Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me say that again, clearly: Tesla will exit the PANDEMIC year of 2020 with TWICE as much cash as their long-term debt.
Excellent point, Lodger!
I wonder if 2020 could have really gone much for the company (and SP) without the pandemic (OK... Xk cars from Fremont).
Another question rattling around in there. Is the value Daimler's investment in TSLA, made way back when, worth more than Daimler yet?

edit - Typos

Last edited:
Analyst Says Tesla's $5B Stock Sale Is Smart Strategic Move

Wedbush analyst Daniel Ives maintains a Neutral rating and $560 price target but likes the move.

The Tesla Thesis: The equity distribution agreement for raising up to $5 billion is in addition to the $5 billion raise from September, as the EV maker continues to build up its treasure chest and Capex capabilities down the road.

"We believe this is the smart move at the right time for Musk & Co. after the parabolic rally in shares with the appetite strong among investors to play the transformational EV trend through pure play Tesla over the coming years," Ives wrote in a note.

Tesla raised significant capital over the past year, which has taken the "doomsday scenario" off the table and also helping to build out the "lynchpin" Giga 3 factory in China, Ives said. It also provided enough time for the model to hit sustained profitability which also earned the company S&P 500 inclusion.

Ives said Tesla is now in a clear position of strength, having come out of losses and with two factory buildouts – Austin and Berlin – on the horizon.

The company is raising enough capital to solidify its growing cash position and slowly get out of its debt situation. This, the analyst said, throws the lingering bear thesis for Tesla out the window for now.

"We believe this capital raise is a clear positive and further solidifies our bull case price target scenario of $1,000 with our base target $560," he wrote.

I value his input because he's critical of Tesla but knows enough to know it's a good investment. It too often feels like an echo chamber in my circle. Even if he's wrong with most of his criticism, if he's right sometimes it's good to be aware of it.
The rantings of a lunatic are never informative, especially when they take your attention away from other valid sources of information.

The difficulty with a high share price is hiring new employees who have a lower chance of seeing the explosive growth in their value - and retaining current employees after the vesting period when they can afford to do whatever they want.

Tesla does have better mitigation of these risks than most with enticing problems to engineer and the sustainability mission.

I don’t believe a large portion of current and future employees joined/will join Tesla with the intent to become monetarily rich.

People who work merely for or with the top priority being the paycheck/stock options are not generally the people who put in 80 hour weeks and spend sleepless nights trying to figure out some previously unsolvable problem. For that person, the rewards are the freedom to create with abandon, be part of making history and as a bonus owning a little piece of the company they helped build.

Imma leave this here... :D

TSLA.chart.2019-12-09.png

Mkt cap: 61.20B :p

Cheers!

I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Everything looked to easy.

I think this is the drop. And it does not matter!

What does the market think about an uncertainty off the table?

I thought the other shoe had dropped six shoes ago. This thing clearly has a lot of feet. Assume more other shoes. Is advice.

Keep teasing @Artful Dodger, I’m pretty sure he’s gifting me all his TSLA in his will. We besties.
You just about used up your 9 lives cat...hence the seat belt in your picture.

Me...I am just getting started....now go play with a High powered laser pointer....preferably green.

"He'd better show some empathy"? Please. This man is working harder to help humanity than anyone else on the planet, bar none. And it takes enormous capital and determination to pull off an effort on this scale, and with such massive resistance. By all indications, he may end up being one of those individuals who actually works himself to death. What more do you want?
"His lack of concern for a ginormous problem"? o_O

I also remember this video clip vividly (I've read every single post in this thread and the previous ones, since 2012). I'm well aware of how much we owe him, how sensible he is, and how dedicated he is to saving mankind from grave dangers.

The thing is, we can only find very few instances like the aforementioned video, but I can find several times more comments, tweets or likes joking on the stock market or how fake the left is with regard to inequality, capital allocation, etc.

As multi TSLAnaire, I'm worried that:
  1. he's being surrounded by richer and richer people who don't realize how much inequality is increasing, and how destructive it becomes over time. There's a conflict of interest here, obviously (why a group should fear the effect of wealth concentration when every member benefit from it hugely?)
  2. the pressure on Elon's wealth and control will continue to increase as his $ value of his companies will continue to grow. He'll soon be the richest man on Earth and will probably distance the rest of the pack by many hundreds of $B (NB: I agree that $ as capital != $ as spending, as Musk keeps repeating)
  3. unless the rest of society manage to fix the inequality problem -- which I doubt, due to the concentration of wealth generated by automation and IA, which keeps increasing the powers of the few over the many, discouraging the privately-owned media from recognizing the cause of the problem
  4. the effect of Tesla on many industries (other manufacturers, pro drivers...) with higher rate of automation, will generate huge social issues, at least temporarily. As Elon's wealth increases, the pressure to have a good % of the new wealth redistributed to those in need will be extreme (populations are aging almost everywhere, and we can't reinvent outdated jobs as fast as jobs will disappear)
  5. Elon will probably not like that that and fight that criticism harshly (instead of constructively, cf previous Twitter convos on the subject), because it will distract him from his important work (on Mars colonization, when the transport industry will finally have switched to BEV fully)
I think he'll probably take his billions and work full time on SpaceX, to try and make Mars a free planet. But I'd prefer if he starts demonstrating a better understanding of the issues at stake (see this paper, from an author whose views I usually don't share at all) and prepare the ground for what's coming.

Edit: I'm not sure how and where to move this discussion but don't hesitate to proceed if need be.

~~~NO. Moderators are not sherpas. Post elsewhere from the get-go.~~~

Last edited: