Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mostly known by delivery dates going months out. Sold out until September I hear.
If you’re talking about the september delivery times in Europe, they’ve been at september from the first minute the new design was unveiled. It just means that Tesla will only make the first batch for Europe in juli or so. Meanwhile, the limited availability due to the production ramp will mean North-America deliveries only.

This is a rumor so please take with a grain of salt. It’s a fairly lengthy tweet thread so I encourage you to go read it. Says possible 10% purchase of byd shares and 10% of tsla shares for a 20% stake in byd.
https://twitter.com/jpr007/status/1356496539833618432?s=21

852DC9D8-1053-4255-AE4D-C781D89B6FA3.jpeg

This is a rumor so please take with a grain of salt. It’s a fairly lengthy tweet thread so I encourage you to go read it. Says possible 10% purchase of byd shares and 10% of tsla shares for a 20% stake in byd.

View attachment 633213
Interesting if true.

Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway already owns 25% of BYD, at least according to this Nov 4, 2020 article. Would be strange if Tesla bought BYD, and Berkshire's mystery investment is in TSLA.

View attachment 633213

I see no reason for Tesla to want to have anything to do with BYD?

They already have a factory within China. Do they need a partnership with a chinese company after all, to be able to expand?
Does BYD have anything at all, that Tesla dont have?

Am I missing something?

There is Mercedes-style luxury
View attachment 633063

and there is Tesla-style luxury:
View attachment 633065

And the same point can be made about quality. It's as much about perception as what buyers consider luxurious. Some appreciate perfect panel gaps inside and outside. For me, quality means that after 2 years ownership, the only maintenance I had was refill of wiper fluid. Instead of oil changes, I had about 50 OTA updates that made the car by leaps and bounds better than when I bought it. To me, luxury is that I can switch on AC remotely, or to always know the location of my car and (hopefully coming soon to EU) summoning it to pick me up.

Some people will never change their preferences but there are also many who experienced a Tesla in real life or simply from looking at youtube videos already did. And once they experienced the change of perspective, they won't go back to last century's definition of luxury - or quality.

Same as with other paradigm shifts, this starts slowly, almost unnoticeable until it's an unstoppable avalanche that nobody saw coming. Except some nerds at TMC maybe.

I don't know if it's denial, or just that you folks got lucky with you cars - maybe you only bought your Teslas recently, my two cars have been 2013 P85 and then 2016 XP100 (still current). The P85 must have been to service centre 20-30 times, including 4 DU replacements - those are forgivable, of course, the car was still in development. But the rattles that developed, particularly with the pano roof were unacceptable, and seemingly unfixable, which comes down to poor materials, fit and fix

The X had to go to body-shop several times to try and straighten it out, the right side of the car was all over the place, the left side perfect. They never quite managed to resolve it. As for the the rattles and suspension creaks, I've now given up reporting as I don't want to waste Tesla's time, the only cure will be changing the car

Don't get me wrong, I lwill never buy anything other than a Tesla. The P85 was my favourite car of all time, warts-and-all, the good stuff made up for the garbage. But as I'm a "early adopter" and $TSLA investor, I'm likely more forgiving than that average buyer - and do I know several people that haven't bought a Tesla because of the crummy interiors

Anyway, here's hoping the new stuff is a lot better, eh?

I see no reason for Tesla to want to have anything to do with BYD?

They already have a factory within China. Do they need a partnership with a chinese company after all, to be able to expand?
Does BYD have anything at all, that Tesla dont have?

Am I missing something?

Agreed. I don't see this either. BYD is not a leader in battery tech, even though they make a lot of batteries. But AFAIK it's mainly iron phosphate which isn't really the future. And their cars are... well... let's say they play in another leage than Tesla.

Reactions: lafrisbee and MC3OZ

View attachment 633213
The comment further down the chain noting that one of the ideas behind the purchase is to secure a battery manufacturer is probably the most plausible given how battery constrained Tesla is at the moment (I wouldn't want to be standing between Elon and a 2170 right now), Tesla is clearly hypermotivated to secure supply.

But it still doesn't pass the sniff test - with 20% of BYD tesla still has little control over the company and would be unlikely to be able to transfer additional cells or cell raw materials to Tesla's products, or determine the direction of BYD's new products.

The comment further down the chain noting that one of the ideas behind the purchase is to secure a battery manufacturer is probably the most plausible given how battery constrained Tesla is at the moment (I wouldn't want to be standing between Elon and a 2170 right now), Tesla is clearly hypermotivated to secure supply.

But it still doesn't pass the sniff test - with 20% of BYD tesla still has little control over the company and would be unlikely to be able to transfer additional cells or cell raw materials to Tesla's products, or determine the direction of BYD's new products.
What about the reverse? Tesla supplies cells, batteries, electronics, drive units, and FSD to BYD. BYD shares factory cost, Tesla gets a portion of sales profits. With ownership stake, Tesla retains IP and control.

If you’re talking about the september delivery times in Europe, they’ve been at september from the first minute the new design was unveiled. It just means that Tesla will only make the first batch for Europe in juli or so. Meanwhile, the limited availability due to the production ramp will mean North-America deliveries only.

You going to upgrade, Nico?