Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's lost in this whole BTC fiasco is that we are forgetting that Elon did start paypal.com that revolutionized the payment industry...trust that he knows a thing or two about payment cycles, etc....This will all blow over soon....or be the next catalyst for $TSLA when bitcoin hits $100k :)

Who knows right? Fundamentally...$TSLA is still on track and nothings changed.

upload_2021-2-8_13-13-58.png

According to WSB, Saylor would be all of our wives boyfriend providing the tendies.

He had the nuts to call himself a Rocket Scientist and Elon listened.

BRAVO.

Last edited:
Serious question...If we cannot control Battery technology, and we are setting up 2 new gigafactories, are we concerned if one of the many new Battery start-ups come up with a new battery technology that is much better than what we currently have and what we are planning as we have already committed resources to our current Giga set up. There is so much capacity coming on stream over the next few years and the Europeans will be building their own plants funded by the EU, Should we be somewhat concerned?

Are you seriously questioning whether there will be a glut of batteries in the next few years?

Would that this were even possible.

Serious question...If we cannot control Battery technology, and we are setting up 2 new gigafactories, are we concerned if one of the many new Battery start-ups come up with a new battery technology that is much better than what we currently have and what we are planning as we have already committed resources to our current Giga set up. There is so much capacity coming on stream over the next few years and the Europeans will be building their own plants funded by the EU, Should we be somewhat concerned?

If some startup has a battery breakthrough that’s superior in performance, doesn’t degrade after thousands of cycles, and is cheaper and easier to make than what Tesla developed after pouring hundreds of millions of dollars of research over a decade - you can bet they would sell themselves to the highest bidder.

Who do you think that would be?

And what the devil does this mean “If we cannot control battery technology “

Last edited:
If some startup has a battery breakthrough that’s superior in performance, doesn’t degrade after thousands of cycles, and is cheaper and easier to make than what Tesla developed after pouring hundreds of millions of dollars of research over a decade - you can bet they would sell themselves to the highest bidder.

Apple would be the highest bidder.

Meaning, there is so much new Battery Technology going on right now, so many new players that are working on the next big thing. We can only control what we have and what we are currently working on for future battery technology. We do not own all of these other firms out in the market coming up with new battery technology. We cannot be so sure that a new technology will not leapfrog what we have.

• Disagree
Reactions: replicant and GOVA
Meaning, there is so much new Battery Technology going on right now, so many new players that are working on the next big thing. We can only control what we have and what we are currently working on for future battery technology. We do not own all of these other firms out in the market coming up with new battery technology. We cannot be so sure that a new technology will not leapfrog what we have.
More better batteries are/will be a good thing.
The world will need a crap ton.

Tesla does ethnographic studies and basic research in batteries. It's possible, but unlikely, that some new magic will be created and Tesla won't be able to buy it out early. This goes for pretty much any other company you can invest in.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
In a word no, but this is a great question for us to ask periodically as a temp check on the world. The reason we don't have to worry is that speed of innovation is the new currency(new oil), not simply innovation. You can have all the ideas you like, brining them out of the lab to market and to scale is the tough part.

Tesla literally owns speed of innovation and is nearly at scale. The next thing for investors to "worry about" isn't "the competition" catching up, but something more like being ready for the transition to a more Star Trek-esque reality where equities and currencies matter far less.

And I'm not about to "worry" about that because it means I trade my shares for an awesome one-piece uniform.

So no.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it seems this BTC news has a mixed reaction among analysts too, it's not just the folks here that are in two camps.

Tesla itself, (bulls vs. TSLAQ) and many of Tesla decisions/designs have often been polarizing. In fact more often than not, I found large camps of people either loving or hating a specific Tesla decision/design/change. X doors, FSD/robotaxi, CyberTruck, new S wheel, no-stalks, etc, etc...

I've been effectively desensitized to polarizing Tesla actions. But the BTC purchase, has taken me off guard. The polarization seems order of magnitude bigger than what I'm now accustomed to with regard to anything Tesla. Quite amazing, honestly...

I'm still struggling to figure out how I feel. It's either nothing-burger, and will soon be forgotten, or it's so fundamental/game changing that we can't even comprehend the end game. Which one, it is, is probably a [b/tr]illion dollar question.

Tesla itself, (bulls vs. TSLAQ) and many of Tesla decisions/designs have often been polarizing. In fact more often than not, I found large camps of people either loving or hating a specific Tesla decision/design/change. X doors, FSD/robotaxi, CyberTruck, new S wheel, no-stalks, etc, etc...

I've been effectively desensitized to polarizing Tesla actions. But the BTC purchase, has taken me off guard. The polarization seems order of magnitude bigger than what I'm now accustomed to with regard to anything Tesla. Quite amazing, honestly...

I'm still struggling to figure out how I feel. It's either nothing-burger, and will soon be forgotten, or it's so fundamental/game changing that we can't even comprehend the end game. Which one, it is, is probably a [b/tr]illion dollar question.
It isn't just the shock of this reveal that has thrown people off; the uncertainty of Tesla's purpose is making some uncomfortable.

Ron Baron said it well: I look forward to learning the rationale.

It isn't just the shock of this reveal that has thrown people off; the uncertainty of Tesla's purpose is making some uncomfortable.

Elon's brilliance and fearlessness has always been tinged with a bit of what appears to be craziness as well as unpredictability. In the long run, many of his actions and goals which initially seemed to be based on foolish optimism actually turn out to be visionary. Electric cars, reusable rockets, direct-to-consumer car sales, all seemed absurd previously. Still not sure about the neuralink thing, but he'll probably prove me wrong there.

I personally am doubtful that Bitcoin is all that it is cracked up to be, and always thought it felt more like a pump-and-dump scheme, but there is a critical element of herd acceptance involved with currency and this move by Elon has helped lay very solid foundation to the legitimacy of bitcoin as an accepted store of value. He understands the tremendous degree of leverage and influence that he holds and is using it to shape the future of bitcoin and crypto.

Tasha Keeney also pointed out that it could help Tesla with managing their foreign currency from international sales, so it will be interesting to see how they take advantage of this.

Not at all for a few reasons:
  • Tesla is probably more aware of all the bleeding edge battery development going on in all the skunkworks globally than any other large scale battery manufacturer. So it’s doubtful any new tech will catch them off guard.
  • Battery Day was a unique display where Tesla bucked the industry norms of secrecy and showed their cards to all. Was it boastful pride, a strategy from The Art of War, or wishful thinking?
  • The feedback I’m hearing from the naysayers is “this is nothing new and the big boys have even better results, they just keep them under wraps”. Ultium will decimate the 4680.
  • But I believe the 4680 caught them all off guard and now it’s just a matter of time before the pouch cell battery for automotive applications becomes the 8 track cassette version of battery tech. Re:Bolt/Hyundai/I-pace/Samsung/Boeing.
  • What should really put the fear of Elon in the legacies future plans is, what is Tesla working on next. The 4680 is just the next gen which leaves the competition in the dust. Just about the time they get within 2 years, Tesla Tech will announce their next revolution in innovation. Lather, rinse, repeat. Have we seen any evidence to break this cycle?

I thought Saylor was joking when he said he was a "Rocket Scientist". I ASSumed he meant Emojis going to the moon, or some other WSB tendie provider He is a legitimate Rocket Scientist.

[Saylor]He graduated from MIT in 1987, with a double major in aeronautics and astronautics; and science, technology, and society.

Him and Elon have better pedigrees and accomplishment than any of us here And we have "computer programmers" here who mined some crypto thinking they know something and have special insight in crypto and why this is "bad". They have no clue.

Anyone complaining here about BTC is regurgitating and copying facts/data they truly don't understand. Go where the puck is headed, not where the puck is at.

I am expecting Tesla to do amazing cryptographic products with their cars using proof of stake mechanisms that don't require the energy that proof of work uses:

Proof of Stake (PoS)

The Tesla cars you own are your PoS validators. Everyone who owns a Tesla gets to participate. The limits of win here is boundless. Crypto is evolving much like EVs and autonomy.

Saylor and Musk have 4D thinking. People who want to be obstinate about Tesla's BTC play, I wish they had a chance to opt out. I WANT THOSE PREFERRED SHARES AND ALL THE RISK/UPSIDE THAT COMES WITH IT. Sell the stock to me if the potato is too hot.

Last edited: