Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it was around a year ago that Cathie Wood said Tesla wound need to raise $10B. I thought she was crazy, because Tesla would be "self funding." That woman is a genius.

This is one of my favorite examples of how ARKK was just way over cnbc's heads. Future raises discussed ~2:10 mark. But the whole thing is worth watching.

Tasha on CNBC in June 2019

I can relate to this. Today my first stock purchase from 2013 became an official 100-bagger. Even though I have a high salary job and even though I didn't invest a boatload of money in that first tranche in February 2013 that money has now grown in to more than I could earn working very hard for 10 years or more. I honestly don't know how I feel about that. It's not luck, I do take pride in having understood Tesla early on and having had the cool to keep holding. But the way in which one can grow capital that quickly just holding an equity seems fundamentally wrong to me. I can't quite reconcile it.
You probably bought the shares I sold! Smart purchase.
I kept a few of those $17 shares from 2010 and while it's fun to see a 190x, my big purchase after I regained my senses in 2013 (bought a Model S and got woke) is still a few bucks short of 100x. I'll buy some beers anyway.
Cheers!

This is one of my favorite examples of how ARKK was just way over cnbc's heads. Future raises discussed ~2:10 mark. But the whole thing is worth watching.

Best part was end when CNBC analyst says he prefers $GM $F and while $TSLA is down 33% YTD $Gm $F is up 33% YTD. I’m guessing $TSLA return since this interview is slightly better.

Looking at the last 10-Q, all of that $5B raise could be used to pay off Convertible notes, tip in a bit of extra cash, and they can pay off all notes.

That is what I hope they do.
When the economy goes to hell, which might or might not happen in the next couple of years and might be happening now (covid impact), cash is king. If Tesla is not only capable of staying on top of its bills but can also rapidly build out manufacturing and refining plants and pay for mine development while costs are low due to the recession, and while Tesla's cash flow and income statements are compromised for the same reason, this would be a big advantage. Tesla needs to invest $100 billion in the next ten years just on battery cell production (per one of Rob Maurer's videos today). Why isn't paying off bonds a lower priority than capital spending and maintaining a large amount of cash to maximize maneuverability in hard times?

$ 1 Year
$ 12 1
$ 145 2
$ 1,742 3
$ 20,959 4
$ 252,184 5
$ 3,034,315 6
$ 36,509,352 7
$ 439,286,205 8
$ 5,285,560,046 9
$ 63,596,681,796 10

For day traders. Start with $1. Every day just make 1% on a trade. Do this for 250 days a year. That means you have weekends off and two weeks a year for holidays and vacation. Do this for 10 years, and you will have $63 Billion. Best to do in a Roth IRA, so no taxes on the gain. The power of compounding. You will be one of the richest people in the world.

Ark is running circles around other Wall St folks.

Can’t help noticing the $222 pre-split price on the day of that clip. Too bad my wife talked me out of buying even more shares back then!

Tesla needs to invest $100 billion in the next ten years just on battery cell production (per one of Rob Maurer's videos today). Why isn't paying off bonds a lower priority than capital spending and maintaining a large amount of cash to maximize maneuverability in hard times?

Capital spending: Money can only be efficiently spent so fast. It's pretty difficult to appreciate the magnitude of expertise that goes into spending a billion dollars in an efficient manner, let alone $12 billion. One reason TSLA has been my largest investment, by far, is that they are a very efficient corporation.

Paying off debt: It's better to pay off debt than just have the cash sit there, waiting. Tesla will maintain plenty of cash to get them through a potential economic downturn but maintaining excessive reserves is wasteful.

When Tesla management was weighing the pros and cons of a capital raise at this time, they figured they could take it or leave it. The ability to retire debt and bolster their cash reserves a bit were the deciding factors even though it wasn't a "must do". Less debt allows them to easily borrow money again in the future if they feel it would accelerate the mission so it's not like they are really giving anything up by paying down the debt.

When the economy goes to hell, which might or might not happen in the next couple of years and might be happening now (covid impact), cash is king. If Tesla is not only capable of staying on top of its bills but can also rapidly build out manufacturing and refining plants and pay for mine development while costs are low due to the recession, and while Tesla's cash flow and income statements are compromised for the same reason, this would be a big advantage. Tesla needs to invest $100 billion in the next ten years just on battery cell production (per one of Rob Maurer's videos today). Why isn't paying off bonds a lower priority than capital spending and maintaining a large amount of cash to maximize maneuverability in hard times?

I posted the comment to tap alternative opinions.

The advantages of paying on convertibles are;-
  • Lower dilution by avoiding conversion
  • Avoiding interest payments
With the cash, they are already sitting on a healthy buffer, $10B should be enough to ride out a downturn. (This may increase as the business gets bigger). Currently just sitting on cash probably pays a lower return than the interest rate on the convertibles.

Covid is a short term impact. I expect the migration to clean energy and transport to pickup momentum, it is a multi-speed economy, some are doing better than others, and that trend will accelerate. Ultimately, dying industries have no future..

I'm also on board with clean energy lowering the cost of embedded energy in all products. companies that tap that trend will have lower prices sooner and a competitive advantage.

The reason I mentioned paying down debt, is Elon mentioned it in the context of the raise

Welp, did some price crunching for my pending purchase of my car (eventually... whenever it shows up...) and found I had a bit of excess cash lying around even with taxes owed. Waste not, want not, so I put in an order for a few shares at $650 for tomorrow. :eek: Then realized I was $16 short, and corrected it. :cool:

Then again, market hates me, so expect to open in the $700s. You're welcome.

At these Tesla stock prices along with the huge bubble of the macros I believe day trading or holding is the way to go because Tesla stock has an equal chance of going up as down in price. To make money day trading you have to have the right company along with lots of spare time. The black swan of a day trader is buying without pausing as it drops and meanders to ZERO. The key is small buys and sells at about 1% intervals. If it's going to far in one direction stop and hold until the next day and then continue again. If it goes up and you have sold everything buy at any price preferable after a dip from almost any price. Put a limit sell at 1% higher and another buy 1% lower. Any how day trading has worked for me. I went from $15,000 in March to almost $61,000 now. If it drops I lose nothing because after today I only own 4 shares.

TBH, it's pretty easy to be successful when you've spent years accumulating a stock, which then rises 15x - for sure you need the conviction to buy and hold, and some patience. Many here perhaps forget 2014 to 2019, where we pretty much traded sideways, yes great for accumulation, but what if you'd opened your position at the start of that and not been able to add to it, then gains at that time were paltry, hell, I even went negative at one point.

So during these times of stagnation, other strategies can be profitable, this being one, along with playing with weekly calls.

And yes, it can be a lot of work, but it's fun too.

Last edited:
For a good laugh ...I give you "Mr. Right once a decade" Jim C.

Why Short Seller Jim Chanos Still Does Not Like Tesla Stock

There is a nice article (from November) in The Economist that highlights a big flaw in Jimmy Chanos' thinking regarding Tesla. Personally, I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps riding this one out.

Value investing is struggling to remain relevant

"The nature of intangible assets makes this a tricky calculation. But worthwhile analysis is usually difficult. “You can’t abdicate your responsibility to understand the magnitude of investment and the returns to it,” says Mr Mauboussin. Old-style value investors emphasise the steady state but largely ignore the growth-opportunities part. But for a youngish company able to grow at an exponential rate by exploiting increasing returns to scale, the future opportunity will account for the bulk of valuation. For such a firm with a high return on investment, it makes sense to plough profits back into the firm—and indeed to borrow to finance further investment.

Picking winners in an intangible economy—and paying a price for stocks commensurate with their chances of success—is not for the faint-hearted. Some investments will be a washout; sunkenness means some costs cannot be recovered. Network effects give rise to winner-takes-all or winner-takes-most markets, in which the second-best firm is worth a fraction of the best. Value investing seems safer. But the trouble with screening for stocks with a low price-to-book or price-to-earnings ratio is that it is likelier to select businesses whose best times are behind them than it is to identify future success."

Capital spending: Money can only be efficiently spent so fast. It's pretty difficult to appreciate the magnitude of expertise that goes into spending a billion dollars in an efficient manner, let alone $12 billion. One reason TSLA has been my largest investment, by far, is that they are a very efficient corporation.

Paying off debt: It's better to pay off debt than just have the cash sit there, waiting. Tesla will maintain plenty of cash to get them through a potential economic downturn but maintaining excessive reserves is wasteful.

When Tesla management was weighing the pros and cons of a capital raise at this time, they figured they could take it or leave it. The ability to retire debt and bolster their cash reserves a bit were the deciding factors even though it wasn't a "must do". Less debt allows them to easily borrow money again in the future if they feel it would accelerate the mission so it's not like they are really giving anything up by paying down the debt.

If it was a 50/50 decision this time, it’s unlikely they will do another round before S&P inclusion, or even this year. That’s good for continuing the run-up. We don’t want shares to get too easy to buy for the index funds, we’d like them to have to raise their bids a few times when supply dries up.

If anyone is considering selling their shares now, check out this leak first https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1336467014727110656?s=21
Good luck to other carmakers trying to catch up to Tesla in the software department.

I have to say I have a hard time understanding what the green is implying here.

What makes you feel like Tesla is way ahead in software department? Not questioning you, just trying to understand better.

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 10.10.23 AM.png

Like this, what is it that he is saying. The sun sets in west afaik, so is he saying that software 2.0 is over hyped and programming will go the way of Dodo basically never???

Last edited: