Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm honestly confused about this + Tesla's free access to patents.... Does this mean that everyone has access to a 4680 battery now by just asking LG Chem for them?

LG would need to be using similar tech to tabless electrodes to create the larger cells and not run into thermal problems. Only Tesla is currently set up to use the larger cells - so any other OEMs would need a long lead time to redesign their pack.

Tesla is probably too good a customer for LG to slight in terms of ripping off their technology, so if LG are creating the larger cells and selling to other OEMs they probably have Tesla's consent.

That said, there's probably several ways to create the effect of tabless electrodes while getting around patents - so I doubt Tesla could stop LG creating similar cells should LG be determined to do so.

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA
LG would need to be using similar tech to tabless electrodes to create the larger cells and not run into thermal problems. Only Tesla is currently set up to use the larger cells - so any other OEMs would need a long lead time to redesign their pack.

Tesla is probably too good a customer for LG to slight in terms of ripping off their technology, so if LG are creating the larger cells and selling to other OEMs they probably have Tesla's consent.

That said, there's probably several ways to create the effect of tabless electrodes while getting around patents - so I doubt Tesla could stop LG creating similar cells should LG be determined to do so.
So far Tesla doesn’t have a patent on the tabless cell, just a patent application. The search report indicates all claims as not patentable, although in practice that doesn’t necessarily mean that no patent can be secured. The Examiner may be wrong in assessment of what the prior art documents disclose or the patent attorney may be able to pull a limitation from the text of the application should there be no suitable dependent claim. It is wait and see.

Tony Sacconaghi was just on CNBS. Honestly he struggled to say anything negative about Tesla.

The host Kelly whatsername had her talking points written down for her.

1) "Battery Day was a disappointment"

2) "weave in the GM hummer announcement and competition"

3) "conclude that his remarks are cautious" - even though on the face of it... they weren't.

Yes, in all seriousness I feel like GM's EV moves these past couple of years reek of bailout positioning. During the next stock market crash they'll go to congress and say, "Geez, Government, we really honestly tried EVs, no one wants them. Look, we even tried hydrogen with Nikola, no one wants them. Please please please we need another bailout to protect hard-working Americans and their families. Think of the children!" And so again, the workers will get hosed, the taxpayers fleeced, and the executives massive bonuses. It's going to happen, I'd bet a thousand of my core shares. I mean, how many times have U.S. taxpayers bailed out GM? At least twice that I can remember off the top of my head, maybe more.

And Tesla, a true American superstar of a company, will continue to get *sugared* on by MSM and not a penny of taxpayer bailout money (not that they'd need it anyway).
I concur. GM and the rest of the legacy automakers are/will be expecting a bailout via the Green New Deal. Big Auto will receive a ton of money all the while dragging their feet and announcing new vehicles aka vaporware coming soon.

Tesla was ignored and in fact legacy auto was mentioned during the New Green Deal announcement. Additionally, during Gov. Newsome's announcement regarding the ban of new ICE vehicle sales in 2035, Ford, not Tesla was mentioned.

What if this is complete BS (in sneaky way):

...the rollout would be "extremely slow & cautious"

It gives the impression that this could be worse than Summon and premature for today.

However, I would also bet that all FSD owners will get something enabled that's new. I recall mention how the new 4D neural net can use the old data and rebuild & replace it over time. So what if we're all getting the new build, with the full features limited to a few users (for videos) and the rest getting like right hand turns or something amazing?

That's the kind of jazz I've come to expect from Tesla, and why we can't afford to skip class here and miss the field trip entirely. Then "you get to eat lunch all by yourself."

(Already Gone, The Eagles)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Damn, I'm going to miss the live presentation today because of a doctor's appointment (they didn't think it was a good enough reason to reschedule). So I expect you all to take good notes today OK?

Thanks in advance!

So when you get out of the doctor's, I expect you to go straight to sleep OK?

Thanks in advance!

So far Tesla doesn’t have a patent on the tabless cell, just a patent application. The search report indicates all claims as not patentable, although in practice that doesn’t necessarily mean that no patent can be secured. The Examiner may be wrong in assessment of what the prior art documents disclose or the patent attorney may be able to pull a limitation from the text of the application should there be no suitable dependent claim. It is wait and see.

Tabless battery isn't a new idea, it's used in other form factors already, just that Tesla are the first one to have the engineering smarts to put it in this type of cell and make it work.

Looking at Tuesdays open interest to today's I have noticed a pop in CALLs over 420. With the price held down around 420 it is to be expected.
PUTs on the other hand do not seem to have moved much, small gains in 420 & 390 strike. I think that means people in general are leaning to an expected pop.

I do agree that at the moment MMs are using this to pick up shares. They are not interested in where the price goes, just having cheap shares and premiums as profits. If the price does break out above 450, MMs will have all the shares they loaded up on at 420-430 to hand out. It is probably the only reason the price creeped up today.

It's all guess work at this moment tho.
2TUE.png

1WED.png

Tesla's best USPTO argument against the typical "obvious" reasons (if that's what the reason for rejection), is that how come nobody has done it yet. Mic drop.
They can also protect with Design Patents or machine process patents. I doubt that machine was "obvious" either. There is clear invention here. My only question is whether they will give it away or protect it. There's a trade off in the mission to share some.

Tony Sacconaghi was just on CNBS. Honestly he struggled to say anything negative about Tesla.

The host Kelly whatsername had her talking points written down for her.

1) "Battery Day was a disappointment"

2) "weave in the GM hummer announcement and competition"

3) "conclude that his remarks are cautious" - even though on the face of it... they weren't.

CNBC Video - half hour ago: Latest News

Toni like so many others relies on the valuation algorithms learned in college. They project outward for one or two quarters. Those are somewhat applicable to long established companies in stable industries. They are useless in regard to innovative young companies disrupting major industries. :rolleyes:

Last edited: