Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t seen it mentioned, but the behavior of the forum update results in fewer posts / replies from me. I usually try to not get too many pages behind, but we all have lives...so when I return to catch up and start reading, I used to reply often as I read. Now when I reply, it takes me to my new post which screws up the “jump to new” option because all messages are marked read after submitting a reply? I think some of you have tried to use the multi quote to work around this limitation, but I have to say that creates some abhorrent walls of text that I can’t make it through. Disappointed that I am engaging less now 😢

1615797532353.png

1615797561894.png

I haven’t seen it mentioned, but the behavior of the forum update results in fewer posts / replies from me. I usually try to not get too many pages behind, but we all have lives...so when I return to catch up and start reading, I used to reply often as I read. Now when I reply, it takes me to my new post which screws up the “jump to new” option because all messages are marked read after submitting a reply? I think some of you have tried to use the multi quote to work around this limitation, but I have to say that creates some abhorrent walls of text that I can’t make it through. Disappointed that I am engaging less now 😢
Just use multiple tabs.

Keep your primary tab for reading and open the link to any post you want to reply to in a new tab. Then you can either reply as you go in the secondary tabs while not losing your position on the main tab, or catch up entirely on the thread and have a series of remaining tabs open that you want to reply to.

I prefer the second option as there are many time where the reply I was going to give has been said by someone else.

NTSB complaint about Tesla, could affect its stock price

Whenever I encounter a defective product, I always wish that companies should encourage their management, design team and employees to use their own product to discover issues and improve quality before customers having issues and start to file complaints. So, it is a very good idea to use your own employees/customers to test the products beforehand before releasing to the public.

As I read news about The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) raised concerns over Tesla use of customers to use the beta versions of the FSD SW on public roads. The NTSB has urged the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to be proactive in using federal requirements to regulate such automated driving systems on public roads. This is really coming from near-sighted minds. It has been reported that as customers using the beta FSD they are more aware of the traffic and safety issues compared to their normal driving without the SW. We know that Tesla has a way for customers to immediately send back data of issues encountered so the SW design will be perfect when it is released for subscription. The customers always monitor the FSD and take over if there is the need

That is the best way to make sure the product has been used/tested in REAL road conditions, instead of fabricated test area. The FSD SW is a safety enhancement device to avoid traffic collisions and save lives, injuries and loss of money, per NHTSA’s literature/guide. Microsoft released many SW updates that resulted in uproar of customer complaints. Mozilla is wiser in letting people use their beta versions of its Firefox browser before releasing the official version.

My purpose for this post is to encourage TMC members to voice their support for use of the beta versions with NHTSA as Elon also tries to convince authorities to give complete automated control to customers for both trial run and final use.

I have a plea to limit the trivial chitchat/quarrel so important messages can come through. Thanks.

Good catch. That's awesome.

There are a number of sensors placed throughout the world to monitor air quality by various companies. My company subscribes to data feeds from some of those companies. Our data dorks (no offense @ZeApelido) are making *amazing* correlations between air quality and health events and we're starting to create interventions for people that are, say, exposed to a spike in PM 2.5 because they live close to a bus stop.

Will happily discuss this more over PMs.

I can't see why the car itself couldn't monitor as Zach/Jesse/Now You Know used PM2.5 meter on th eLOndon Underground (really bad results from a hundred years of friction rather than electrical braking).

Having a large anonymous data set of areas/pollution would be very useful for pollution/health research

Who sold? You only owe taxes if you sell. And if you’ve been day trading and not setting money aside for taxes ahead of time I hope this 33% drop was the only time you need to learn that lesson.
Tesla related - choice/force sell/buy timing due to tax systems outside USA, for individuals & implications for Baillie Gifford etc.

UK - many people will be "Bed & Breakfasting" from taxable to ISA* accounts next few weeks, sell in one tax year in taxable a/c (below capital gains tax limit of £12,300 profit) & buy in ISA a few days/weeks later. More awkward this year due to when USA & UK Easter holidays/Tax year ends (5 April, new one begins 6 April).

Obviously UK pretty minor in terms of shares held/traded, but might there be similar in other countries? UK legal/tax legacy eg Canada, Hong Kong, Australia plus various EU & Rest of World countries.

Baillie Gifford might be affected, they're still quite a large Tesla investor. It's just temporary, but mixed in with production/delivery numbers & usual Tesla FUD etc it might be something, good or bad. Because of Easter bank holidays in USA & UK, some might have cash for a couple of weeks until 6th April, so risk either way of losing/gaining some shares against benefit of further appreciation over years/decade being tax free.

Anyone in UK doing this, feel free to PM me with sell dates etc, I haven't done this myself for many years, but need to this year. I think my old broker offered a B&B service, but current one doesn't (they said).

*ISA = Individual Savings Accounts, pay in taxed money, any outflows/dividends tax free, unlike pensions where it's tax-free money (sort of) in & taxed out.

Just use multiple tabs.

Keep your primary tab for reading and open the link to any post you want to reply to in a new tab. Then you can either reply as you go in the secondary tabs while not losing your position on the main tab, or catch up entirely on the thread and have a series of remaining tabs open that you want to reply to.

I prefer the second option as there are many time where the reply I was going to give has been said by someone else.

That works. When I did duplicate tabs & then reply, it was holding my last reply/quote.

Opening the INDIVIDUAL post in a new tab (top right link on post) works much better.

Thx

New 8K from Tesla 😂

tsla-8k_20210315.htm

"Effective as of March 15, 2021, the titles of Elon Musk and Zach Kirkhorn have changed to Technoking of Tesla and Master of Coin, respectively. Elon and Zach will also maintain their respective positions as Chief Executive Officer and Chief Financial Office"

Say what you want but no one can accuse these people of painting within the lines. Refreshing! Sligthly dissappointing that it is signed "Zachary J. Kirkhorn,
Chief Financial Officer" (Dude you should sign with your new official titel Master of Coin).

Tesla related - choice/force sell/buy timing due to tax systems outside USA, for individuals & implications for Baillie Gifford etc.

UK - many people will be "Bed & Breakfasting" from taxable to ISA* accounts next few weeks, sell in one tax year in taxable a/c (below capital gains tax limit of £12,300 profit) & buy in ISA a few days/weeks later. More awkward this year due to when USA & UK Easter holidays/Tax year ends (5 April, new one begins 6 April).

Obviously UK pretty minor in terms of shares held/traded, but might there be similar in other countries? UK legal/tax legacy eg Canada, Hong Kong, Australia plus various EU & Rest of World countries.

Baillie Gifford might be affected, they're still quite a large Tesla investor. It's just temporary, but mixed in with production/delivery numbers & usual Tesla FUD etc it might be something, good or bad. Because of Easter bank holidays in USA & UK, some might have cash for a couple of weeks until 6th April, so risk either way of losing/gaining some shares against benefit of further appreciation over years/decade being tax free.

Anyone in UK doing this, feel free to PM me with sell dates etc, I haven't done this myself for many years, but need to this year. I think my old broker offered a B&B service, but current one doesn't (they said).

*ISA = Individual Savings Accounts, pay in taxed money, any outflows/dividends tax free, unlike pensions where it's tax-free money (sort of) in & taxed out.
How does the B&B service work? Is the idea that your money always remains invested with the broker managing the transition by lending shares, for e.g.?

Note that as clocks went forward in the US, we in the EU get the pleasure of the markets shifted one hour earlier for the next couple of weeks ☺️
It's a welcome change for us in Australia. Markets will now open at 12.30am instead of 1.30am. Then once we go off daylight savings time, market opening will be 11.30am and I'll finally be able to get a decent nights sleep.😴

For the FSD Beta Tesla is framing the rules, maybe a car needs a camera to be in the Beta?
Given that there are FSD Betas showing what is an X or S screen, that doesn't appear to be a requirement, or at least it wasn't a requirement in the past. I suspect S and X owners, such as myself, will be quite annoyed if they don't have the option of getting the Beta semi-public version.

They are hinting tesla semi now big time. Jerome taking the role and the track video yesterday. Seems their battery production is ramping nicely.
Are you referring to the 4680 batteries? Hope you are right but thought I read here that they plan on using the 2160 batteries in the semis at first until they can get the 4680 batteries ramped up. Could be wrong.

Taxes on $TSLA gains of 740% last year will likely result in large taxes due for many investors, on April 15th, even though many investors pay estimated taxes quarterly. Are there echos, or indications of shares being sold in the market for these events? Are we headed for weeks of stock selling for tax payments over the next four weeks? Is money flow good for tracking this and if so, where can I find records of money flow for TSLA?
I doubt it. Most likely people pay the estimated tax at the time of sale (or distribution in the case of IRAs and similar). No one wants a surprise tax bill.

I think in the UK this kind of transfer into your ISA is now known as BED & ISA (not sure the 'Bed & Breakfasting' thing still applies) - you can do it at any point in the tax year, not just over the tax year transition.

I use this method annually to move trading account TSLA into my ISA - pick a point when the share price is low (relatively speaking) so you can move as many as possible within the £20k limit.