Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh for sure but I'm also saying that it's not nearly as much as you think it is.

Well, you don't know how much I think it is. ;)

Simply having a subprocessor dedicated for Sentry Mode would be a huge power saver that would be far more noticeable.

That's exactly one of the types of optimization I was speaking about in my previous post. Spinning your own chip could allow them to include core(s) for that very function... amongst others.

This is getting OT, so I'll cease here...

Last edited:
But that's the thing, there's no need for custom chips to do that. There already exists multi-channel chips for capture and encoding all the streams from all the cameras on Tesla's combined drawing less than 2.5W and for years now. The savings from going custom would be lost in the noise.

It's things like the TPU where Tesla has something nobody else has and isn't already a commodity. In any case, we'll see but a custom MCU seems far less likely than simply an upgrade to a more modern SOC that easily has the capabilities needed while also drawing less power. The current Intel Atom was five years old even when released!

But that's the thing, there's no need for custom chips to do that. There already exists multi-channel chips for capture and encoding all the streams from all the cameras on Tesla's combined drawing less than 2.5W and for years now. The savings from going custom would be lost in the noise.

It's things like the TPU where Tesla has something nobody else has and isn't already a commodity.
In the quantities that Tesla would need, and with the correct level of robustness?

Reactions: WarpedOne
In the quantities that Tesla would need, and with the correct level of robustness?
Easily, these aren't parts that need the leading edge foundry process to achieve low power consumption so there's plenty of capacity for orders.

Still, I can see your points about Tesla wanting control. They could get the ARM license and put in orders for themselves on a semi-custom SOC.

Well at least we get the sell off BEFORE earnings :confused:

Now we've cleared out a bunch of 900 sell orders
I expect this is EXACTLY what the MMs are doing. It worked on me a few weeks ago and it will probably work on others this week. However, armed with my previous experience, and knowledge from @Papafox , I fully expected the Monday morning rocket ride, followed by the MMD. I was holding some Friday 840/850c that were down about 30% since I bought them, (last week was a bit hard on my convictions). Over the weekend I guessed on an option price near $70 if the SP went to $900, set my sell orders for $69.20, $70, and $98 in the different accounts and went to sleep. Checked the SP upon waking, and ran to login, to see that I basically hit the morning peak dead on (lucky :)). Sold for 50% profit on about 2/3rds and holding the last 1/3rd to either exercise or sell after earnings. I didn’t have enough cash to exercise those options, so now pretty happy. Hopefully, I will be able to pick up 200-300 shares.

Bought one at 900...frame it and tell grandkids...yep I got in at 900.

They won't believe me.

Word.

And here I was wringing hands and gnashing teeth having bought 8 shares at 876. Looks like it was a good buy, like all of my TSLA buys that I worried about having thought I was buying ATH (even when I tried to buy low).

Nice activity today. The new chip deal with Samsung and SpaceX's latest sat-launch success doesn't hurt either. As always, the Elon factor is in play.

Seems like the mail lady could have parked out of the way initially. Hilarious. I should watch the rest of that later.

Definitely watch the rest of it when you have time. He's one of my favorite FSD Beta drivers to watch, and obviously really likes to try to put the beta into the most difficult situations. I'm sure he's giving the autopilot team plenty of valuable data.

Meanwhile at SpaceX:
SN9 is posed to fly sometime this afternoon. It passed the flight readiness review, but they have a few things to check up on before it flies, so I'm expecting at least a couple hours, and likely more, before anything happens. Anyone interested in tank watching can do so here. SpaceX might possibly put a live stream up, but we won't know until fairly shortly before the flight.

Last edited:
The most recent FactSet survey of TSLA analysts from TheStreet shows they are moving the goalposts on TSLA earnings to $1.04/share from the general consensus of $0.93/share reported by @The Accountant on January 5th:

More Gains for Tesla as Analysts Pile On Pre-Earnings Praise

"Tesla is expected to report earnings of about $1 billion, or $1.04 a share, on sales of $10.5 billion after the market closes on Wednesday, based on a FactSet survey of 22 analysts. That compares to earnings of $143 million, or 43 cents a share, and sales of $7.4 billion in the year-ago quarter."

My money - as usual - is on @The Accountant being the closest arrow to the bullseye. It might be worth noting that the FactSet survey at $1.04/share is now almost exactly 1/100 #Gordon unit of measure for TSLA stock away from @The Accountant estimate on January 5th of $1.22/share (one #Gordon = $17.40 and 1/100 #Gordon = $0.174). Here is to hoping that January 27th not only illuminates an EPS at-or-above that shared by @The Accountant on TMC.............but also that going forward an additional benefit is that we see Gordon Johnson reduced to a similar 1/100 of his current presence........perhaps under a re-instated Cash For Clunkers program?

Last edited: