Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why does stuff always happen at exactly 7 AM eastern time in the pre-market? The pre market is open to trading way before that, but it seems things always pick up at exactly 7 AM. Is it the fact that Wall Street people "go to work" at 7 AM??

Because only a select few have access before 7AM, I'm not sure who, MM's I would guess

Bigger crowd comes in at 7AM, then another bunch (including myself) gets access at 8AM, hence you always see a movement at 14:00CET

Anything special happen? Green is always a nice color to see.. but still not $695 equivalent.

upload_2020-12-21_13-13-16.png

Reactions: PokerFJÆS
You could give anyone who bought FSD a credit if they want. When subscription starts they make a choice. Keep it forever on that car only. Or get a credit for months since bought at new subscription price.

So if you bought for $8,000 43 months ago (not sure what price was then) and subscription price is $100/month you have spent $4,300 and have 3,700 in credit against future subscription. If Tesla feels some of those early months was not worth full price they can award extra for those.

Again, there would be a choice. Everyone should be happy.

Letting all FSD owner until now transfer FSD forever would be an extremely costly thing to do. There must be a couple of hundred thousand who has bought now. If only 100,000 continue to drive Tesla for 20 years after they get their next Tesla that would be a loss of 100,000x12 monthsx20 yearsx100/month=$2,4 billion.

If it's 200,000 owners and $200/months then it's $9,6 billion.

I would be very upset as a stock owner if they give away billions.

Not allowing FSD to transfer prevents some people from upgrading to new cars. I’ve heard this multiple times and it makes sense. Until the aftermarket or Tesla values FSD at an appropriate level compared to buying it on a new car, that is downward pressure on sales.

If I sell my 3 now I may get a few k extra for FSD but that new S would cost me 10k (or an expensive subscription) to replace it.

Because only a select few have access before 7AM, I'm not sure who, MM's I would guess

Bigger crowd comes in at 7AM, then another bunch (including myself) gets access at 8AM, hence you always see a movement at 14:00CET

I think it depends on who your broker is. Webull allows trading from 4:00 ET. If you have an IBKR PRO account you can start trading at 4:00 ET. It is not limited in that sense.

Not allowing FSD to transfer prevents some people from upgrading to new cars. I’ve heard this multiple times and it makes sense. Until the aftermarket or Tesla values FSD at an appropriate level compared to buying it on a new car, that is downward pressure on sales.

If I sell my 3 now I may get a few k extra for FSD but that new S would cost me 10k (or an expensive subscription) to replace it.

Same. I might consider a new used car with FSD - but I wont buy a brand new from TEsla and fork up an extra $10k when I already have FSD on my current car. Then I'd rather delay buying a new car instead.

Edit: You should be able to pay a transfer fee, say 1/3 of FSD price to transfer it to your new car.

Last edited:
Same. I might consider a new used car with FSD - but I wont buy a brand new from TEsla and fork up an extra $10k when I already have FSD on my current car. Then I'd rather delay buying a new car instead.

FSD should be personal, and not follow the vehicle - or you should be able to pay a transfer fee, say 1/3 of FSD price to transfer it to your new car.
I think we should accumulate cars with lifetime FSD as long it is still possible! ,

There's no share-holder vote needed for a split, it's a board decision.
Are you sure? Cause just a month or so ago there was a lot of discussion about this and the consensus seemed to be that some previous decision says there can be a maximum of 2 billion shares. There are just under 1 billion now. According to some article it was also said that the board in any public company had the rights to change the number by 20% from the previous decision but anything more needed a shareholder vote.

A bit busy so can't go looking for the source right now.

Down the road there has to be two options. FSD for own personal use and for rental has to be priced different.

(At least as long as they plan to sell to private persons)

FSD options:

-None
-Personal
-Commercial, Robotaxi, (full FSD priced $10k today)
-Rental (week/month basis)

Maybe Tesla will allow any car with FSD hardware to join robotaxi, but take a much larger cut of the income if you dont have a FSD license, or only a private license?

Say, 60% - 40% - 10%?

A bit OT but too go to let pass - Volkswagen chairman Piech reportedly prepared to buy Tesla after a test drive in a Model S in 2013:

But now he's driving a Tesla. A black Model S, a Porsche dealer in Beverly Hills advised him to take the test, Musk used to be a customer of his. When Piëch got out again, he had made his judgment.

"Buy the company for me."

Google Translate

Found via teslamag.de:
Bericht. VW-Patriarch Piech startete 2013 Tesla-Übernahmeversuch > teslamag.de

There was an incident a couple of months ago where multiple non-Tesla EVs could charge on superchargers like for one day - IIRC Tesla said it was a mistake on their side, but some speculated back then it was really a test of the compatibility. Seems like they might have been right...

Link to Elon´s tweetof an hour ago: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1340978686212800513

EDIT: The initial "test/bug" was in September: Tesla bug allows other electric cars to charge for free at new Superchargers - Electrek

I've only seen anecdotal reports of non-Tesla vehicles in Europe able to use Superchargers. Anyone have the full story?
image.png

The reply is part of this twitter thread: https://twitter.com/Kristennetten/status/1340507683409969155

FSD options:

-None
-Personal
-Commercial, Robotaxi, (full FSD priced $10k today)
-Rental (week/month basis)

Maybe Tesla will allow any car with FSD hardware to join robotaxi, but take a much larger cut of the income if you dont have a FSD license, or only a private license?

Say, 60% - 40% - 10%?

If you say 8000$ / 10 years=> 66,7$ a month. Not sure if I would do that.

It something mental about a monthly fee. I don’t mind paying it upfront, but a monthly cost at that scale would have changed things.

No it isn't. Elon and Zack have said it will still be cheaper to buy it outright. Which brings us to this:

It isn't going to be anywhere near $100/month. It is going to be more like $250-300/month. (Assuming they don't raise the purchase price higher than $10k.) Remember, it has to be more than the cost FSD adds to a purchase/lease. (Which is currently ~$149/month on a base Model Y.)
It's going to have to be a lot higher because of all the people who only rent it for one or two month's vacation if they are to keep the income stream. Seven years times $300/month times two months is only $4200. Over 50% less revenue than the $10,000 purchase price. There's also the issue of actually making sure that it's enabled. "I placed a rental order for FSD in June for my July vacation, but it wasn't enabled".

It's going to have to be a lot higher because of all the people who only rent it for one or two month's vacation if they are to keep the income stream. Seven years times $300/month times two months is only $4200. Over 50% less revenue than the $10,000 purchase price. There's also the issue of actually making sure that it's enabled. "I placed a rental order for FSD in June for my July vacation, but it wasn't enabled".

Well - they could make it so a rental is only for personal use. But when you buy FSD, you can take part in Robotaxi network.

Or, if you own FSD - you keep 90% of the robotaxi income, but if you just rent, you have to split it 50/50 with Tesla.

Lots of ways to do this.

Enabling is easy- rent FSD in the app, and it automatically opens at a set date.. easy fool proof 0/1, FSD = true/fals.

Reactions: jerry33