Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirmation hearing for transportation secretary nominee.

NPR - 3 hours ago:

'Damn Refreshing': Mayor Pete Gets Friendly Reception At Senate Hearing

Excerpt:

Climate would have to be a "central feature" of any infrastructure package under the Biden administration, the former mayor said, arguing that there's a "unique window of opportunity" for investing in infrastructure while also combating global warming.

After-action Report: Thu, Jan 21, 2021: (Pre+Main Session Trading)

Headline: "TSLA Tags 10-Day MA on Low Volume"

Pre-Market Volume: 529,186
Data as of 01/21/2021 09:30:00
SP: $854.48 +4.03 +0.47%

Traded: (Pre+Main Session) $16,481,432,590.26 ($16.48B)
Volume: (Pre+Main Session) 19,454,578
VWAP: (Pre+Main Session) $847.18

Close: $844.99 / VWAP: 98.52%
TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP
TSLA MaxPain (7:00 A.M.): $820 (+$20 from Wed)

TSLA S&P 500 Weight: 1.983842% (Jan 20)
Mkt Cap: TSLA / FB $800.967B / $777.213B = 103.06%
Note: Yahoo Finance yet to update TSLA Mkt Cap re shares issued Dec 11th (SEC Filing)
CEO Comp. Status: (est'd Mkt Cap including Dec 11th shares)

TSLA 30-day Closing Avg Market Cap: $738.58B
TSLA 6-mth Closing Avg Market Cap: $465.62B

Mkt Cap req'd for 8th tranche ($450B) likely achieved on Tue, Jan 19, 2021
Nota Bene: Operational milestones req'd
(see chart at link). h/t @The Accountant
'Short' Report:

FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 46.5% (45th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short / Total Volume = 55.5% (53rd Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Short Exempt ratio was 0.55% of Short Volume (47th Percentile Rank Exempt)

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2021-01-21.png

Comment: "Market forces"

QOTD: @Mengy "The competition is coming, just not the way Wall Street analysts expect"

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!​

With all that Mr Musk has repeated over the years I have been following him, I cannot believe that effective carbon capture does not rank supremely high on his list of what is important for mankind.

Given my understanding of the socioindustrial processes presently ocurring, I am quite certain I know WHAT the winning solution is. Most unfortunately, I have not been able to come up with HOW to effect that.

Summary: no soup for me.
Assuming you are serious, what is the winning solution?

There's a bit of an intro to this post but it gets around to Tesla eventually.

So, there's a guy in the music business you've never heard off, Bob Lefzets. He has a newsletter, yes old style emails, going out to many thousands of readers once or twice most days. He also has a podcast and twitter but it's the emails that matters. He writes on everything from what's wrong with the world to downhill skiing to favorite jewish bakeries. Pretty much anything is fair game but mostly centering around music in some way. The readers are people at record labels, booking companies, live venues, musician including many many very well known ones. We know that because he often publishes responses from readers and surprisingly often it's names even those not in the industry would recognize. Readers are people from all parts of life but including a lot of very wealthy people in high up positions at various companies.

Anyway, there's an archive where you can find the latest missile. Here's the link Lefsetz Letter

It's pretty much a commentary on the wsj journal story about VWs software problems.

In case there is already a new one at the top you're looking for the one called Tesla/Volkswagen.

Now, Lefzets writing is hard to follow at times, jumps from subject to subject every paragraph, and sometimes tries to hard to provoke but usually makes sense in the end. Also he's a bit of a grumpy old guy at times. He has mentioned Tesla a few times before but from what I can remember this is the first time he centers around EVs. I don't think he has an EV himself.

What I found interesting is how he as an outsider mostly gets the issues facing the auto industry. The reason I'm mentioning this here is how there are many thousand of people reading him that will never have read such a clear description on why the next car they will buy might not be an ICE.

It's when texts like this is spread to the public that more and more will start to get it. Here's a few samples.

"So it turns out making cars the old way is very different from making them the new. The old way, perfected over a hundred plus years, is to focus on mechanics, manufacturing, but in electrics the key is software, which can be updated over the air as your car sits in its garage. De rigueur with Tesla, non-functioning with VW."

"In other words… If you’re looking for the future, don’t ask people working at the big companies. Also, the media gets it wrong time and again, if for no other reason that those on the beat are uneducated in the minutiae of the sphere."

"Beware of buying an expensive gasoline-powered car in the future. Turns out they’re going to crater in value just like those 35mm Canons and Nikons. Electric has already won the future. If you don’t know this, you’re the opposite of a seer. Don’t get too comfortable where you are, because change is constantly coming. And the future has positives and negatives, but many more of the former. Sure, there are no more vent windows in cars, but they all come with air conditioning. And digital music does not skip. And electric cars pollute less."

Anyway, found it interesting. If anyone made it all the way here you should click the link above and give it a read.

There's a bit of an intro to this post but it gets around to Tesla eventually.

So, there's a guy in the music business you've never heard off, Bob Lefzets. He has a newsletter, yes old style emails, going out to many thousands of readers once or twice most days. He also has a podcast and twitter but it's the emails that matters. He writes on everything from what's wrong with the world to downhill skiing to favorite jewish bakeries. Pretty much anything is fair game but mostly centering around music in some way. The readers are people at record labels, booking companies, live venues, musician including many many very well known ones. We know that because he often publishes responses from readers and surprisingly often it's names even those not in the industry would recognize. Readers are people from all parts of life but including a lot of very wealthy people in high up positions at various companies.

Anyway, there's an archive where you can find the latest missile. Here's the link Lefsetz Letter

It's pretty much a commentary on the wsj journal story about VWs software problems.

In case there is already a new one at the top you're looking for the one called Tesla/Volkswagen.

Now, Lefzets writing is hard to follow at times, jumps from subject to subject every paragraph, and sometimes tries to hard to provoke but usually makes sense in the end. Also he's a bit of a grumpy old guy at times. He has mentioned Tesla a few times before but from what I can remember this is the first time he centers around EVs. I don't think he has an EV himself.

What I found interesting is how he as an outsider mostly gets the issues facing the auto industry. The reason I'm mentioning this here is how there are many thousand of people reading him that will never have read such a clear description on why the next car they will buy might not be an ICE.

It's when texts like this is spread to the public that more and more will start to get it. Here's a few samples.

"So it turns out making cars the old way is very different from making them the new. The old way, perfected over a hundred plus years, is to focus on mechanics, manufacturing, but in electrics the key is software, which can be updated over the air as your car sits in its garage. De rigueur with Tesla, non-functioning with VW."

"In other words… If you’re looking for the future, don’t ask people working at the big companies. Also, the media gets it wrong time and again, if for no other reason that those on the beat are uneducated in the minutiae of the sphere."

"Beware of buying an expensive gasoline-powered car in the future. Turns out they’re going to crater in value just like those 35mm Canons and Nikons. Electric has already won the future. If you don’t know this, you’re the opposite of a seer. Don’t get too comfortable where you are, because change is constantly coming. And the future has positives and negatives, but many more of the former. Sure, there are no more vent windows in cars, but they all come with air conditioning. And digital music does not skip. And electric cars pollute less."

Anyway, found it interesting. If anyone made it all the way here you should click the link above and give it a read.

I kinda cracked up when I read, "And the future has positives and negatives..." when I thought immediately about the poles of a battery.

Assuming you are serious, what is the winning solution?
Errrmmm....Although I admit I know not what to do with yet one more $100mm, it still beggars the imagination as to why I would divulge to all the world the answer to that question.
Seriously: I am, still, working on trying to solve it. The most appropriate solution lies in a sequence of inorganic or organic - possibly a combination of both - chemical reactions, and in one of my many backgrounds I am well-qualified to address this problem. I do rather hope to have the answer before my son Gus does. He may have the advantage of greater verve and energy to come up with the solution, but I have the greater background....and besides, he's still only 3.

Errrmmm....Although I admit I know not what to do with yet one more $100mm, it still beggars the imagination as to why I would divulge to all the world the answer to that question.
Seriously: I am, still, working on trying to solve it. The most appropriate solution lies in a sequence of inorganic or organic - possibly a combination of both - chemical reactions, and in one of my many backgrounds I am well-qualified to address this problem. I do rather hope to have the answer before my son Gus does. He may have the advantage of greater verve and energy to come up with the solution, but I have the greater background....and besides, he's still only 3.
Well, solve it or out with it.

BTW, fish tanks can’t be that expensive to deliver to the frozen North. You could even heat them using the excess heat generated by your servers mining, er, impalpable ethereal currencies. ;)

Not sure if your thoughts are along the same lines as Newlight Technologies, but they have a pilot plant already: https://www.newlight.com/

If not, then the prize money could definitely help towards funding the R&D to make it manufacturable and scalable. Remember, prototypes are easy, but building at scale is hard! ;)

With all that Mr Musk has repeated over the years I have been following him, I cannot believe that effective carbon capture does not rank supremely high on his list of what is important for mankind.

Given my understanding of the socioindustrial processes presently ocurring, I am quite certain I know WHAT the winning solution is. Most unfortunately, I have not been able to come up with HOW to effect that.

Summary: no soup for me.

I can’t help but to draw a connection between CC and the “super power” section of the energy presentation we were all discussing a few days ago.

“What will we do with all that extra FREE energy”.

Specifically addressed options include desalinization and carbon capture. Both are massive crisis’ that face planet earth NOW.

Both would also be direct beneficiaries of the clean energy revolution as they are currently cost prohibitive with our current energy structure.

if you missed this video earlier this week I highly recommend watching it. AND SHARING IT. I’ve personally shared it to most of my family as well as my massive Twitter following of 12.

A little off topic from Carbon Capture, this is another something huge that Tesla will disrupt. The effects resulting from removing the control of energy from a few hands and placing it into the many stagger the mind to contemplate.

The price of energy is the most significant part of the price of practically everything. Significantly reduce the costs of energy to near free and the barriers to progress will, for all practical purposes, be removed. The same way that Cryptocurrency removes control of the monetary system from Central Banks, Solar, Wind and Autobidder will do the same for the energy supply.

It boggles my mind conceiving the possibilities we are on the cusp of once energy is essentially free (and clean), and whatever money is trusted most will be the most competitive in order to remain relevant. The world has never seen anything like this before and Tesla will play a huge part in this transition of power. (yes, another double entendre, which is sort of like a pun, but with good manners)

Last edited:

While this is an excellent presentation, there is some chance Tesla Battery Day accelerates the price drop curve for batteries, and allows them to reach a lower price by 2030.

In turn, lower priced batteries change the U-curve.

So the ability to tap "Superpower" (almost free electricity) is more likely to be a conscious decision.

The other point which has been made elsewhere, is all manufactured products contain embodied energy and transport. lower the cost of energy and transport, businesses have lower costs, they make higher margins, or pass on lower prices. The amount of savings does vary from product to product, but there is a compounding effect, many products are made from components, and most components are made with energy and transport, often in a highly automated fashion.

Again if there is one event likely to accelerate price drops for energy and transport, Tesla Battery Day is that event.

So clean energy and transport is not only better, it is cheaper, and rapidly improving.

I’m expecting the stock price to jump 7 to 10 percent on news of the Model S refresh.

Nothing but silence recently. Are there still no model S’s showing up within the Fremont parking lot?

I also understand that the GA line for Model S may not start rolling until the first week of Feb.

Can’t wait to hear something, any new news, or even rumors at this point.

I’m expecting the stock price to jump 7 to 10 percent on news of the Model S refresh.

Nothing but silence recently. Are there still no model S’s showing up within the Fremont parking lot?

I also understand that the GA line for Model S may not start rolling until the first week of Feb.

Can’t wait to hear something, any new news, or even rumors at this point.

You seen this already?

https://twitter.com/teslaownersSV/status/1352481372732944388