Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do I read this right and Tesla conquered 1-fracking-5 % of market share in just one year?
Tesla had a slightly higher percent at end of 2019: EV Sales: 2019 sales by OEM

tesla ev sales.png

Do I read this right and Tesla conquered 1-fracking-5 % of market share in just one year?

No Tesla was in first place in 2019 and now is in first place in 2020.

In 2019(not shown in this chart) Tesla had 20% PEV market share now it has 16%.

By popular demand Jose did BEV only sales chart(as best he could as some OEMs report BEV/PHEV sales combined for particular models like i3) but seems to have given up now.

Late night/early morning.... I thought that I would emphasize some significant aspects of the refreshed MS that hasn’t been particularly highlighted...

Tesla intended to make the Roadster to be their “Halo” car and give ICE a "hardcore smackdown to gas-powered cars.". The founder series Roadster will also cost $250,000 and certainly have limited volume.

Somehow Tesla found a way to bring some of the upcoming Halo car to the remodeled MS TODAY! The new Plaid MS (not even the plaid+) already delivers on the Roadster’s 0-60 mph time of under 2 seconds making it the WORLD’S fastest accelerating production automobile. Period. The quarter-mile in 9.23 seconds @155 mph (under 9 seconds for plaid+). This is SERIOUSLY fast. How fast? The MS will require a PARACHUTE at the drag strip (required by NHRA for cars exceeding 150mph in the quarter mile). Tesla also updated the Model S to become the most aerodynamic production car in the world, with a drag coefficient of just 0.208. Lastly, may I remind you this was all accomplished with a 4-door sedan?

While we anxiously await the amazing Roadster 2.0, Tesla engineering has killed the specs with this refresh and I think we’ll see a significant pop in MS sales!

You going to upgrade, Nico?
It’s not a question of ‘if’ but of ‘when’. This refresh is really tempting (I mainly waited for the Model 3 smart entry system, which is now also in the Model S). But I’m a bit disappointed with the fact that it still has 18650 batteries and that the range didn’t improve materially over the 2020 edition.

Late night/early morning.... I thought that I would emphasize some significant aspects of the refreshed MS that hasn’t been particularly highlighted...

Tesla intended to make the Roadster to be their “Halo” car and give ICE a "hardcore smackdown to gas-powered cars.". The founder series Roadster will also cost $250,000 and certainly have limited volume.

Somehow Tesla found a way to bring some of the upcoming Halo car to the remodeled MS TODAY! The new Plaid MS (not even the plaid+) already delivers on the Roadster’s 0-60 mph time of under 2 seconds making it the WORLD’S fastest accelerating production automobile. Period. The quarter-mile in 9.23 seconds @155 mph (under 9 seconds for plaid+). This is SERIOUSLY fast. How fast? The MS will require a PARACHUTE at the drag strip (required by NHRA for cars exceeding 150mph in the quarter mile). Tesla also updated the Model S to become the most aerodynamic production car in the world, with a drag coefficient of just 0.208. Lastly, may I remind you this was all accomplished with a 4-door sedan?

While we anxiously await the amazing Roadster 2.0, Tesla engineering has killed the specs with this refresh and I think we’ll see a significant pop in MS sales!

The Plaid also uses 18650 cells to deliver the performance and faster charging.

Clearly Plaid drive itself is a significant innovation, Elon has described it as "Alien Technology".

Agreed. I don't see this either. BYD is not a leader in battery tech, even though they make a lot of batteries. But AFAIK it's mainly iron phosphate which isn't really the future. And their cars are... well... let's say they play in another leage than Tesla.
I did not disagree although I do think you're missing a couple of important points.
BYD produces a variety of commercial vehicles, most of which are quite successful. They produce sturdy, reliable, efficient BEV products. They have none of the cachet of Tesla.
If I wanted a municipal bus, garbage truck, urban delivery van or other industrial vehicles or a local taxi BYD would be high on the shopping list. They are the only vehicle producer other than Tesla that produces their own batteries at scale.

Would Tesla buy batteries from BYD? Sure, Elon repeatedly says they'll buy batteries from any supplier that can meet Tesla requirements. By the way, there is a role for iron phosphate batteries in Tesla. Check out Battery Day for context.

That said, I really see little reason to merge two vastly different businesses, both successful. Of course, I know nothing about these stories so I haven't any idea what might actually be happening.

It’s not a question of ‘if’ but of ‘when’. This refresh is really tempting (I mainly waited for the Model 3 smart entry system, which is now also in the Model S). But I’m a bit disappointed with the fact that it still has 18650 batteries and that the range didn’t improve materially over the 2020 edition.

Yes, overall it's a very compelling update! Indeed, shame on the range, but I'd expect that to increase with OTA. Seems it has the fastest charging rate of any Tesla as it is, so that's something, and one assumes it will have CCS for EU, with a Type 2 adapter for the V2 locations.

I'm tempted too, but not in a rush as my Current lease ends September - would love to move back to a Model S from X, the latter being too impractical for the EU.

Stock just drops in Germany - TL0 - recall seems to be official now right?

bildschirmfoto2021-02xrksy.png

In the absence of news (none I've seen) or macro (futures strongly green all morning and still the case), this is purely the manipulation we see before the bulk of pre-market are allowed in at 13:00CET (07:00EST), but they sure laid it on thick today (checks the chart) - oh look first calls above puts are currently $835 this week, quelle surprise! They started early already...

upload_2021-2-2_13-9-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-2_13-7-27.png
    upload_2021-2-2_13-7-27.png
    99.9 KB · Views: 35
I got an email regarding my 2016 model S MCU1 recall! Once they get the parts they'll let me know when to come in. Psyched that Tesla is doing the right thing. Guess I'd better go decrease my limit buy order for today.

"Tesla has decided to voluntarily recall certain Model S and Model X vehicles built before March 2018 that are equipped with an 8GB embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) in the media control unit because the eMMC may malfunction due to accumulated wear. Our records show that you own a Model S or Model X affected by this recall.
If a malfunction occurs, you may experience a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen, loss of certain functionalities, and/or a vehicle alert to contact Service. There is no risk to vehicle drivability, including no effect on acceleration, braking or steering, and we are not aware of any accidents or injuries resulting from this condition.
If your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or newer and the eMMC malfunctions, then the rearview backup camera will remain available, the exterior turn signal lighting will remain functional, and the windshield defogging and defrosting controls will automatically default to a preset cabin temperature to ensure windshield visibility. If your vehicle is operating software older than 2020.48.12 and the eMMC malfunctions, then you may lose these functionalities. Please ensure that your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or a newer release. To find your current software release, complete an update or review a list of possible malfunctions, please visit our Support page. If the touchscreen is unavailable, then please perform a shoulder check and use your mirrors to back up safely.
Additionally, Tesla will upgrade, free of charge, the eMMC on your vehicle with an enhanced 64GB eMMC.There is no need at this time to contact us as we will notify you when the parts become available. We kindly ask that you do not schedule a service appointment unless you receive a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation or are actively experiencing a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen. If you already paid for repairs that addressed the condition covered by this recall, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will share details about reimbursement and eligibility by the end of March 2021.
Thank you for being a Tesla customer, and we apologize for this inconvenience.
LEARN MORE
Most Common FAQ
Q: Is my Model S/X affected by this recall?

A: All owners can check if their VIN is affected at either the Tesla VIN Recall Search or the NHTSA VIN Recall Search.
Q: Is my car safe to drive?
A: There is no risk to vehicle drivability if the eMMC malfunctions, including no effect on acceleration, braking or steering. But if your vehicle is running software older than 2020.48.12 and the eMMC malfunctions, then you may lose access to the rearview backup camera display, exterior turn signal lighting, and access to windshield defogging and defrosting controls. If these functions are not available, drivers can continue to operate the vehicle by performing a shoulder check and using their mirrors, taking care when making turns, and assuring clear visibility when driving.
Q: How can I make an appointment for this recall?
A: If you are the registered owner, the only action you need to take at this time is to confirm that your vehicle is running software release 2020.48.12 or a newer release and, if it is not, to install the newest available release. There is no other immediate action that you need to take at this time, and you may continue to drive your vehicle. We will notify you when replacement parts are available. Until then, please do not schedule a Tesla Service appointment unless you receive a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation or are actively experiencing a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen."

Mods, I understand this isn't the thread for this but I believe it will affect the share price, even if only for a couple of seconds.
;)

Last edited:
I got an email regarding my 2016 model S MCU1 recall! Once they get the parts they'll let me know when to come in. Psyched that Tesla is doing the right thing. Guess I'd better go decrease my limit buy order for today.

"Tesla has decided to voluntarily recall certain Model S and Model X vehicles built before March 2018 that are equipped with an 8GB embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) in the media control unit because the eMMC may malfunction due to accumulated wear. Our records show that you own a Model S or Model X affected by this recall.
If a malfunction occurs, you may experience a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen, loss of certain functionalities, and/or a vehicle alert to contact Service. There is no risk to vehicle drivability, including no effect on acceleration, braking or steering, and we are not aware of any accidents or injuries resulting from this condition.
If your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or newer and the eMMC malfunctions, then the rearview backup camera will remain available, the exterior turn signal lighting will remain functional, and the windshield defogging and defrosting controls will automatically default to a preset cabin temperature to ensure windshield visibility. If your vehicle is operating software older than 2020.48.12 and the eMMC malfunctions, then you may lose these functionalities. Please ensure that your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or a newer release. To find your current software release, complete an update or review a list of possible malfunctions, please visit our Support page. If the touchscreen is unavailable, then please perform a shoulder check and use your mirrors to back up safely.
Additionally, Tesla will upgrade, free of charge, the eMMC on your vehicle with an enhanced 64GB eMMC.There is no need at this time to contact us as we will notify you when the parts become available. We kindly ask that you do not schedule a service appointment unless you receive a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation or are actively experiencing a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen. If you already paid for repairs that addressed the condition covered by this recall, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will share details about reimbursement and eligibility by the end of March 2021.
Thank you for being a Tesla customer, and we apologize for this inconvenience.
LEARN MORE
Most Common FAQ
Q: Is my Model S/X affected by this recall?

A: All owners can check if their VIN is affected at either the Tesla VIN Recall Search or the NHTSA VIN Recall Search.
Q: Is my car safe to drive?
A: There is no risk to vehicle drivability if the eMMC malfunctions, including no effect on acceleration, braking or steering. But if your vehicle is running software older than 2020.48.12 and the eMMC malfunctions, then you may lose access to the rearview backup camera display, exterior turn signal lighting, and access to windshield defogging and defrosting controls. If these functions are not available, drivers can continue to operate the vehicle by performing a shoulder check and using their mirrors, taking care when making turns, and assuring clear visibility when driving.
Q: How can I make an appointment for this recall?
A: If you are the registered owner, the only action you need to take at this time is to confirm that your vehicle is running software release 2020.48.12 or a newer release and, if it is not, to install the newest available release. There is no other immediate action that you need to take at this time, and you may continue to drive your vehicle. We will notify you when replacement parts are available. Until then, please do not schedule a Tesla Service appointment unless you receive a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation or are actively experiencing a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen."

Mods, I understand this isn't the thread for this but I believe it will affect the share price, even if only for a couple of seconds.
;)

This may account for the drop just before pre-market

OT: Officers Saver and Rex rescue two girls from attempted carjacking at Tesla Supercharger
San Marcos police officer and K-9 rescue two girls from attempted carjacking | KXAN Austin

Glad everyone is ok. Much gratitude to the two officers.
I've tweeted this to Elon before but we really do need an emergency button while supercharging. A button on the screen that calls 9/11, locks all doors, enables sentry recordings, and lets you drive off. I'd happy buy Tesla a new Supercharger if it meant not getting shot. Right now we are sitting ducks and sooner or later more bad guys will figure that out. This especially limits women traveling alone. The automated charging snake would be a good solution too.

Well, that didn't take long...

GM's newest car is a V-8 Cadillac sedan that tops 200 mph

Buried at the end: even the automotive press has moved on from breathlessly praising GM for going all-electric by 2035, to, well, have a look:

The company as a whole last week announced plans to be carbon-neutral by 2040, led by “aspirations” to exclusively offer EVs by 2035.​

Their quotes, not mine!

I guess that's the price you pay when after your big electrification announcement, your next big announcement is two brand-new flagship ICE cars. But hey, at least you've still got a new logo.