85F5-EF7C3AD1AF98.jpeg

The land adjacent to the giga-casting machine is a residential complex. It was a sore subject when Fremont was ramping up and Tesla could and still does need more space. Residential space is just as scarce though. In the long run being forced to expand outside of Fremont and to increase efficiency will be better then having that extra space.

One possibility is replacing an existing car parking/logistics area at Fremont with a multi-level car park with factory/office space on top.

There is always the issue of disrupting the normal flow of the factory, at present Austin is a much higher priority.

Speaking of Austin, good to see more "concrete developments"

i was one of the five (so far) disagrees.
The reason being is that you contradict yourself. In as much as one of the characteristics of a barometer is in its movement(change). And the index is supposed to capture the health of the economy NOW. Not when it settles.

a companies market cap !== its impact on the economy. If you think tesla has more impact on the us economy today than exxon you dont understand the economy in contrast to the stock market. the two are not the same thing.

edit: but without question Tesla WILL have more of an impact on the economy in the near future. But an oil company struggling right now is more indicative of the economy than a EV company on unprecedented growth

a companies market cap !== its impact on the economy. If you think tesla has more impact on the us economy today than exxon you dont understand the economy in contrast to the stock market. the two are not the same thing.

edit: but without question Tesla WILL have more of an impact on the economy in the near future. But an oil company struggling right now is more indicative of the economy than a EV company on unprecedented growth
But then by your own measure, Exxon has less than 1/10 of an impact on the economy compared to Amazon. That doesn't sound right, does it? With the market cap weighted method, there is simply no way the SP 500 can present an accurate state of the economy.

Amazon's sales figures are both a barometer for the economy as well as evidence of its business models viability in the future.

Exxon's revenue is also a barometer for the economy as well as evidence of viability its business model in the future.

As tesla is very production constrained and cannot keep up with demand for its products its financials and growth are an excellent barometer for its future, however since it has been selling everything it can make its not a good candidate for measuring the economy on the whole. If Tesla was not production constrained and sales declined or grew in a way that reflected the health of the economy then it would likely make more sense to track in an index designed to gauge the economy. But that is not the case, and I honestly don't think Tesla's growth rate will reflect the larger economy for quite some time. When Tesla's autobidder reflects electricity demand and robotaxi's/robotrucks reflect commerce demand I will feel differently.

Clearly few people agree with me. I'm fine with that. I am still a huge Tesla bull. I don't feel like the S&P inclusion matters. I feel confident that Tesla and TSLA will continue to outperform for quite some time. Just tired of hearing about the S&P

But then by your own measure, Exxon has less than 1/10 of an impact on the economy compared to Amazon. That doesn't sound right, does it? With the market cap weighted method, there is simply no way the SP 500 can present an accurate state of the economy.
No, by my measure it does not mean that. I said market cap does not reflect impact on the economy.

Last edited:
Model S price is now $69,420 (and the first thing you see at Tesla.com)

Electric Cars, Solar & Clean Energy | Tesla

Lol Elon is such a sick man!. I’m struggling to understand this 4D chess move though after the 3K price drop on Monday. I guess this is him showing the power Tesla has over any of the new comers? Or is this personal?

Are they not selling enough model Ss? Did they achieve some amazing Manufacturing efficiencies that suddenly will allow Tesla to increase their output considerably? Is this purely a play to get to 500K for the year? Very interesting.

Lol Elon is such a sick man!. I’m struggling to understand this 4D chess move though after the 3K price drop on Monday. I guess this is him showing the power Tesla has over any of the new comers? Or is this personal?

Are they not selling enough model Ss? Did they achieve some amazing Manufacturing efficiencies that suddenly will allow Tesla to increase their output considerably? Is this purely a play to get to 500K for the year? Very interesting.
It's Elon. It's just because memes.

Per Rob Maurer the financial cost to Tesla of the price cut will likely be nil.

It's Tesla's branding. Like Apple's "Think Different", this is Tesla's branding of "why so serious?". Very anti-establishment type of brand starting by being as childish as possible just to troll the suits with fart modes and 69/420. He knows Tesla's audience are millennials or younger. The people who complains about being screwed by the establishment out of a future that's habitable and prosperous. So sacrificing margins just for a gag? That is so Tesla, so Elon, and why he is loved(and hated) by many.

S&P index is there to track the overall economy
OK, that's two of you who've made this fundamental error.

The stock market is not the economy.

The S&P index tracks a supposedly representative part of the stock market. The S&P 500 is up 200 points, about 7%, year-to-date. But we're in a solid depression, GDP is down, employment is down, federal debt is up... way up, bankruptcies and bailouts are up, trade and tourism are down. By almost all measures except the stock market, the economy is cactus.