Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And again, this time a different increment for 200 shares a pop. Lol this is funny.

165B30F3-868D-4863-9E63-A760C17EC8A6.jpeg

I don't think that's how it works. TSLA has been added at $695 to the S&P 500. Any purchase below or above this figure will introduce a tracking error.

Hence the couple of spikes to 695 in AH.

Ignoring the time value of the money (which is anyway very close to 0) for those funds that right now hold cash instead of TSLA because they didn't manage to acquire all the shares they need, if they buy at 695 on Monday, their tracking error should be very minimal.

I do not believe they'd insist on buying just at the opening/closing cross as this would not guarantee the 695.

Are you saying most index funds are not buying after hours and the ones that do will only buy at 695? Not at 680 or 675? Would they really mind a tracking error that makes their performance slightly better?

I love the Disagrees - I really do. I'm hoping for better information from anybody, including the ones that Disagree.

I'm far from an expert - more like most here that have been learning about this stuff for the first time the last few weeks. This is the best info I have - please improve my / our knowledge with better info.

Update to my original post about when the TSLA share price is actually being used to calculate the index value. This is the original press release about the addition:
Index News Dec 11, 2020 - 5:15 PMTesla Set to Join S&P 500 & 100; Apartment Income REIT to Join S&P MidCap 400

This is the original press release from S&P. My reading is that the entry price to the index is based on the Opening Price on Monday; not the Closing Price on Friday.

These are clearly very similar to each other, most of the time. In this circumstance, there may be a reasonably large difference :)

But why does it keep falling after hours then? 672 now.

That’s a great question, and would seem to invalidate my thesis if they’re willing to trade in AH. Or maybe they all accumulated enough during the last weeks. I don’t know.

But 695 is the inclusion price, so it’s something to watch. Is the price now 660? 680? Or 695? It’s hard to tell based on how that all went down. Now for the long wait until 9:30 Monday. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: chrsk
I imagine if not for the huge push down 30 minutes before close the $700 Call sellers would have been on the hook for an additional 4 million shares (or at least more buying back) after the cross and that just could not happen... hence this stayed pinned safely under that. Luckily I have my TSLA shares I was wanting at $650 from my Call. I was beginning to think THEY were going to manage to steal them from me. I messaged Robinhood and they stopped trying to sell it. I am guessing they went ahead and exercised it for me because I have the shares now.

My guess is that was determined as the price for purposes of expiring options.

I checked with my brokerage. I was told that $695 was the Nasdaq closing price for TSLA and the MOC (Market-On-Close) price. However the agent said the Options Clearing Corporation had not yet determined the closing share price related to expiring options. He indicated that the $695 MOC price should be a part of the consideration regarding options, and also after hours prices.

I checked with my brokerage. I was told that $695 was the Nasdaq closing price for TSLA and the MOC (Market-On-Close) price. However at that time, the agent said the Options Clearing Corporation had not yet determined the closing share price related to expiring options. He indicated that the $695 MOC price should be a part of the consideration regarding options, and also after hours prices.

Ahhh, Ok, for non-option traders this means... nothing?

and if you had options out there, is this guy sayin "we don't know yet?

Thnx

Fire Away!
(It's still the batteries, Stupid!)